EcoSport Brake Squeal

jwillum

My daughter and I both have 2017 Ecosports and both have an annoying brake squeal when in reverse but never while going forward. It comes from the front and seems worse when cold or damp. I had mine into the dealer and they removed some glaze from the pads. That fixed it temporarily but it was soon back.

Anyone else have this issue and find a solution? I’ve searched for TSBs but didn’t see anything. Maybe my daughter and I have the only ones that do it but I doubt it.

Thanks,

John

57 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

My Fusion does this when I'm backing out of the driveway when it's cold. Only from the rear brakes though. Dealer says it's normal but I'm not buying it, I've never had a car do that before. 

Sometimes brake noise is normal. However, I do hate squealing brakes. I put motorcraft pads on the rear of my 13 f150 and they squeal in reverse. I haven’t addressed it yet. If it only does it when damp/cold in reverse occasionally. Ford will probably classify as normal. 

Page 175 owners manual of a fusion 

GENERAL INFORMATION
Note: Occasional brake noise is normal. If a metal-to-metal, continuous grinding or continuous squeal sound is present, the brake linings may be worn-out and an authorized dealer should check them. If the vehicle has continuous vibration or shudder in the steering wheel while braking, an authorized dealer should check your vehicle.
Note: Brake dust may accumulate on the wheels, even under normal driving conditions. Some dust is inevitable as the brakes wear and does not contribute to brake noise. See Cleaning the Wheels (page 281).

On 4/16/2019 at 9:09 PM, akirby said:

Try doing a few hard stops from 50 mph (safely of course) every once in awhile.

Trust me, that happens often enough driving to and from work on the freeway.  ?  I may try doing it somewhere if I can get an empty stretch of road.

It does seem to be getting to be less of an issue now that it is warming up, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi! I own a 2020 Ford EcoSport & have the same issue. Dealer swears up and down that it's normal, but I disagree. I have just purchased a few packets of brake parts lubricator from AutoZone, and will be lubricating the brake pad shims & calipers to see if this fixes the issue.

I spoke with an independent mechanic and he said that they have seen this a lot on the EcoSport, and the only fix is to replace the rear brake pads & rotor since that is what is squealing. I'll let you know if I can fix it on my end.

• ice-capades changed the title to EcoSport Brake Squeal
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2018 EcoSport and just moved to a cooler climate and my brakes have started to make noise that they never once did in the warmer climate I just came from. Only the first time backing up of the day and if it's in the morning when the temp is cooler. My neighbor also has a 2018 and hers makes the sound too, exact same sound. We're in a campground and get up and outside early in the mornings and ours are the only 2 cars around that do this every morning.