New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
kylake

AC compressor lockup

My wife's Escape is a 2016 bought Oct 31st 2015. When she turned on the AC the other day with temps in the 80's and after a long winter rest there was no AC and she noticed a burnt rubber/wiring smell. Turns out the compressor locked up and burnt the belt. The vehicle only has 24K miles and I don't think that is normal and Ford should at the very least replace the compressor on their dime. What do you guys think and are there any service bulletins out on a problem of this nature for Ford Escapes.

Thanks in advance for any replies or comments.

There really aren't any issues with that compressor, per se. If you have a good relationship with your dealer you might get some assistance from Ford, if you (and I can't stress this enough) ASK kindly. 

Thank you YT90SC for the reply. We seem to have a good relationship with the dealer and have never asked for anything before. Your suggestion of ASK Kindly is well taken and it is not in our nature to be anything other. We have an appt. on Monday and will report back when I know more. Since it is on a separate belt I have just left it alone and so the dealer can see also the belt threw itself off when the compressor locked up.

Well the process for repair has started. Ford and our dealership both are assisting. That said it is unbelievable how much this will cost even after assistance. I really have to rethink buying again a vehicle with such a short (year wise) factory warranty or adding even more cost to a new Ford vehicle by adding an extended warranty. It was the AC compressor lock up with my simple diagnosis and their $80 diagnosis confirmed.

8 minutes ago, kylake said:

Well the process for repair has started. Ford and our dealership both are assisting. That said it is unbelievable how much this will cost even after assistance. I really have to rethink buying again a vehicle with such a short (year wise) factory warranty or adding even more cost to a new Ford vehicle by adding an extended warranty. It was the AC compressor lock up with my simple diagnosis and their $80 diagnosis confirmed.

I’m glad you are getting assistance.

It does suck to have a failure at low mileage but be out of warranty time wise. I’ll say this over and over. Warranties are nothing but an insurance policy. Just like health insurance and automobile insurance. You could have bought an ESP and would have been covered and this not even  happen. Like health insurance, if I don’t have it and I need medical attention then I have to pay. 

I don’t follow all the manufacturers warranty limits. However, I believe most in that class vehicle would be 3/36 bumper to bumper and power train is longer of course. Now step up to a luxury class and it be 4/50. Yet, you are paying for that extra in the MSRP. 

I bought Premium care on my two vehicles. It was about $1500 for 7/100. I’m sure I can find $1500 worth of repairs within 7 years 100k miles. Unfortunately, $1500 doesn’t go far anymore. One A/C repair can blow past that. Replace a seat track or a window regulator. It doesn’t take long. Or take that $1500 and put it aside towards any repairs. Regardless, I’m glad you are getting your escape fixed and hope no more issues. 

TANSTAAFL (google it).

3 yrs is the standard warranty on almost every non luxury vehicle sold today.  You have the option of purchasing additional coverage up to 7 yrs/100K miles.

Not aware of any recalls for this (I check from time to time).

I would agree. The AC compressor shouldn't fail at that age or mileage. And out of all the cars I've had, all the HVAC issues were in the GM vehicles. Ford should fix it, because that's clearly a defect. Whether or not they will without taking aggressive measures is questionable, and if the dealers around you refuse, you may have to contact Ford directly.

I wish you luck, and if you have any warrenty left, push like hell for it to be covered.