2020 Explorer guilt after ordering Aviator and start/stop disable

I'm seeing a lot of folks compare the new 2020 Explorer to the Aviator as far as space and power output on the Explorer ST (415 lb-ft of torque) having a bit more torque than the Aviator's 400 currently listed. I don't want to have buyer's remorse as the Aviator is still a premium/luxury vehicle over the Explorer in many ways, especially the top-trimmed Black Label. How do some of you who have ordered feel about the purchase when compared to what the 2020 Explorer is offering on teh same platform and same engine (especially the ST version)? 

Also, I caught something interesting in the promo videos of the Aviator, the option to disable Star/Stop in the menu so when you restart the vehicle the Start/Stop feature stays disabled. Anyone else catch that? Sorry, it's the little things that get me excited. I also review cars as part of my career... first time I ordered a vehicle without driving it first. More excitement! HAHA. 

You can disconnect the battery monitor sensor to disable start/stop. Or, hold your foot *lightly* on the brake pedal, and it won't activate. However, I fail to see why people are obsessed with disabling it. The transition is seamless and instant, the cabin is quieter at stops and it saves fuel. I haven't seen a higher starter failure rate either. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, YT90SC said:

You can disconnect the battery monitor sensor to disable start/stop. Or, hold your foot *lightly* on the brake pedal, and it won't activate. However, I fail to see why people are obsessed with disabling it. The transition is seamless and instant, the cabin is quieter at stops and it saves fuel. I haven't seen a higher starter failure rate either. 

All true...the better half has auto start/stop in her 2018 Escape....wishing I had it on my 2017 MKC...

27 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

Ditto.  I get mad when it doesn't stop on my F150.   People go in convinced they'll hate it and don't even give it a chance.

• Like 3

Ordered the Aviator(BL), and though it’s just my opinion it looks significantly better than the Explorer; I don’t care if the ST happens to have 15 more lb-ft or whatever it will be when official numbers come out. I’m not drag racing this thing and have no doubt it’ll move well enough. 

1 hour ago, Bellanca said:

Ordered the Aviator(BL), and though it’s just my opinion it looks significantly better than the Explorer; I don’t care if the ST happens to have 15 more lb-ft or whatever it will be when official numbers come out. I’m not drag racing this thing and have no doubt it’ll move well enough. 

52164078.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bellanca said:

Easy solution - get the GT and then you have 600 lb-ft of torque 

7 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

Didn’t care for the wheels on the GT and if the PHEV Explorer is anything to go by the range isn’t that impressive to me. 

30 mile range is expected but it's not about the range it's about the performance - 600 lb/ft of torque!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, akirby said:

30 mile range is expected but it's not about the range it's about the performance - 600 lb/ft of torque!

Well actually I would say the range is more important than the performance.  I doubt people are paying an extra $17K + just for the extra power.  And I am also worried by the range/battery size given the released specs on the European Explorer PHEV.

1 hour ago, msm859 said:

Well actually I would say the range is more important than the performance.  I doubt people are paying an extra $17K + just for the extra power.  And I am also worried by the range/battery size given the released specs on the European Explorer PHEV.

But Ford specifically designed the Aviator GT for max performance - thus the use of the 3.0LT drivetrain in series with the electric motor.  In terms of priorities performance is higher than range.

Besides, we’re not talking about a BEV here.   You can do a 40 mile commute one way regardless of the range.  You’ll just have to use the ICE for a few miles each way.   It’s not a can/can’t do it scenario.   You’re literally talking about using an extra couple of gallons of gas per week depending on the final range and your commute.   I just don’t see it as a dealbreaker.

• Like 1

My sister has had issues with auto start/stop on her Fusion. It has stalled on her a handful of times at intersections and her dealership says they aren't seeing codes to diagnose the issue. My sister now turns it off and wants to get rid of the car because of this issue. I think having a physical switch on the dash makes a better idea than burying in the menus.

I have driven an Escape with it and was fine. Didn't bother me. 

On 4/22/2019 at 8:54 PM, AutomotiveAddicts said:

Also, I caught something interesting in the promo videos of the Aviator, the option to disable Star/Stop in the menu so when you restart the vehicle the Start/Stop feature stays disabled.

There is no mention of this in the owner's manual.   There is an auto stop/start menu option that shows you status but it doesn't allow you to turn it on/off permanently.  It seems to work just like the current versions.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

That range is also using a more conservative cycle so I expect the EPA rating to be even less. Yeah the torque sounds nice but it’s also adds a good bit of weight. I’m going to assume that’s going to hamper agility. Like I said, didn’t order it with the internet of thrashing  it; if I wanted to I’d go get a F-Pace SVR instead. 

Edited by Bellanca

4 hours ago, akirby said:

But Ford specifically designed the Aviator GT for max performance - thus the use of the 3.0LT drivetrain in series with the electric motor.  In terms of priorities performance is higher than range.

Besides, we’re not talking about a BEV here.   You can do a 40 mile commute one way regardless of the range.  You’ll just have to use the ICE for a few miles each way.   It’s not a can/can’t do it scenario.   You’re literally talking about using an extra couple of gallons of gas per week depending on the final range and your commute.   I just don’t see it as a dealbreaker.

Except we don't even know what ICE they are using in the Aviator.  It is the 3.0 but what hp version?  I'd say they need at least a 150 hp electric motor and a 17kWh battery to be serious.  The Euro Explorer PHEV has a 350 hp 3.0 and 100hp electric(although this could be wrong because hp in PHEV is not simply the sum of both)  with a 13.1 kWh battery with a total rating of 450 hp and 620 lb.ft. of torque. 

Not worried about a 40 mile commute.  I want this to be able to run around town on electric only with reasonable performance.  Also, not looking for max performance in an SUV - have my car for that.  Currently our 2017 Explorer Platinum with 365 hp is fine.  Add a 150 hp electric motor with a 17kWh battery to get a real 30 mile range (and the full $7500 tax credit) and that would be the sweet spot.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

You shouldn’t assume that Aviator will have the same battery pack as the Euro Explorer.  Not saying it definitely won’t but it’s certainly possible.

True; we should know soon enough; still no build date for mine yet, though. 

Though, you would note that an option like "Traction Control" would default back to ON after a vehicle restart. May be the same for start-stop... but why would they have start-stop in the Driver Assist menu when it will also be on the dashboard in a  physical button? HMMMM  Will be interesting. You're right, wait and see. I will be sure to check it out when the dealer gets in the demo unit for us to "look at" as they say. Still going to see if we can at least drive it a little.