Ford to Scale Back V-8 Engine Output

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Think Aviator GT on steroids

This is great! Now of course I’m going to get greedy. When I think Aviator I think 400hp 3.0 EcoBoost with a 10spd and an electric motor in the bell housing. 

Extrapolate that out and I can imagine a 400+ hp Coyote with a similar driveline in a Mustang. 

I think I read that Aviator has something like 600hp and ungodly torque right from the get go with the petrol engine and electric motor working in concert. 

Here’s where I get crazy. I think such a system in a Mustang could allow said vehicle to kick rocks at something like a Hellcat or ZL1 or whatever they call them. Am I very far off?

15 minutes ago, Stray Kat said:

This is great! Now of course I’m going to get greedy. When I think Aviator I think 400hp 3.0 EcoBoost with a 10spd and an electric motor in the bell housing. 

Extrapolate that out and I can imagine a 400+ hp Coyote with a similar driveline in a Mustang. 

I think I read that Aviator has something like 600hp and ungodly torque right from the get go with the petrol engine and electric motor working in concert. 

Here’s where I get crazy. I think such a system in a Mustang could allow said vehicle to kick rocks at something like a Hellcat or ZL1 or whatever they call them. Am I very far off?

I haven't heard much about it but that sounds like a reasonable extrapolation. I'm not sure what the HP/torque targets are but it's also still very early in the process so there's probably a fair amount of tweaking and tuning left to do. 

On 5/4/2019 at 8:08 AM, twintornados said:

Lets not forget EVERY CHEVY V8 (and the 4.3L Vortec V6) in current production and the Dodge/RAM Hemi V8

Pushrods are back in vogue....Now if Ford would create a V6 version of the new 7.3L V8 ...that would be a nice base engine to install in F150 for fleet use....

I thought the 4.3 was gone like 10 years ago to be honest ?.

5 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Actually it is 450 hp and 600 ft.lbs of. torque

27 minutes ago, snooter said:

$5 gas is on the horizon and many will soon wonder why the hell ford ended fiesta production....

Because the difference in cost of gas yearly between and Ecosport and a Fiesta is only $250 bucks a year at $2.85 a gallon gas. The difference from going from 15 to 25 is huge, but going from 25 to 35 isn't nearly as much. 

Plus, outside of a major international incident in the middle east, gas isn't going get over $3.50-4 a gallon outside of California-and that price is their own fault with all the taxes they have on fuel. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Plus, outside of a major international incident in the middle east, gas isn't going get over $3.50-4 a gallon outside of California-and that price is their own fault with all the taxes they have on fuel. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/05/politics/iran-carrier-bomber-task-force/index.html

Dateline today....US Warships to Iran....

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I haven't heard much about it but that sounds like a reasonable extrapolation. I'm not sure what the HP/torque targets are but it's also still very early in the process so there's probably a fair amount of tweaking and tuning left to do. 

I'd originally assumed the hybid Mustang would use a similar setup to the Aviator GT........and I also assumed, therefore, that the hybrid would only arrive once the Mustang moved to a new platform (CD6 for S650).

However, if it uses the setup as per the recent patent diagrams, I guess that could be retro fitted to the current S550?

ford-mustang-hybrid-engine-patent.jpg

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

I'd originally assumed the hybid Mustang would use a similar setup to the Aviator GT........and I also assumed, therefore, that the hybrid would only arrive once the Mustang moved to a new platform (CD6 for S650).

However, if it uses the setup as per the recent patent diagrams, I guess that could be retro fitted to the current S550?

ford-mustang-hybrid-engine-patent.jpg

I thought for a long time the Hybrid would be for NG Mustang but recent indications are that a little further out than we all initially thought, even after news came out that it was delayed.

The latest rumor (extra emphasis on RUMOR) is S550 will get another refresh for either MY2021 or MY2022, and that's when the Hybrid will make its debut. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The latest rumor (extra emphasis on RUMOR) is S550 will get another refresh for either MY2021 or MY2022, and that's when the Hybrid will make its debut. 

Thanks Fuzzy.......yeah, I'd heard about a '21MY refresh so I guess it would make sense to debut the hybrid at that point......or shortly after :)

On 5/6/2019 at 10:55 AM, Twin Turbo said:

Thanks Fuzzy.......yeah, I'd heard about a '21MY refresh so I guess it would make sense to debut the hybrid at that point......or shortly after :)

This article states both the F150 and Mustang hybrids will appear next year (2020):  https://www.autonews.com/marketing/ford-pushes-overtake-toyota-hybrid-sales

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

Finger's crossed that points to a '21MY refresh for the Mustang then (as the F150 is scheduled for a '21MY refresh as indicated in the new thread today) :)

There''s been some photos of the Mustang with new bumpers-I hope they do more then that with the refresh. 

• Like 1

Yeah.....this prototype leaves me puzzled. The turn signal/fog light appears to be slightly higher than the current car, and clearly there's something different about the front bumper......but if they're going to the bother of changing things, it needs more than this in my opinion.

ford-mustang-hybrid-possible-test-mule.j

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 1:59 PM, Steve557 said:

I prefer the simplicity of the NA V8 and ya the sound is a nice selling feature.

I can’t see the V8 F-150 going anywhere for a long time as long. As the Mustang has a V8 which I assume/hope is for the rest of my lifetime.

I'm with you there hoping it does not disappear, but just in case I'm getting on that V8 train before it leaves for good. 

• Like 1