Potential AWD Issue

jcartwright99

I recently had a PTU leak and had it fixed under warranty. Everything has seemed fine but I noticed something odd on Friday. As I was toggling through the dash menu, I noticed my intelligent AWD indicator powering all 4 wheels virtually almost 100% of the time in my city driving. What's really odd is that it was dry and all very low throttle applications. I don't remember this happening before and would not match up on how I believe it should work. Shouldn't there be wheel spin before shifting power to the rear? How accurate is that indicator on the dash? I'll try and post a video to show exactly what I am seeing.

17 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

My 2015 escape 2.0 AWD does the same thing. My moms 2015 mkx is similar also. 

Them changing the PTU seal would not affect the control strategy. I’m not sure how accurate that Indicator is. However, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. 

Thanks for the feedback. I know I’m probably sounding a bit paranoid that I have a problem I just never noticed it before. I just want to make sure any issue I have big or small is taken care of before the warranty runs out so I don’t get stuck with a bill later on. I intend to keep this for at least 3 more years so just being vigilant about keeping it running perfectly.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:33 AM, jcartwright99 said:

I recently had a PTU leak and had it fixed under warranty. Everything has seemed fine but I noticed something odd on Friday. As I was toggling through the dash menu, I noticed my intelligent AWD indicator powering all 4 wheels virtually almost 100% of the time in my city driving. What's really odd is that it was dry and all very low throttle applications. I don't remember this happening before and would not match up on how I believe it should work. Shouldn't there be wheel spin before shifting power to the rear? How accurate is that indicator on the dash? I'll try and post a video to show exactly what I am seeing.

8 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I know I’m probably sounding a bit paranoid that I have a problem I just never noticed it before. I just want to make sure any issue I have big or small is taken care of before the warranty runs out so I don’t get stuck with a bill later on. I intend to keep this for at least 3 more years so just being vigilant about keeping it running perfectly.

Hi jcartwright00. Your AWD Fusion is behaving normally.  It will route power to the rear wheels during acceleration, without the need for the front wheels to be slipping.  If you notice, the power shifts to the front wheels once you reach speed and are no longer accelerating.  That is all normal.  It is also explained in your Owners Manual.

I have a 2018 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD. It performs the same way, with the added benefit of routing more power to the outside rear wheel when turning (among other torque vectoring benefits), thanks to the Torque Vectoring System. But the bottom line is your Fusion is behaving perfectly normal and its AWD system is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530