2019 Ford Escape SEL - deactivation of Auto Unlock

Has anyone successfully deactivated the Auto Unlock feature on a late model Escape? I have a customer that wants it turned off for safety reasons. She is an older widow. Has read the owners manual page for page. I have tried unsuccessfully to use the "turn car on, press unlock 3 times, turn car off, press unlock 3 more times, turn car on, horn chirp to indicate program mode" as suggested by the FordTube video. Cannot get the horn to chirp after following the procedure. Service tech could not get it to work. Any help is much appreciated.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The dealer probably has to do it with IDS.

Not sure why she thinks it’s a safety issue.  It doesn’t unlock the other doors until she opens the driver door.  

My customer wants the other doors to remain locked when she opens the drivers door. Like when she stops to get gas to keep someone from entering her vehicle from the passenger side. She does not live in a high crime area. Just a paranoid old woman.

Not sure what IDS is, but our service department put it on the computer. There is no way to disable the auto unlock by going into the vehicle computer.

There was a service bulletin just issued for edge and mkx to enable autolock using IDS (ford’s diagnostic  computer system).   Do a search for it - might be applicable.  You also need the latest IDS software.

But I just had another thought.  Auto-unlock is not normally enabled by default.  Are you sure it’s enabled on her Escape?  Like I said you can open the front doors from inside even if they’re still locked.

I have a 2013 Escape.  When I open the drivers door, all doors do unlock automatically.  So that does appear to be the factory default behavior.  I haven't had an issue with that, so I haven't looked into it.

BTW to mpcmotorsports, IDS is Ford's factory software for managing the computer options.

16 minutes ago, 92merc said:

I have a 2013 Escape.  When I open the drivers door, all doors do unlock automatically.  So that does appear to be the factory default behavior.  I haven't had an issue with that, so I haven't looked into it.

I don't recall our 2014 Escape doing that by default but maybe it did.  At any rate if the procedure doesn't work (make sure you're doing it all within 30 seconds) have the service tech look for a service bulletin that tells them how to set it with IDS. 

16 hours ago, mpcmotorsports said:

Has anyone successfully deactivated the Auto Unlock feature on a late model Escape? I have a customer that wants it turned off for safety reasons. She is an older widow. Has read the owners manual page for page. I have tried unsuccessfully to use the "turn car on, press unlock 3 times, turn car off, press unlock 3 more times, turn car on, horn chirp to indicate program mode" as suggested by the FordTube video. Cannot get the horn to chirp after following the procedure. Service tech could not get it to work. Any help is much appreciated.

Hi mpcmotorsports.  Some information I found: Page 61 of the 2019 Escape Owners Manual states: "To enable or disable autounlock, see an authorized Dealer". I would assume that means there is a Dealer programmable procedure to disable autounlock (or why say go to the Dealer)? The Service Department needs to contact Ford and find out the procedure.

Also on page 61 is a workaround. It states "Note:The doors do not autounlock if you electronically lock your vehicle after you switch the ignition off and before you open the driver door"

So while it is not an ideal solution, it seems she can prevent the passenger doors from autounlocking if she turns off the car and presses the powerlock button before opening her drivers door.  At least it is a temporary workaround to let her feel safer, until your Service Department can contact Ford on how to reprogram the locks.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

40 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi mpcmotorsports.  Some information I found: Page 61 of the 2019 Escape Owners Manual states: "To enable or disable autounlock, see an authorized Dealer". I would assume that means there is a Dealer programmable procedure to disable autounlock (or why say go to the Dealer)? The Service Department needs to contact Ford and find out the procedure.

Also on page 61 is a workaround. It states "Note:The doors do not autounlock if you electronically lock your vehicle after you switch the ignition off and before you open the driver door"

So while it is not an ideal solution, it seems she can prevent the passenger doors from autounlocking if she turns off the car and presses the powerlock button before opening her drivers door.  At least it is a temporary workaround to let her feel safer, until your Service Department can contact Ford on how to reprogram the locks.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

The problem is the option doesn't appear in Ford's IDS system either so the tech can't turn it off or on.  This was a common issue in many recent Fords and apparently Ford issued a service bulletin about it requiring an IDS software update.   That's why his service tech couldn't find it (I assume).

17 hours ago, akirby said:

The problem is the option doesn't appear in Ford's IDS system either so the tech can't turn it off or on.  This was a common issue in many recent Fords and apparently Ford issued a service bulletin about it requiring an IDS software update.   That's why his service tech couldn't find it (I assume).

Hi Allen.  Yes, I read all the posts and understood what the problem was before I replied, including when you mentioned the IDS system and a possible service bulletin. The Owners Manual information I provided was only meant to add to the already provided information, not contradict any of it.

You and I both are assuming/guessing that the Service Tech "couldn't find" the procedure, which was why I advised the OP that his Dealers Service Department needs to contact Ford so they can "find" it.  That is also why I gave the workaround listed in the Owners Manual, so his customer can at least override the autounlock feature when she feels the need to.  It is not ideal, but since she is the worrisome type, at least maybe she will feel safer, until the Dealer does find the correct procedure for the permanent reprogramming.

However, since they "couldn't find" the correct procedure, contacting Ford will assist the Service Department in finding the answer, right? Or perhaps the Owners Manual is mistaken and it can no longer be reprogrammed by the Dealer. The Service Department will need to figure all of that out, not us.

I'm hurt Allen...sometimes I think you still believe I don't know how to read.  :headspin:

All in good fun Allen.  Good luck. ;)

Edited by bbf2530

On 4/29/2019 at 9:19 PM, mpcmotorsports said:

Update...the instructions say to "turn car on". This means do not start the car. If you watch the FordTube video, you hear the engine start when the turn the vehicle on.

10 minutes ago, mpcmotorsports said:

Update...the instructions say to "turn car on". This means do not start the car. If you watch the FordTube video, you hear the engine start when the turn the vehicle on.

Hi mpcmotorsports. So are you saying the instructions you referred to in your first post now work, and when you turn the car/ignition on (but don't start the car), you can disable auto-unlock following those instructions?

Edited by bbf2530

26 minutes ago, mpcmotorsports said:

Hi again mpcmotorsports.  After some further searching, found this:

"Auto-lock and Auto-unlock

Step 1

Enter the Escape and shut the door. Switch on the ignition. Press the door unlock button three times, then turn the ignition off.

Step 2

Press the unlock button an additional three times, then switch on the ignition. Listing for the horn to chirp indicating you've entered programming mode.

To change the auto-lock feature, press the unlock button then the lock button and listen for the horn to chirp. You'll hear a single chirp if auto-lock is disabled, or two chirps if auto-lock is enabled. To change the auto-unlock feature, press the lock button, then the unlock button. You'll hear one chirp if it is disabled or two chirps if it is enabled. Switch off the ignition to finish programming."

Are those the full instructions you are now trying? Hopefully this will work and it can help others in the same situation.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And also found this link: http://www.c-suvs.com/autounlock-226.html 

The link also gives two other programming options (three, including "See your Dealer").

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

1 hour ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi again mpcmotorsports.  After some further searching, found this:

"Auto-lock and Auto-unlock

Step 1

Enter the Escape and shut the door. Switch on the ignition. Press the door unlock button three times, then turn the ignition off.

Step 2

Press the unlock button an additional three times, then switch on the ignition. Listing for the horn to chirp indicating you've entered programming mode.

To change the auto-lock feature, press the unlock button then the lock button and listen for the horn to chirp. You'll hear a single chirp if auto-lock is disabled, or two chirps if auto-lock is enabled. To change the auto-unlock feature, press the lock button, then the unlock button. You'll hear one chirp if it is disabled or two chirps if it is enabled. Switch off the ignition to finish programming."

Are those the full instructions you are now trying? Hopefully this will work and it can help others in the same situation.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And also found this link: http://www.c-suvs.com/autounlock-226.html 

The link also gives two other programming options (three, including "See your Dealer").

Keep us updated and good luck.

Yes, these are the instructions that I am following and yes, it works as long as you do not start the vehicle. Just push the start button without putting your foot on the brake.

"See your Dealer" does not work. Ford Tech Hotline said that this should not be printed in the owner's manual.