Amazon Key Can Now Deliver to Ford/Lincolns

Not sure how I feel about this one.  So basically Amazon delivery driver guy can unlock your car, put stuff in and you hope he locks it again and doesn't take anything?  Obviously there'd be consequences after if he/she does take something, but sounds like a risk.

Just now, rmc523 said:

Not sure how I feel about this one.  So basically Amazon delivery driver guy can unlock your car, put stuff in and you hope he locks it again and doesn't take anything?  Obviously there'd be consequences after if he/she does take something, but sounds like a risk.

It is way safer than leaving the packages sitting on your porch of late.

8 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

It is way safer than leaving the packages sitting on your porch of late.

Or if you live in an apartment or condo. I used to have the UPS guy leave packages on top of my light in my condo so it was harder to notice that you got something. I had a little old lady that used to take them in for me too when I lived there-shes like 94 now! My wife talks to her all the time. 

54 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I would be more worried about leaving a package that is visible to someone who might break the window in my car.    But if you have a trunk or a covered hatch back area which I believe all the CUV's/SUV's have (?) its a great idea.   Especially for someone who leaves their car at a train station or parking facility all day.     

13 minutes ago, Fordowner said:

I would be more worried about leaving a package that is visible to someone who might break the window in my car.    But if you have a trunk or a covered hatch back area which I believe all the CUV's/SUV's have (?) its a great idea.   Especially for someone who leaves their car at a train station or parking facility all day.     

The two row models often have a cargo area cover.

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The two row models often have a cargo area cover.

They used to but Ford also discontinued those or at least made them non standard over the last decade or so.   I don’t recall whether Escape and Explorer have them now.

I think this could be useful to a small population of Ford/Lincoln drivers. For me, I live in a condo on a busy street so Amazon delivery there is a no no. However, living in the Chicago area there hundreds of locations that have Amazon lockers to pick up what I order. There are also a few Amazon pickup locations where I can pick up my items that is staffed with an Amazon employee.

It was Fedex that was using Walgreens.   They changed the name of our street right after they built it and it had not been updated in google maps as of a few months ago.  I had the dispatcher put notes on it with the old address and my cell number to call if they couldn't find it.  Still took them a week and 3 tries to find it.

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

They used to but Ford also discontinued those or at least made them non standard over the last decade or so.   I don’t recall whether Escape and Explorer have them now.

They are optional on all Ford/Lincoln SUV's now.

31 minutes ago, akirby said:

It was Fedex that was using Walgreens.   

Yeah I had a package re-directed to Walgreens since I couldn't sign for it that day-the Walgreens is down the street from me and drive past it on my way home from work-so its really convenient to have that option. 

My neighborhood isn't bad otherwise, so I don't have to worry about theft when it comes to packages. 

28 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

I love living in the country where they just leave it by the door.  :) Ring is a nice backup just in case though.

RingPic.thumb.png.5f7e34248bd8c79caf3c814ba42ed97b.png

I have a Arlo Camera setup at my door-Works pretty good. I want to get a couple more for the backyard (just watch for wildlife in the easement) and another at the corner of the house to cover the driveway better. 

27 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I have a Arlo Camera setup at my door-Works pretty good. I want to get a couple more for the backyard (just watch for wildlife in the easement) and another at the corner of the house to cover the driveway better. 

We're wanting to get a couple more for the back as well.  More for my wife's peace of mind than anything (she's a little paranoid).  We are a bit off the beaten path, so if someone were near our house, nobody would know because you can't see our house from the road.

6 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

We're wanting to get a couple more for the back as well.  More for my wife's peace of mind than anything (she's a little paranoid).  We are a bit off the beaten path, so if someone were near our house, nobody would know because you can't see our house from the road.

I have Ring cameras around my house. I got them last year when I was going to be on the road a lot. Even with my garbage UVerse connection, they do a pretty good job (although their motion detection is frequently fooled by spiders that like to build highly IR-reflective webs in front of one of them).

It has also come in handy for watching Amazon and FedEx delivery drivers drop off a package, then come running back to pick it up a few minutes later when they figure out it's the wrong address. I'm not sure how they do that; it's not like you can even see my neighbors from my porch. One they didn't pick up had a completely different street name, as in not even close--I live on a section road with a numeric name, and the intended delivery address was alphabetic. Then again, the USPS still occasionally delivers mail for a house with the same house number, but the intended street is two miles to the west (literally--it's the second section road west).

9 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

It has also come in handy for watching Amazon and FedEx delivery drivers drop off a package, then come running back to pick it up a few minutes later when they figure out it's the wrong address. I'm not sure how they do that; it's not like you can even see my neighbors from my porch. One they didn't pick up had a completely different street name, as in not even close--I live on a section road with a numeric name, and the intended delivery address was alphabetic. Then again, the USPS still occasionally delivers mail for a house with the same house number, but the intended street is two miles to the west (literally--it's the second section road west).

I had a friend put a video on facebook of an Amazon delivery guy accidentally throw his package onto his overhang on his house-what winded up as a bad under hand toss turned into a viral video. He was able to get the package by just opening up a window on the second floor of his house.

18 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

At work, we had a bird feeder that was getting emptied every night. They set up a camera, to see if it was squirrels, other rodents, or a raccoon. It wound up being a deer. He was standing on his hind legs,  just being able to reach the feeder.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:37 PM, fordmantpw said:

Wasps and even flies landing on our Ring will set it off.  Moths look pretty freaky in the middle of the night too.

Oh, yeah, and the audio of the wasps as they fly at the camera is as outsized as they look.

It's funny; that particular camera is usually set off by wasps, my "yard deer" that visit in the early morning, the tree in the foreground moving in the wind, the trees in the background moving in the wind, or this little fat bastard of a squirrel that likes to sit on a cut-off branch on said foreground tree. Vehicles coming up the drive? They almost never set it off.

There was one thing that it, quite ironically, missed. The little fat bastard squirrel jumped on top of the camera and knocked it off its mount. I got good footage of his tail flapping around while he was on top of it, then some good footage of stuff moving on the ground, but nothing of the actual fall. I guess the camera was so distressed by it that it wiped it from its memory...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've heard it takes a simple crow bar/pry bar to pop open a trunk lid, I'm guessing the same goes for the hatch for the CUVs/SUVs.

Any more the only time I will order on the Inter-nets is when I can't get it in town.  I like the idea of doing my part to keep the shops open.
Yea, yea, one person can't make a difference.