Ford Offering Up To $2,000 Off Ranger Pickups In April

https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/ford-offering-up-to-2-000-off-ranger-pickups-in-april

Up To $2,000 Off

Ford is offering a $500 rebate now on all versions of the 2019 Ranger. You can also take a $1,500 conquest bonus when coming from a competitive brand.

To get the bonus, you'll have to show proof that you or something in your household owns or leases a 1995 or newer non-Ford vehicle. Altogether, that's $2,000 in potential savings, the most we've seen to date.

Prior to this month, there were no such offers. You also have the option of taking 1.9% financing for 60 months, but you'll have to give up the $500 rebate.

Ford.png.e1e6b2a05dc2daaf6d4fcd71f5784e8a.png1792294250_Ford2.png.b3366af85f96c8b85fc7ccb4aff216b2.png1433625429_Ford3.png.e736af003cca2d43be09d2d2d721311e.png

• Like 2

This would not have helped me as I traded in a Ford, but everyone gets the $500 or is eligible for the special financing.

PS: I originally leased my Ranger but went to the dealer and bought it out yesterday.  The lease terms were not very good and I was already averaging blowing past my allotted mileage.  I got a fantastic rate and also got a 7 year PremiumCare for a pittance.  I'm now paying less in interest over the life of my loan than I was going to pay in lease fees ("rental charge").

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

Still can’t touch the fire sale on the GM twins though. My father in law bought a new truck last week. Trying to decide between a new ranger and a canyon, he went with the Canyon Diesel due to pricing. With factory rebates and dealer discount it was over $10k off MSRP. Got a fully loaded truck for under $35k out the door. 

A lot of folks will take that deal. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blazerdude20 said:

Still can’t touch the fire sale on the GM twins though. My father in law bought a new truck last week. Trying to decide between a new ranger and a canyon, he went with the Canyon Diesel due to pricing. With factory rebates and dealer discount it was over $10k off MSRP. Got a fully loaded truck for under $35k out the door. 

A lot of folks will take that deal. 

Congrats to your father in law on his new Canyon diesel pickup truck, that's a good deal he got!

Last year when I test drove midsize pickup trucks, Honda Ridgeline and Chevrolet Colorado V6 were my favorites. I also test drove the diesel powered Colorado but didn't find it much better than the gasoline V6. And the diesel cost a lot more.

Ultimately I pre-ordered a new '19 Ranger XLT Supercab without test driving it. All of my previous trucks were Ford Rangers and Couriers. Guess I just felt most comfortable getting another Ranger rather than a Ridgeline or Colorado. My choice may not be a rational one, but I don't care and haven't changed my mind. ? Looking forward to taking delivery of the new Ranger this summer.

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

I thought Ford said they were going to do more to keep current customers (meaning loyalty rebates) and less on conquests?

You thought wrong.  New (old) truck, late to the market, some not so positive reviews (call it what you want)...you better believe Ford is looking for conquest sales.  

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

I thought Ford said they were going to do more to keep current customers (meaning loyalty rebates) and less on conquests?

Good point. I remember Jim Farley mentioned Ford would focus more on retention of current Ford owners, rather than conquest sales at the Ford dealer meeting last October. https://www.autonews.com/article/20181019/RETAIL03/181019590/ford-summons-its-swagger-shifts-marketing-focus-to-keeping-loyalists

I think Ford is trying to juggle both now. Maybe Ford executives decided they needed to take some action to address Ford's continuously declining market share in the U.S. Conquest sales incentives are one way. Also, Ford's owner loyalty at the manufacturer level is still high, but stagnated in the past few years. GM grabbed the IHS Markit "Overall Loyalty to Manufacturer" award away from Ford in 2015 and has maintained it ever since.

46 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

You thought wrong.  New (old) truck, late to the market, some not so positive reviews (call it what you want)...you better believe Ford is looking for conquest sales.  

No I didn’t.  And I didn’t say they didn’t want conquests.  They should have both a conquest and loyalty rebate (which is, in effect, just a rebate but it sounds more appealing as a conquest or loyalty rebate).

Among the biggest changes Ford communicated for the first time was a pivot from focusing on conquesting customers from other brands to retaining loyal buyers.

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

No I didn’t.  And I didn’t say they didn’t want conquests.  They should have both a conquest and loyalty rebate (which is, in effect, just a rebate but it sounds more appealing as a conquest or loyalty rebate).

Thanks for pointing out the message from Farley.  That was 6+ months ago.  Things change.  The Ranger needs conquest sales, no doubt about it.   But yes I agree, the reality is, Ford should offer both loyalty and conquest rebates.  

5 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Thanks for pointing out the message from Farley.  That was 6+ months ago.  Things change.  The Ranger needs conquest sales, no doubt about it.   But yes I agree, the reality is, Ford should offer both loyalty and conquest rebates.  

They usually do, I'm guessing they're trying to make sure they build inventory before they go full speed ahead with any incentives/rebates. This is probably just the beginning. 

This month’s Car and Drivel absolutely skewered the Ranger placing it in last place in the midsize truck category.  I won’t go into details, but they said it felt a generation behind the others. The article is not online yet as far as I can tell.  

15 minutes ago, Anthony said:

This month’s Car and Drivel absolutely skewered the Ranger placing it in last place in the midsize truck category.  I won’t go into details, but they said it felt a generation behind the others. The article is not online yet as far as I can tell.  

Lol that's hilarious seeing as nearly every other publication worldwide thinks very highly of it 

• Like 1

I read the C&D article.   The Ranger has negative marks for fit and finish (something about the headliner), on road ride (this has been called out by multiple sources), and braking (pedal feel and 70-0 stopping distance).  They also rated it last among the trucks tested, the Gladiator was rated one place ahead.  

49 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

I read the C&D article.   The Ranger has negative marks for fit and finish (something about the headliner), on road ride (this has been called out by multiple sources), and braking (pedal feel and 70-0 stopping distance).  They also rated it last among the trucks tested, the Gladiator was rated one place ahead.  

Never buy first production year vehicles.

20 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

Never buy first production year vehicles.

That's the logical thing to do. I know that 2019 is the first model year for T6 Ranger in the U.S., but the truck goes back almost a decade in other markets like Australia and Asia. That may help. Also the engine and transmission have at least a couple years of history in the Mustang.

I fully expect that 2019 Ranger in the U.S. will have its share of first year bugs. I'm willing to take the risk, after all I've owned Fords, Lincolns, and Jaguars with crummy reliability records as used vehicles.

5 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That's the logical thing to do. I know that 2019 is the first model year for T6 Ranger in the U.S., but the truck goes back almost a decade in other markets like Australia and Asia. That may help. Also the engine and transmission have at least a couple years of history in the Mustang.

I fully expect that 2019 Ranger in the U.S. will have its share of first year bugs. I'm willing to take the risk, after all I've owned Fords, Lincolns, and Jaguars with crummy reliability records as used vehicles.

You could have started and ended with Jaguar honestly

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You could have started and ended with Jaguar honestly

?

The Jaguars I owned ran the gamut. The '02 X-Type was a disaster, with major issues with the drivetrain. On the other hand, the '96 XJ6 X300 was almost trouble free for the few years I had it.

Worst of all among the cars I've owned was a '94 Lincoln Continental. Had problems with just about everything on it- engine, transmission, suspension, accessories, body, electronics.

All of the Rangers and Couriers I had over the years were decently reliable.

Another possible reason why Ford is doing conquest incentives on 2019 Ranger. Cox Automotive found that midsize pickup segment has the lowest owner loyalty in the whole light vehicle market. 2019 Ranger may be far from best in class, but it should be good enough that people who own older midsize pickups (from any brand) might consider buying one.

With Ranger sales growing, Ford has the potential take the honor of "#1 best selling pickup truck company in the U.S." away from GM this year. That would be a big deal for Ford marketers. And another reason why Ford is doing the conquest incentives for Ranger.

loyalty.png

Edited by rperez817
  • Thanks 1

I’m sure they think Ranger/Ford loyalists will buy it with or without a rebate so they’re trying to get a few more conquests.

As for the reviews, they’re probably accurate but overstated.  I don’t think there is that much of a difference if you’re driving either one on a daily basis.

As for first year models, I’ve bought several including a 2006 and 2013 Fusion and a 2000 Lincoln LS.  I’ve had minor issues on all but the Fusion - it was rock solid.  But it was worth being able to drive it for an extra year instead of waiting.

I just got a new Ranger and I love it. Of course I wear blue glasses and bleed blue blood and simply refuse to buy anything without a blue oval so I might be biased. ?I blame it on my father. ? Funny thing is my brother and sister-in-law got a new Edge last winter and I just got my new Ranger and it’s driving him crazy. He’s 82 and wants to trade his 2007 Fusion on a new Fusion now. So I suppose I’ll have to take him car shopping soon.

Anyhow with that said, I’d say if you were a completely unbiased midsized truck shopper the Colorado/Canyon are hard to beat in this segment right now. You can criticize GM for a lot of things, but they put 100% effort into those trucks. I can’t say the same about the 2019 Silverado. They dropped the ball on that one. The Tacoma benefits from a lot of loyalty and they never left the market, but honestly the Colorado/Canyon are better then the Tacoma.

With all that said, I love my new Ranger and I find fit and finish to be top notch for what it is. I love the style. It’s very cute in a “boyish” way. The powertrain is excellent and I think it rides very nicely other then being a tad bouncy in certain road conditions. I blame the FX4 shocks for a little of that. It also has a little more nosedive then I prefer on hard braking, but other than that it rides very nice. It’s quiet on the highway and handles very well.

Ford might not be able to do much to compete with the Tacoma. A lot of that has to do with them foolishly exiting this segment for almost a decade, but with aggressive marketing, some incentives, and continual product improvement they can definitely sell a lot of Rangers. Who knows GM might “2019 Silverado” the next Colorado and Ford can take them out for second place.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1