Ford Offering Up To $2,000 Off Ranger Pickups In April

On 4/20/2019 at 6:13 PM, Anthony said:

This month’s Car and Drivel absolutely skewered the Ranger placing it in last place in the midsize truck category.  I won’t go into details, but they said it felt a generation behind the others. The article is not online yet as far as I can tell.  

Car and Driver posted the comparison test article to their website today. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a27273790/2019-ford-ranger-vs-jeep-gladiator-chevrolet-colorado-honda-ridgeline/

Edited by rperez817

C&D have always been anti Ford and if you ask me.... anti-American as well.  Waaayyy back in the 70's or 80's, I was reading a road test of some Ford vehicle in C&D.  The article kept referring to a 4.9 liter engine.  I couldn't understand what engine they were talking about.  I'm well versed in Ford numbers and it really baffled me.  Then, a few months later, I come across a statement by a C&D staff writer and he is refusing to call Ford's 5.0 engine a 5.0.  It's not really 5.0 liters, it's really 4.94 liters and hence, it SHOULD be named a 4.9.   He refused to acknowledge Ford's CHOSEN name of 5.0 liters.  Holy crap.  You've got to be kidding!  So, a 302 is really 301.584 cubic inches which translates to 4.942 liters and in his world that means a 4.9?   So I got to thinking, if that 4.942 engine goes 100,000 miles and the cylinder bores increase .005 from normal  wear, that engine THEN becomes a 5.0 in his opinion?????  With the increased wear, the actual size of the engine would be 4.954 liters.  So, would he deem to ALLOW THAT engine to be a 5.0 liter???  This stuff just boggles the mind.  How could he/they be so self-centered and  disrespectful?  Unbelievable.  That magazine should disappear.    

Here in the Mtn West, where everyone drives a Truck (Taco is insanely popular), foreign brand SUV, Jeep, or any model of Subaru - I have only seen 4 Rangers in the wild, 2 were rentals (black and silver - of course).  Really nice FX-4 Rental in the parking garage today - no towing package!  Guess that's not the one I am going to buy in a year or two as a low mileage used truck!

Is there some rational I don't understand to getting rentals out to the fleets before filling customer orders?

Edited by Kev-Mo

On 4/25/2019 at 4:55 AM, Anthony said:

The powertrain alone is a slam dunk against anything else out there...and it is standard across the line.

That's it in a nutshell!  And why the Ranger is a competitive truck, yes, that is TRUCK.

The C&D article actually implied this buried deep in the Ranger's last place summary - noting that when towing and loaded for work the truck really shined.  However, a Honda Ridgeline errr- Oddessy/Pilot with a truck body is far more desirable to the readers of C&D.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

However, a Honda Ridgeline errr- Oddessy/Pilot with a truck body is far more desirable to the readers of C&D.

Honda Ridgeline should be desirable to a lot more folks who own pickup trucks for light duty personal or small business use. Nothing else in the market combines pickup truck utility with the carlike handling and ride quality Ridgeline delivers. It really is a fantastic product.

If I were a rational consumer, I'd be driving a Honda Ridgeline now. But I'm not. I keep buying Ford pickup trucks due to loyalty I guess (all my trucks have been Ford Rangers or Couriers). So I'll await delivery of a '19 Ford Ranger. Should arrive at my dealership in the next 2 months hopefully. :)

Edited by rperez817

43 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Honda Ridgeline should be desirable to a lot more folks who own pickup trucks for light duty personal or small business use. Nothing else in the market combines pickup truck utility with the carlike handling and ride quality Ridgeline delivers. It really is a fantastic product.

If I were a rational consumer, I'd be driving a Honda Ridgeline now. But I'm not. I keep buying Ford pickup trucks due to loyalty I guess (all my trucks have been Ford Rangers or Couriers). So I'll await delivery of a '19 Ford Ranger. Should arrive at my dealership in the next 2 months hopefully. :)

It may be a fantastic product but it is one ugly vehicle.  The side profile/lines look terrible with the unibed/cab.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

combines Minivan utility with the carlike handling and ride quality Ridgeline delivers. 

Fixed that for you.  Honda Ridgeline is not and never will be a 'truck'.

Pickup truck utility means towing tons of lbs plus payload over the continental divide, sometimes on a heavily rutted, unpaved USFS road. Or pulling your neighbors Honda Pilot or Toyota Sienna out of snowbank with a strap in a blizzard.

Why would Ford go through the trouble of engineering a fully boxed frame, tow and payload capacity, and all those off road features, if being a 'fantastic truck' simply means putting a cab and a box on a minivan platform?

24 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Pickup truck utility means towing tons of lbs plus payload over the continental divide, sometimes on a heavily rutted, unpaved USFS road. Or pulling your neighbors Honda Pilot or Toyota Sienna out of snowbank with a strap in a blizzard.

Why would Ford go through the trouble of engineering a fully boxed frame, tow and payload capacity, and all those off road features, if being a 'fantastic truck' simply means putting a cab and a box on a minivan platform?

This notion that Honda Ridgeline is not a "real truck" is nonsense. Nothing more than unwarranted hate of a fine product by people who probably have never owned or even test driven one.

Ridgeline may be unconventional compared to all other midsize pickup trucks with its unibody structure. But other than hard core off-roading (which only a small minority of pickup truck owners engage in anyway), it can do all of the "truck" things you mentioned. Towing capacity of 5,000 lbs, payload of half ton. 280 hp. Durable composite bed. Plenty competitive with other midsize trucks. 

On top of that, a higher percentage of Honda Ridgelines reached 200k miles on their odometers than any other pickup truck model. So much for Ridgeline not being a "real" truck. https://www.iseecars.com/longest-lasting-cars-2019-study

Edited by rperez817

16 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

What is the definition of a "Truck" that is going to be different for a lot of people. If that is your definition of what a "truck" is no 1/2 ton consumer truck is a real truck, as it would be only slightly better than a Ridgeline in the scenario you just described that. 

Is a Jeep a Truck, Transit, Explorer? 

26 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

It's a minivan with an open bed.  Which is fine for what a lot of people use it for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, akirby said:

It's a minivan with an open bed.  Which is fine for what a lot of people use it for.

Exactly! For the light duty that 90% of truck user do it's fine. It's the other 10% where real trucks, truly show their worth. I guarantee you, that minivan platform can't take the sustained beating the other 3 in the test could. As in off road duty with full payload over rough terrain. It would find it funny if someone lifted a Ridgeline and made it a bro truck.

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

This notion that Honda Ridgeline is not a "real truck" is nonsense. Nothing more than unwarranted hate of a fine product by people who probably have never owned or even test driven one.

Ridgeline may be unconventional compared to all other midsize pickup trucks with its unibody structure. But other than hard core off-roading (which only a small minority of pickup truck owners engage in anyway), it can do all of the "truck" things you mentioned. Towing capacity of 5,000 lbs, payload of half ton. 280 hp. Durable composite bed. Plenty competitive with other midsize trucks. 

On top of that, a higher percentage of Honda Ridgelines reached 200k miles on their odometers than any other pickup truck model. So much for Ridgeline not being a "real" truck. https://www.iseecars.com/longest-lasting-cars-2019-study

Although the Ridgeline has been designed to appeal to the vast majority of midsized truck buyers who rarely leave the pavement and probably has the best highway manners it is also the poorest seller in this class. Even the Nissan Frontier that has been pretty much unchanged for about a dozen years still easily outsells it. Why? The biggest reason has nothing to do towing capacity, payload or off road ability. It's all about image. The Colorado/Canyon, Tacoma, Ranger and Frontier project a tough and butch "I drive a truck" image. The Ridgeline? Well for all of it's virtues it's got a wimpy look and image. A huge percentage of these buyers want to look cool in their tough little trucks not look like a soccer mom driving a minivan with a bed. You might think it's crazy that people would place image over selecting the right vehicle for them, but it happens more often then not especially with trucks or sports cars.

9 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

Although the Ridgeline has been designed to appeal to the vast majority of midsized truck buyers who rarely leave the pavement and probably has the best highway manners it is also the poorest seller in this class. Even the Nissan Frontier that has been pretty much unchanged for about a dozen years still easily outsells it. Why? The biggest reason has nothing to do towing capacity, payload or off road ability. It's all about image. The Colorado/Canyon, Tacoma, Ranger and Frontier project a tough and butch "I drive a truck" image. The Ridgeline? Well for all of it's virtues it's got a wimpy look and image. A huge percentage of these buyers want to look cool in their tough little trucks not look like a soccer mom driving a minivan with a bed. You might think it's crazy that people would place image over selecting the right vehicle for them, but it happens more often then not especially with trucks or sports cars.

Don’t confuse “image” with simple styling preferences.   I could not care less what other people think about what I drive, but I do have strong preferences on styling and what looks good to me.    Often that means a more expensive vehicle but not always.

Same goes for SUVs.  I think most buyers like the looks, the high driving position and cargo and passenger utility.  Not that they’re trying to impress the neighbors.

There are folks who think that way I just think they are a minority.