The case of the missing odometer

On my ’16 MKX at times when I get in the vehicle and start it, the display for the odometer is blank, out, nothing.  The compass on the left side of the display is just fine.  Just no readout for the odometer.  It does reappear on the next startup. Strange.   Anyone else notice this?

I don't know if this has anything to do with your issue; but our 2011 Edge transmission and instrument panel began to have problems ; which were cleared up with the purchase of a new battery.   The original factory battery was around seven years old and we  were concerned about its age; although it seemed to start the car OK.   During this time, the transmission began to act like a "lock-up" converter was engaging/disengaging in a harsh manner.   We envisioned an expensive transmission repair bill.   Also, the instrument panel began to do weird things; but seemed to correct itself after a bit of driving.   Anyway, the battery finally began to fail on startup; and we had it replaced.  Immediately, the problems with the transmission and instruments were eliminated, and haven't resurfaced.

7 years on the OEM battery?  That might be a record.  I’m lucky to get more than 3.   I say if you’re having problems and the battery is more than 3 yrs old just replace it.   It solves the problem at least 80% of the time and even if it doesn’t you’re covered for at least the next 3 years.

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

7 years on the OEM battery?  That might be a record.  I’m lucky to get more than 3.   I say if you’re having problems and the battery is more than 3 yrs old just replace it.   It solves the problem at least 80% of the time and even if it doesn’t you’re covered for at least the next 3 years.

I just replaced the battery on my 2013 Fusion, and thought that was too short of a life!

Heck, I think my old Fords all had batteries that lasted at least 7 years.

33 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

I just replaced the battery on my 2013 Fusion, and thought that was too short of a life!

Heck, I think my old Fords all had batteries that lasted at least 7 years.

Climate has an impact as does driving habits (long vs short trips).   Newer vehicles are much harder on batteries than older ones due to increased electrical loads.

I remember on my Lincoln LS battery failed on the Dec 23.
Turing the ignition key, (still miss them) and the starter relay started to chatter.
Tried again and then the car alarm went off.
Was able to turn off the alarm.

The next day had the local gas station (which has auto service shop), take me back over for a jump.
When we got it to the station, the auto tech was able to pull the sticker off the battery,  It was 8 years old. ?
He asked if I wanted him to test the charging system.
I replied, "Naw, just replace the battery."

Still miss that car.

My experience with batteries has been pretty much the same . . . 3 to 5 years and that's about it. As I lived in SoFla, that seemed to be just about right (the heat takes a toll).

I had the previous battery replaced by my local Ford dealer when a battery first showed failure symptoms and I was right across the street from the dealer. I normally have done it myself.

A few months ago, my battery (the dealer installed one) failed to start the truck one morning and I called my son and had him pick one up from Costco (I knew he was going there).

When I pulled out the dealer installed Motorcraft battery and installed the Interstate battery from Costco, I looked at the date guide on the Motorcraft - and couldn't believe it, so I checked my receipt that was in the glove department. Installed in 2007. The Motorcraft had lasted more than 11 years.

I was shocked.

And when you consider that I often leave the dash cam "plugged in" when I park the truck in risky places {which draws juice due to the motion detector activation}, that means that I had used it more than any battery that I have ever had. Interesting to say the least.