Ford to Scale Back V-8 Engine Output

From Automotive News:

"WINDSOR, Ontario — Ford Motor Co. is dropping one of three production shifts at its Essex engine plant in Windsor, Ontario, in October because of waning demand for 5.0-liter V-8 engines in the automaker’s F-series trucks.  The move was made “to better align with consumer demand,” a Ford Canada spokesman told Automotive News Canada in an email."

"F-series truck buyers can choose among 2.7-, 3.3-, 3.5- and 5.0-liter engines — as well as a diesel variant — and many are opting for smaller engines, D’Agnolo said."

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-scale-back-v-8-engine-output-ontario-plant 

17 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

So much for the V8 or nothing crowd 

Ford has done a great job improving its turbo V6 gasoline engines in the past few years. Plus they added a turbo V6 diesel for F-150. Combine that with lots of rah rah promotion for both Ecoboost and V6 diesel, and it's no surprise that V8 demand is dropping.

Edited by rperez817

20 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

So much for the V8 or nothing crowd 

That's funny i missed the part where the article said they were selling none.  There is still a V8 or nothing crowd, it is just getting smaller and will continue to shrink.  It's sad but inevitable as not only the technology erases the performance gap but fuel gets more expensive and less people care about the V8's  biggest and best advantage the "SOUND".

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, tzach said:

There is still a V8 or nothing crowd, it is just getting smaller and will continue to shrink.

Among full size LD pickup trucks, Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan are the only ones that are V8 only at this point. Ford F-150, Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra, and Ram 1500 all have at least one non-V8 engine option. They're all pretty good.

43 minutes ago, tzach said:

That's funny i missed the part where the article said they were selling none.  There is still a V8 or nothing crowd, it is just getting smaller and will continue to shrink.  It's sad but inevitable as not only the technology erases the performance gap but fuel gets more expensive and less people care about the V8's  biggest and best advantage the "SOUND".

I prefer the simplicity of the NA V8 and ya the sound is a nice selling feature.

I can’t see the V8 F-150 going anywhere for a long time as long. As the Mustang has a V8 which I assume/hope is for the rest of my lifetime.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Steve557 said:

I prefer the simplicity of the NA V8 and ya the sound is a nice selling feature.

Which truck offers a simple NA V8? 

Ford has dual injection systems, TiVCT, etc, Ram and GM have displacement on demand.  None of which is 'simple.'

OK, maybe Toyota and Nissan.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Ford has dual injection systems, TiVCT, etc, Ram and GM have displacement on demand.  None of which is 'simple.'

In comparison to the Eco Boost the NA is much simpler.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Ford has done a great job improving its turbo V6 gasoline engines in the past few years. Plus they added a turbo V6 diesel for F-150. Combine that with lots of rah rah promotion for both Ecoboost and V6 diesel, and it's no surprise that V8 demand is dropping.

Funny, I cant remember ever seeing a commercial or ad for the F150 diesel on TV.  Even Ice-Capades stated on here that Ford marketing for the diesel is near non existant and that many customers are not even aware it is an option.

Edited by blwnsmoke

1 hour ago, fordmantpw said:

The simple low tech pushrod V8 of yore is gone from full size pickup trucks.

The Nissan VK56VD V8 engine in the Titan is quite high tech. DOHC, direct injection, dual cam VVT, and variable valve lift (VVEL). And the UR series engine in the comparatively ancient Toyota Tundra still uses a modern DOHC configuration and dual cam VVT.

48 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

The Nissan VK56VD V8 engine in the Titan is quite high tech. DOHC, direct injection, dual cam VVT, and variable valve lift (VVEL). And the UR series engine in the comparatively ancient Toyota Tundra still uses a modern DOHC configuration and dual cam VVT.

Except for the new 7.3 for the Super Duty and Heavy trucks. 

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

I didn't know the details of the Nissan and Toyota, so said maybe on those.

40 minutes ago, Steve557 said:

I would consider the 6.2 to be fairly low tech for an engine nowadays also. Very reliable too.

True, but that's not in the same class as the others.

15 hours ago, rperez817 said:

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Except for the new 7.3 for the Super Duty and Heavy trucks. 

Lets not forget EVERY CHEVY V8 (and the 4.3L Vortec V6) in current production and the Dodge/RAM Hemi V8

Pushrods are back in vogue....Now if Ford would create a V6 version of the new 7.3L V8 ...that would be a nice base engine to install in F150 for fleet use....

8 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Lets not forget EVERY CHEVY V8 (and the 4.3L Vortec V6) in current production and the Dodge/RAM Hemi V8

Pushrods are back in vogue....Now if Ford would create a V6 version of the new 7.3L V8 ...that would be a nice base engine to install in F150 for fleet use....

4.3 is the only one that doesn't have displacement on demand. There is a reason GM requires dealers to stock the oil control manifold, lifters, camshaft, etc. The days of the "simple" V8 are gone. Rumor is the new Tundra will have a turbo V6.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, twintornados said:

So, is there hope of a 7.3L V8 in F150's future?? Asking for a friend....

image.png.66156c65f89177d918a21d2d9c5466c7.png

TT-again keep in mind the 7.3 is designed as a truck engine-and a medium duty at that and in my mind 19,500 gvw and above.  Should be an absolute home run in 650 and 750 but in typical Ford fashion most of the articles I read in truck rags rarely even mention 650/750 in the same breath as 7.3.  Typical dumb ass Ford marketers.  At this point they are an exclusive when in comes to class 7 conventionals with gasoline power and they aren't tooting that horn.  I recognize it is not available until MY 20 but now is the time to be creating buzz-I would think.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

4.3 is the only one that doesn't have displacement on demand. There is a reason GM requires dealers to stock the oil control manifold, lifters, camshaft, etc. The days of the "simple" V8 are gone. Rumor is the new Tundra will have a turbo V6.

The GM 4.3 V6 has AFM but it only it just shuts down two cylinders, 

19 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Do you think there could be a 4 - 4.5 liter V8 to replace 5.0? The Mustang without a V8 would be like a mid engine Corvette.....ughhhhh, I hope that doesn't happen

Mustang is different, wait until you see the hybrid Coyote next year....one thing is for sure, it ain't no Prius...

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 1:08 PM, rperez817 said:

Except that, at least in our market, there's little interest in the F-150's V6 Diesel. I don't know whether it's a matter of prospective buyers here not knowing the diesel is available or something else. I have yet to see any mention of the diesel in any F-150 advertising here. The one we had was a 2018MY that sat forever until we finally sold it. 

18 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Except that, at least in our market, there's little interest in the F-150's V6 Diesel. I don't know whether it's a matter of prospective buyers here not knowing the diesel is available or something else. I have yet to see any mention of the diesel in any F-150 advertising here. The one we had was a 2018MY that sat forever until we finally sold it. 

I've seen 1 on the road here in the land of A-plan.