Jump to content

New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

  • Custom Search


  • 0
RIcky Ranger

Bad Fuel Injector 2019 Ranger

Question

My brand new Ranger’s Check Engine Light came on at about 380 miles. I took it to the dealership and the service technician cleared the alert. He drove a couple of new Rangers on his lot and reported a pronounced hesitation at lower speeds. I told them I had experienced the same behavior. Ford Corporate was contacted and the tech was directed to check the fuel injectors. Low and behold, the #2 fuel injector   Needs to be replaced. The service writer called to tell me there are no replacement parts available per his ordering system. 

Does anyone have an educated guess as to how long it will take to get the part out here to California and when I’ll be getting my truck back? 

Bonus point questions:

How many fuel injectors does my Ranger have? 

If one fuel injector  is bad is it indicative that the others will have problems? 

Edited by RIcky Ranger
Misspelled word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
9 hours ago, YT90SC said:

TSB 19-2145 does not include any parts. It is only a reprogram. If you have a junk injector, it will not help to change software. 

I can not find that TSB on the 'net !  Anyone got a link ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The TSB did nothing to improve my new Ranger’s low speed hesitation issues. The dealership, despite having diagnosed the bad injector 15 days ago, has not received the parts despite promises from Corporate. No one can tell me when I will be able to get my truck back. I am horribly disappointed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/10/2019 at 7:20 PM, RIcky Ranger said:

The TSB did nothing to improve my new Ranger’s low speed hesitation issues. The dealership, despite having diagnosed the bad injector 15 days ago, has not received the parts despite promises from Corporate. No one can tell me when I will be able to get my truck back. I am horribly disappointed.  

Did they give you a service loaner in the meantime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/10/2019 at 8:20 PM, RIcky Ranger said:

The TSB did nothing to improve my new Ranger’s low speed hesitation issues. The dealership, despite having diagnosed the bad injector 15 days ago, has not received the parts despite promises from Corporate. No one can tell me when I will be able to get my truck back. I am horribly disappointed.  

I understand your disappointment but you should look at this in context. Cars are very complex machines and things can go wrong even when they’re brand new. It's unfortunate you happened to get one with an issue but look at the bright side, at least your dealer is working with you to try and rectify it, and aside from the corporate customer service being a little rude and making promises they might not have been able to keep (I doubt a call center rep is privy to parts availability) your experience really hasn't been terrible. It's not like you've been told to f*** off from the start. Too many dealers try to me shitty about situations like that. 

Its still very early into production so it's not surprising that parts availability is a little thin at the moment. Suppliers main goal right now is to keep that line moving so that's where the primary focus for them is. Try to be patient and realize it could be much worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, tbone said:

Did they give you a service loaner in the meantime?

No, but to be fair, I did not buy my truck from the dealership doing the repairs. I want to build a good relationship with them so I did not push getting a loaner. I have my kid’s car while is away at college. Hopefully, this will get resolved before school gets out next month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I understand your disappointment but you should look at this in context. Cars are very complex machines and things can go wrong even when they’re brand new. It's unfortunate you happened to get one with an issue but look at the bright side, at least your dealer is working with you to try and rectify it, and aside from the corporate customer service being a little rude and making promises they might not have been able to keep (I doubt a call center rep is privy to parts availability) your experience really hasn't been terrible. It's not like you've been told to f*** off from the start. Too many dealers try to me shitty about situations like that. 

Its still very early into production so it's not surprising that parts availability is a little thin at the moment. Suppliers main goal right now is to keep that line moving so that's where the primary focus for them is. Try to be patient and realize it could be much worse. 

I am really trying to be understanding and patient. Yes, It could be worse. I still feel like crap. By the way, It was the Corporate area rep who told me the parts were being expedited, not the call center. 

I am that older guy Ford should have asked to make a commercial for them about why this is a perfect vehicle for us active seniors. I did tons of research and the Ranger checked so many boxes. I truly hope things turn around quickly. I want to be their biggest fan again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, RIcky Ranger said:

I am really trying to be understanding and patient. Yes, It could be worse. I still feel like crap. By the way, It was the Corporate area rep who told me the parts were being expedited, not the call center. 

I am that older guy Ford should have asked to make a commercial for them about why this is a perfect vehicle for us active seniors. I did tons of research and the Ranger checked so many boxes. I truly hope things turn around quickly. I want to be their biggest fan again. 

Give it some time, parts will roll in eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, RIcky Ranger said:

No, but to be fair, I did not buy my truck from the dealership doing the repairs. I want to build a good relationship with them so I did not push getting a loaner. I have my kid’s car while is away at college. Hopefully, this will get resolved before school gets out next month. 

I bought my truck at a different dealer (a family friend) but have all the service work done at a dealer near my house. They give me a service loaner every time without hesitation.  I wouldn’t be afraid to ask for one at this point, as it is a new truck. I had some issues right off the bat with my F-150 (the brand new ten speed) but things have been good ever since.  Hang in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I called Corporate today and only got voicemail. I called the dealership and they did not get the parts delivered today. I asked about the possibility of getting a loaner car and was told they didn’t have any available. It’s been in the shop 19 days with no return date. They got my money and I got nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

11 days till you can file lemon law.  I'd politely notify/remind Ford Corp of that.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I can't understand why it has taken so long for you. I had the same repair done with injector #1 (and related parts/seals) replaced and the TSB performed and mine was out of the shop in 4 days. Maybe the parts are different for a different cylinder injector? Anyhow the time is ticking on filing a lemon law on the vehicle so it would behoove Ford to move as quickly as possible to get the parts to the dealer and get the repair made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I thought lemon laws only applied for the same failure multiple times or multiple different failures 🤷🏼‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
18 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I thought lemon laws only applied for the same failure multiple times or multiple different failures 🤷🏼‍♂️

They vary by state. Some state it’s a number of days out of service. 

For instance Illinois:

Vehicle has been out of service for a total of 30 or more business days. 

 

Edited by sullynd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Same thing. I picked mine up, after waiting 14 weeks from the time I ordered it, last Friday. It had 16.7 miles on it. I live 25 miles from the dealership and yes there are 3 other Ford dealers closer. From the moment I left the lot, I felt that it was running rough. Call it engine shudder or whatever you want, but the feeling that there is a "miss" in the engine was more easily felt at lower speeds and didn't really smooth out all the way up to almost 70mph. Don't you know I just wanted to stomp on the accelerator and blow it out in hopes that it might go away. However, I had read on here about this problem before I picked it up and knew that wasn't going to help and possibly could do more harm to a new engine. Anyway, Saturday morning I drove it back and the dealership's service department isn't fully staffed on Saturday so they immediately had my salesman get me a loaner before I could even ask about one. (Just one of the few reasons I bought from them.) Although they asked me if I would drive another one they had on the lot for sale, just to see if I felt any difference. So away myself and salesman go...nada!...the same dang pulsating hesitation. Then he drove it back to the dealership and noticed what I was talking about, moreso driving it than being a passenger.

So Monday I get a call that lasted about a half hour from the service manager who had driven it w/the owner of the dealership. Of course, I was assured they had my satisfaction in mind and would get to the bottom of this. I guess it didn't hurt that the owner's son had voiced a similar complaint about the Ranger he'd driven. Anyway, the service manager (35 years experience there) said he'd spoken to "the engineers at Ford". He explained to me there are 2 TSBs out, but one addressed "cold starts etc. and Rangers built February prior" and mine was built the first week of April. The second addresses the PCM talked about on here. However, as he explained, since mine hasn't thrown the CEL (yet!) he has no codes to go back to them about. He ran every diagnostic he could and reset the PCM to factory standards per their instructions. He was going to take it for a longer test drive yesterday afternoon and then again this morning on a "cold start". If he can't come up with an answer/solution or if it doesn't throw the CEL while he has it, he wants to have me drive it to see if I notice any difference. Then my choices will be, to give it back to them and they'll tell Ford the customer isn't satisfied or I can take it and drive it until it (might) throw the CEL. As I said, the conversation lasted a while and he talked about the computer's learning curve in relation to the driver's habits etc. One thing I thought odd, he also spoke about the transmission and I told him I have driven 10 speed F-150s and this is not the truck searching for a gear and yes I know to a certain extent the computer (over time) will adjust shift points based upon driving habits. I am not an auto mechanic, but I am 70 and have owned a number of cars over the years and I believe it is in the engine and not the drivetrain. The service manager said he would not rule out that Ford had not received a bad batch of fuel injectors from a vendor, but w/o a bad code his hands were tied.

I have to go to work everyday...to pay for things like this truck, but I'll post on here what I find out as things transpire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I notice that sometimes in the morning when it is cold, I feel what feels like a very slight miss when the truck is idling.  Like when you are sitting there idling and you feel a slight bump every so often.  However, in my case it is more subtle and may not even be noticed by some.

I may wait a couple weeks until they have a better handle on this situation (and the dealers get more info) and bring mine in.  I bought mine in January, so all the updates would apply to my truck.  It isn't a worry right now, but I'd like it to be resolved at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, CaseyKasey said:

he talked about the computer's learning curve in relation to the driver's habits etc.

 

This is not true.  It only adapts to manufacturing tolerances and wear over time to keep things running per factory spec - it doesn't adjust things like the transmission shifts based on how you drive it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I honestly don't think he was trying to BS me. Like I said I am not a mechanic and we spoke about a lot of things. Probably more of a misunderstanding or poor way of saying things on my part. Anyway, thanks for your input. 

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

 

This is not true.  It only adapts to manufacturing tolerances and wear over time to keep things running per factory spec - it doesn't adjust things like the transmission shifts based on how you drive it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, akirby said:

 

This is not true.  It only adapts to manufacturing tolerances and wear over time to keep things running per factory spec - it doesn't adjust things like the transmission shifts based on how you drive it.

Thanks for the truth - why do managers say stuff like this to customers who just dropped the better part of 40k on a truck?  Placating never works long term, and only drives customers away eventually.  As noted above - these customers need to go to work day to day and it is huge inconvenience to think they have to bring their brand new truck back over and over again.

This is why people my age would rather have root canal than deal with Dealers and Service Managers, and why I have independent mechanics for my cars out of warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, CaseyKasey said:

Same thing. I picked mine up, after waiting 14 weeks from the time I ordered it, last Friday. It had 16.7 miles on it. I live 25 miles from the dealership and yes there are 3 other Ford dealers closer. From the moment I left the lot, I felt that it was running rough. Call it engine shudder or whatever you want, but the feeling that there is a "miss" in the engine was more easily felt at lower speeds and didn't really smooth out all the way up to almost 70mph. Don't you know I just wanted to stomp on the accelerator and blow it out in hopes that it might go away. However, I had read on here about this problem before I picked it up and knew that wasn't going to help and possibly could do more harm to a new engine. Anyway, Saturday morning I drove it back and the dealership's service department isn't fully staffed on Saturday so they immediately had my salesman get me a loaner before I could even ask about one. (Just one of the few reasons I bought from them.) Although they asked me if I would drive another one they had on the lot for sale, just to see if I felt any difference. So away myself and salesman go...nada!...the same dang pulsating hesitation. Then he drove it back to the dealership and noticed what I was talking about, moreso driving it than being a passenger.

So Monday I get a call that lasted about a half hour from the service manager who had driven it w/the owner of the dealership. Of course, I was assured they had my satisfaction in mind and would get to the bottom of this. I guess it didn't hurt that the owner's son had voiced a similar complaint about the Ranger he'd driven. Anyway, the service manager (35 years experience there) said he'd spoken to "the engineers at Ford". He explained to me there are 2 TSBs out, but one addressed "cold starts etc. and Rangers built February prior" and mine was built the first week of April. The second addresses the PCM talked about on here. However, as he explained, since mine hasn't thrown the CEL (yet!) he has no codes to go back to them about. He ran every diagnostic he could and reset the PCM to factory standards per their instructions. He was going to take it for a longer test drive yesterday afternoon and then again this morning on a "cold start". If he can't come up with an answer/solution or if it doesn't throw the CEL while he has it, he wants to have me drive it to see if I notice any difference. Then my choices will be, to give it back to them and they'll tell Ford the customer isn't satisfied or I can take it and drive it until it (might) throw the CEL. As I said, the conversation lasted a while and he talked about the computer's learning curve in relation to the driver's habits etc. One thing I thought odd, he also spoke about the transmission and I told him I have driven 10 speed F-150s and this is not the truck searching for a gear and yes I know to a certain extent the computer (over time) will adjust shift points based upon driving habits. I am not an auto mechanic, but I am 70 and have owned a number of cars over the years and I believe it is in the engine and not the drivetrain. The service manager said he would not rule out that Ford had not received a bad batch of fuel injectors from a vendor, but w/o a bad code his hands were tied.

I have to go to work everyday...to pay for things like this truck, but I'll post on here what I find out as things transpire.

Just because it doesn't throw a code doesn't mean they cant diagnose it.  They can hook up their computer and command each injector to turn on/off while running.  They can drive it or rev it and see all the injectors performance.  There are plenty of things they can do to check each injector/cylinder performance.  

I hate the "if we dont have a code, there is nothing we can doc excuse.  There is plenty they can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
50 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Just because it doesn't throw a code doesn't mean they cant diagnose it.  They can hook up their computer and command each injector to turn on/off while running.  They can drive it or rev it and see all the injectors performance.  There are plenty of things they can do to check each injector/cylinder performance.  

I hate the "if we dont have a code, there is nothing we can doc excuse.  There is plenty they can do.

Actually it should say if we can’t duplicate it, we can’t do anything for it. If it has a driveability issue that can be duplicated, then it should be diagnosable .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
32 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

Actually it should say if we can’t duplicate it, we can’t do anything for it. If it has a driveability issue that can be duplicated, then it should be diagnosable .

Yes! "no code" is an oversimplification by a service writer because not everyone will understand what really goes on with diagnosis. And by that I mean both customers and service writers/managers. Many transmission issues don't set codes. Lots of Ecoboost issues won't set codes as well. Most "wrench" lights won't store codes. Codes are just a clue for diagnosis. They are NOT the only path to it, nor should they be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I called Corporate again today. I asked how long should an owner of a brand new Ranger with less than 500 miles on it reasonably be expected to wait to have their truck repaired and in working order. No answer. I asked how long a truck had to be in the shop before canceling my purchase becomes an option. 30 days, I was told. I noted today, is day 20. I explained the dealership did not have any loaner cars available. They offered to reimburse me $30.00 a day for a rental providing it’s a Ford. 

Funny thing, I train people on customer service. I now have new examples of how not to treat a new customer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

In relation to the "no code" issue, I think he was saying he had nothing to go to Ford and say it was showing a bad #2 fuel injector like Ricky had after the CEL came on. Also, I would think his hands are tied in the fact that he can't just start re-tuning the engine or re-programming/circumventing the PCM factory settings to his liking.

His call yesterday told me that "the engineers are aware they have a problem and it's not just yours...the similar complaints from other dealers on 'tech talk' are being reviewed...and they are treating it as important" . He had two conversations w/them yesterday and was assured they would be back in touch w/him today.

He also told me he's still not convinced that it might not be an issue with the shifting. He said the hesitation is less pronounced in the Sport mode, whereas in the regular mode it moves straight from 1st to 3rd (unless stomped on) and that you can get all the way to 9th gear doing 35-40mph and so the engine struggles with fuel trying to deliver power to compensate. Manufacturers are doing everything they can to meet fuel mileage guidelines and this squeaking and tweaking is just asking too much of these small engines turbo or not...and let's not even get sidetracked w/a comment about the MPG cheating/lawsuit.

I'll stay in touch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, RIcky Ranger said:

I called Corporate again today. I asked how long should an owner of a brand new Ranger with less than 500 miles on it reasonably be expected to wait to have their truck repaired and in working order. No answer. I asked how long a truck had to be in the shop before canceling my purchase becomes an option. 30 days, I was told. I noted today, is day 20. I explained the dealership did not have any loaner cars available. They offered to reimburse me $30.00 a day for a rental providing it’s a Ford. 

Funny thing, I train people on customer service. I now have new examples of how not to treat a new customer. 

Time to start researching your state's Lemon Law !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Bottom line, I want my new Ranger returned to me in tip top shape. I ordered it exactly the way I wanted it. I’m hoping I don’t have to go the lemon law route. I’m pulling for both Ford Corporate and the dealership folks to do all they can to get my new Ranger right and  keep me in the Ford family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×