Tesla drops a bomb

92merc

"They" keep saying Tesla is more of a tech company than an automotive company.  But if a company such as Amazon or Netflix had huge major drop in revenue to the negative, I can say with a high degree of certainty that those stocks would have dropped.

The Tesla stock bubble will pop one of these days.  Probably not until after they declare bankruptcy.  There are those that will believe even after bankruptcy that Tesla will rise again on the third day and take over the car world still...

The question is, what happens next quarter when they lose a billion as all  of the zealots have their cars already. It's funny the model 3 was described to investors as the volume car for the average person (priced starting at 35K). Yet, not one of those models has been made or sold. Due to the average transaction price, they are claiming that the Model 3 was the best selling luxury car last year. What defines a luxury car?  I certainly don't see it as one.

5 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

It’s like Henry Ford said any color as long as its black. Well for standard price it has to be black on black. Any other color is $1k-2k more.

But the point was initially they were only selling the most expensive versions that were over $50K.  At least they’re selling the cheaper ones now even if they’re $5K higher than they advertised.

10 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Tax incentive...you mean the tax incentive that is being cut in half this year and should be gone by next. That should only help sales, right? 

Yep.  Of course the Tesla cheerleaders will say that's not why people are buying BEVs but I think they're wrong and I think at least half of BEV sales are directly driven by those rebates and when they're gone sales will drop significantly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, akirby said:

Yep.  Of course the Tesla cheerleaders will say that's not why people are buying BEVs but I think they're wrong and I think at least half of BEV sales are directly driven by those rebates and when they're gone sales will drop significantly.

I'm completely with you.

I think people ARE interested in electrics in general, and certainly Tesla specifically.  However, I completely believe it's that tax credit that has convinced people to actually pull the trigger for an EV (Tesla).  Once that catalyst is removed, people are less inclined to purchase one because of the price and perceived limitations on top of that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, probowler said:

Who is the market for electric cars anyways? I thought millennials were all switching to Uber and taking the bus.

As poor of a work ethic the millennials have, they sure as hell won’t be able to afford one. Most don’t want to work. The ones I see think $100k a year is normal for everyone and only do easy work. Plus can only work 3 days a week because 40 hours is just too much. Once the parents die off who’s going to support them and who will be left with an skills to fix anything other than a smartphone? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, probowler said:

Who is the market for electric cars anyways? I thought millennials were all switching to Uber and taking the bus.

So far, it has been mainly non-millennial, wealthy, status-seeking urban buyers, though this is starting to change particularly for families with more than one vehicle. This study describes the top three BEV-buying segments as: "Findings show American Royalty, who are described as wealthy, influential couples and families living in prestigious suburbs, led the way with a 17.8 percent share. Following them were Silver Sophisticates at 11.9 percent. Those in this category are described as mature couples and singles living an upscale lifestyle in suburban homes. Rounding out the top three were Cosmopolitan Achiever, described as affluent middle-aged and established couples and families who enjoy a dynamic lifestyle in metro areas. Their share was 10.1 percent."

See: https://www.experian.com/blogs/insights/2018/10/the-story-behind-whos-buying-electric-vehicles/

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 2:30 AM, fordtech1 said:

As poor of a work ethic the millennials have, they sure as hell won’t be able to afford one. Most don’t want to work. The ones I see think $100k a year is normal for everyone and only do easy work. Plus can only work 3 days a week because 40 hours is just too much. Once the parents die off who’s going to support them and who will be left with an skills to fix anything other than a smartphone? 

Can we quit with the ridiculous stereotyping of “millennials”? It’s quite old at this point. 

I’m a millennial. I work 60-70 hours a week running an engineering test firm. The “lazy millennials” who work for me bust their butts every week, throughly outperforming the “boomers” in our company. It’s not a Cushy office gig either.  

By far the biggest whiners and laziest are the 50+ crowd. Can’t get rid of them fast enough. They bitch and think they all deserve 100k+, company cars, etc while working 30 hours. And refusing to learn anything new in a rapidly changing industry. How’s that for an about face? 

Edited by blazerdude20
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, blazerdude20 said:

Can we quit with the ridiculous stereotyping of “millennials”? It’s quite old at this point. 

I’m a millennial. I work 60-70 hours a week running an engineering test firm. The “lazy millennials” who work for me bust their butts every week, throughly outperforming the “boomers” in our company. It’s not a Cushy office gig either.  

By far the biggest whiners and laziest are the 50+ crowd. Can’t get rid of them fast enough. They bitch and think they all deserve 100k+, company cars, etc while working 30 hours. And refusing to learn anything new in a rapidly changing industry. How’s that for an about face? 

Consider yourself lucky. That is no where near true around me. Everyone small business owner I know says the same thing. Stereotypes get to be stereotypes for a reason. Just like lawyers, mechanics, politicians etc. They got these reputations some how! 

• Like 1