'20 Lincoln Corsair Officially Debuts

17 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

So says the guy who just 2 months ago was insistent Lincoln wasn't getting its own BEV ?

Yup, sounds about right.  Wasn't that the issue he left here over - his insistence they weren't getting one, and we were saying they would?

16 hours ago, Deanh said:

gorgeous...just wish they would tone down the swathes of chrome , in the interior especially....

I keep seeing this comment, and I don't really see the excessive chrome outlets comment about....or maybe I just don't mind it so I don't notice it...

13 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

1. A BEV, developed and released parallel with the Ford Mach E (or whatever they are calling it these days). This might be out next year, so a fall 2019/very early 2020 reveal is likely.

2. There was talk as well about a subcompact crossover slotting in below the Corsair, though this might be China only. Some kind of 2020 announcement likely if it comes to North America.

3. Lincoln needs to decide what to do with its sedans. I expect they will come up with one or two products to fill their space, but no one really knows what that will be -- or when.

4. And then, of course, in probably 2021 an announcement on the Nautilus redesign. Might be a 2022 model year released late 2021.

--------------

That's my guess.

Somehow, we're already close to a Navigator refresh, presumably for 2021.

"That's because it is a rebrand Escape"

So what? The "classic" RWD Lincoln Continentals and Town Cars of the 60's through 2000's [that fan boys say are 'true Lincolns'] were based on shared Ford platforms. The 1961-69 big Lincolns were actually unibody, and shared with T-Bird. And later BOF LTD and Panthers

Edited by 630land

40 minutes ago, 630land said:

"That's because it is a rebrand Escape"

So what? The "classic" RWD Lincoln Continentals and Town Cars of the 60's through 2000's [that fan boys say are 'true Lincolns'] were based on shared Ford platforms. The 1961-69 big Lincolns were actually unibody, and shared with T-Bird. And later BOF LTD and Panthers

Someone needs to realize that I said it because of the magazine posted above said it, not because I believe it.

" I said it because of the magazine . . . "

Need to write that in posts.

Anyway, I agree with "Corsair blows the Cadillac XT4 out of the water just like Aviator sucked all the air out of the room for lame cold pizza XT6."  The Lincoln Utilities make the Caddy XT's look like the 1982 Cavalier rebadge job, the Cimarron. The XT6 is for sure like leftover Little Ceaser's pizza, cold, bland, and boooring.

Edited by 630land

12 minutes ago, 630land said:

" I said it because of the magazine . . . "

Need to write that in posts.

Anyway, I agree with "Corsair blows the Cadillac XT4 out of the water just like Aviator sucked all the air out of the room for lame cold pizza XT6."  The Lincoln Utilities make the Caddy XT's look like the 1982 Cavalier rebadge job, the Cimarron. The XT6 is for sure like leftover Little Ceaser's pizza, cold, bland, and boooring.

And yet, the XT4 might still outsell the Corsair, just as the Escalade, so long in the tooth and losing every comparative review, continued to outsell the redesigned Navigator (and will sell even more with the upcoming and long-overdue Esc redesign). I'm still trying to figure that out but I think it has to do with a combination of inertia and the fact that luxury car buyers just don't enjoy shopping at Ford dealerships for their vehicles. I think the Aviator will, however, manage outgun the sad excuse for an "all new" large luxury crossover, the XT6. 

14 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

...and the fact that luxury car buyers just don't enjoy shopping at Ford dealerships for their vehicles. ...

But they prefer to shop at the local Chevrolet / Buick / GMC dealership instead? In my market, the chain that owns the combo dealership just re-built their former stand along Acura store that was then converted to a "auction" house for their used cars for a bit is now the Buick / GMC / Cadillac site, but whenever they refer to the "new" store in advertising it is always either "Carbone Buick / GMC" or "Carbone Cadillac" ...like it is two different locations, but in truth, it is only one store. The former location for those marques is now "Carbone Chevrolet" whereas prior to the "big move", it was "Carbone Chevrolet / Buick / GMC / Cadillac"...the ultimate irony is that the whole sh-bang is now owned by Lithia....

14 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

And yet, the XT4 might still outsell the Corsair, just as the Escalade, so long in the tooth and losing every comparative review, continued to outsell the redesigned Navigator (and will sell even more with the upcoming and long-overdue Esc redesign). I'm still trying to figure that out but I think it has to do with a combination of inertia and the fact that luxury car buyers just don't enjoy shopping at Ford dealerships for their vehicles. I think the Aviator will, however, manage outgun the sad excuse for an "all new" large luxury crossover, the XT6. 

Have you ever shopped at a Cadillac dealership? Oh God, it's terrible. I went to two, test driving slightly used CTS and ATS before I got my Fusion. I've been to several Lincoln dealerships, that were much nicer.

15 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Have you ever shopped at a Cadillac dealership? Oh God, it's terrible. I went to two, test driving slightly used CTS and ATS before I got my Fusion. I've been to several Lincoln dealerships, that were much nicer.

In fairness both brands suffer from having dealers from before I was born.  We’re getting a new freestanding Lincoln in my town, but for the last decade Lincoln has been colocated in the megalomart Ford dealer I wouldn’t let an enemy shop at. 

4 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

After driving an XT5 Premium rental for 3 weeks, I don't think I'd ever consider a Caddy. Seats are uncomfortable after an hour, and the brake malfunction light came on for 2 hours while 600 miles from home. I almost called to have another vehicle brought out. Caddy's are horrible over priced Junk. Lincoln has been gaining major ground on them the last couple years. I can't think of a single reason to want a Caddy, except the night vision. That's cool.  

51 minutes ago, LSchicago said:

I can't think of a single reason to want a Caddy, except the night vision. That's cool.  

I was surprised that the Explorer/Aviator didn't feature it. Not so much for the Aviator but developed for the PI version of the Explorer.

That would see to be a very useful feature for law enforcement officers, the systems in the CT6 and X5 basically lets you see everything you would see in daylight. Ford showed the system a few years ago but never incorporated it into the vehicle. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Well, for Escalade v. Navi, they can make a lot more of them.  Plus Escalade has been more relevant for the last decade, with continual updates, whereas Navigator trudged on with an ugly look and minimal updates.

Cadillac, with their very expensive group of products dating back to the original CTS, has also gained a better, more modern reputation with the general public, whereas Lincoln has only recently started gaining some attention/recognition.  It'll take time, but I think it'll all work out in the end.

7 hours ago, twintornados said:

But they prefer to shop at the local Chevrolet / Buick / GMC dealership instead? In my market, the chain that owns the combo dealership just re-built their former stand along Acura store that was then converted to a "auction" house for their used cars for a bit is now the Buick / GMC / Cadillac site, but whenever they refer to the "new" store in advertising it is always either "Carbone Buick / GMC" or "Carbone Cadillac" ...like it is two different locations, but in truth, it is only one store. The former location for those marques is now "Carbone Chevrolet" whereas prior to the "big move", it was "Carbone Chevrolet / Buick / GMC / Cadillac"...the ultimate irony is that the whole sh-bang is now owned by Lithia....

I believe stand-alone Cadillac dealerships are the norm, opposed to Lincoln where most are Ford/And-Oh-Yeah-Lincoln dealerships. In my recent car search I didn't go to Cadillac places as the XT5 was never on my cross-shop list. The Audi, Volvo, Jaguar Land Rover, and Acura dealerships I went to were all stand-alone, as is typical, and they had a much different and better feel to them than the one Ford/Lincoln dealer I visited (I ultimately bought the Nautilus at the only stand-alone Lincoln dealership in the Washington DC metro area).

3 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

I believe stand-alone Cadillac dealerships are the norm, opposed to Lincoln where most are Ford/And-Oh-Yeah-Lincoln dealerships. In my recent car search I didn't go to Cadillac places as the XT5 was never on my cross-shop list. The Audi, Volvo, Jaguar Land Rover, and Acura dealerships I went to were all stand-alone, as is typical, and they had a much different and better feel to them than the one Ford/Lincoln dealer I visited (I ultimately bought the Nautilus at the only stand-alone Lincoln dealership in the Washington DC metro area).

I think Ford has recently said it'd like Lincoln dealers to again become standalone.  Which is ironic given they had them merge with Ford dealers years ago.

Hopefully we'll see that happen over time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I think Ford has recently said it'd like Lincoln dealers to again become standalone.  Which is ironic given they had them merge with Ford dealers years ago.

Hopefully we'll see that happen over time.

I don’t remember them ever wanting Lincoln dealers to merge with Ford dealers.  Some may have done that when the Lincoln lineup was bare bones though.  Lincoln has wanted separate dealerships for many years now but they can’t force the dealers to comply.

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

I don’t remember them ever wanting Lincoln dealers to merge with Ford dealers.  Some may have done that when the Lincoln lineup was bare bones though.  Lincoln has wanted separate dealerships for many years now but they can’t force the dealers to comply.

Well, maybe Ford didn't necessarily want them to, but I know most of them did.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Yes they did, perhaps out of necessity. In the last recession ford was paying Ford dealers to save Lincoln-Mercury dealers. The dealership I worked for got 60% of a remodel paid for by Ford for taking on Lincoln from a dealer going under. 

9 hours ago, blazerdude20 said:

Yes they did, perhaps out of necessity. In the last recession ford was paying Ford dealers to save Lincoln-Mercury dealers. The dealership I worked for got 60% of a remodel paid for by Ford for taking on Lincoln from a dealer going under. 

Makes sense if it was done to keep dealers from going under when the Lincoln cupboard was pretty bare.

9 hours ago, blazerdude20 said:

In my market, there was a local Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership and in the next town over there was two Ford dealerships and a Lincoln/Mercury dealership. The two Ford dealerships got into a bidding war to get the Lincoln/Mercury dealership lines when the L/M dealer decided to call it quits and the owner retired...One Ford dealership prevailed over the other so the dealer that did not get the line instead came into my market and bought the F/L/M dealership in my hometown because they wanted Lincoln....when the recession hit and Ford first shuttered Mercury, then they decided that two Lincoln dealers within 12 miles of each other was too much for this market and revoked the Lincoln line at the Ford store in my home town, the big dealer that bought shut down the Ford store since it made zero sense to them to have two Ford dealerships in their chain within 12 miles of each other competing for the same sale. 

The Ford store in my hometown is now a Mitsubishi dealership when the Auto Group that owned the property dumped it after pouring about a million dollars into renovations...my guess is, that is the likely reason why the "local" auto group was later bought out by Lithia....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, twintornados said:

In my market, there was a local Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership and in the next town over there was two Ford dealerships and a Lincoln/Mercury dealership. The two Ford dealerships got into a bidding war to get the Lincoln/Mercury dealership lines when the L/M dealer decided to call it quits and the owner retired...One Ford dealership prevailed over the other so the dealer that did not get the line instead came into my market and bought the F/L/M dealership in my hometown because they wanted Lincoln....when the recession hit and Ford first shuttered Mercury, then they decided that two Lincoln dealers within 12 miles of each other was too much for this market and revoked the Lincoln line at the Ford store in my home town, the big dealer that bought shut down the Ford store since it made zero sense to them to have two Ford dealerships in their chain within 12 miles of each other competing for the same sale. 

The Ford store in my hometown is now a Mitsubishi dealership when the Auto Group that owned the property dumped it after pouring about a million dollars into renovations...my guess is, that is the likely reason why the "local" auto group was later bought out by Lithia....

We sometimes forget how seriously rough those times were. My Lincoln dealership was a family owned Lincoln-Mercury dealer, still is (oddly, its official corporate name remains "East West Lincoln Mercury"), not too far from a Ford dealership. When Mercury went away they decided not to sell out and made a go of it as Lincoln only. It was a couple tough years but they pulled though and are doing great business today. If there were any other solo Lincoln-Mercury stores in the DC metro area at the time, they either died or merged with a Ford dealership.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

We sometimes forget how seriously rough those times were. My Lincoln dealership was a family owned Lincoln-Mercury dealer, still is (oddly, its official corporate name remains "East West Lincoln Mercury"), not too far from a Ford dealership. When Mercury went away they decided not to sell out and made a go of it as Lincoln only. It was a couple tough years but they pulled though and are doing great business today. If there were any other solo Lincoln-Mercury stores in the DC metro area at the time, they either died or merged with a Ford dealership.

That was exactly why they came up with the Mark LT pickup - to give Lincoln dealers something to sell after they killed Continental, LS and Aviator.

• Sad 1