AC compressor lockup

kylake

My wife's Escape is a 2016 bought Oct 31st 2015. When she turned on the AC the other day with temps in the 80's and after a long winter rest there was no AC and she noticed a burnt rubber/wiring smell. Turns out the compressor locked up and burnt the belt. The vehicle only has 24K miles and I don't think that is normal and Ford should at the very least replace the compressor on their dime. What do you guys think and are there any service bulletins out on a problem of this nature for Ford Escapes.

Thanks in advance for any replies or comments.

Thank you YT90SC for the reply. We seem to have a good relationship with the dealer and have never asked for anything before. Your suggestion of ASK Kindly is well taken and it is not in our nature to be anything other. We have an appt. on Monday and will report back when I know more. Since it is on a separate belt I have just left it alone and so the dealer can see also the belt threw itself off when the compressor locked up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the process for repair has started. Ford and our dealership both are assisting. That said it is unbelievable how much this will cost even after assistance. I really have to rethink buying again a vehicle with such a short (year wise) factory warranty or adding even more cost to a new Ford vehicle by adding an extended warranty. It was the AC compressor lock up with my simple diagnosis and their $80 diagnosis confirmed.

8 minutes ago, kylake said:

Well the process for repair has started. Ford and our dealership both are assisting. That said it is unbelievable how much this will cost even after assistance. I really have to rethink buying again a vehicle with such a short (year wise) factory warranty or adding even more cost to a new Ford vehicle by adding an extended warranty. It was the AC compressor lock up with my simple diagnosis and their $80 diagnosis confirmed.

I’m glad you are getting assistance.

It does suck to have a failure at low mileage but be out of warranty time wise. I’ll say this over and over. Warranties are nothing but an insurance policy. Just like health insurance and automobile insurance. You could have bought an ESP and would have been covered and this not even  happen. Like health insurance, if I don’t have it and I need medical attention then I have to pay. 

I don’t follow all the manufacturers warranty limits. However, I believe most in that class vehicle would be 3/36 bumper to bumper and power train is longer of course. Now step up to a luxury class and it be 4/50. Yet, you are paying for that extra in the MSRP. 

I bought Premium care on my two vehicles. It was about $1500 for 7/100. I’m sure I can find $1500 worth of repairs within 7 years 100k miles. Unfortunately, $1500 doesn’t go far anymore. One A/C repair can blow past that. Replace a seat track or a window regulator. It doesn’t take long. Or take that $1500 and put it aside towards any repairs. Regardless, I’m glad you are getting your escape fixed and hope no more issues. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not aware of any recalls for this (I check from time to time).

I would agree. The AC compressor shouldn't fail at that age or mileage. And out of all the cars I've had, all the HVAC issues were in the GM vehicles. Ford should fix it, because that's clearly a defect. Whether or not they will without taking aggressive measures is questionable, and if the dealers around you refuse, you may have to contact Ford directly.

I wish you luck, and if you have any warrenty left, push like hell for it to be covered. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

First off thanks to all that took time to respond!

Well it was repaired and between Ford and Beaman we got some assistance but the cost was still over the top ($2,181.68). Very disappointed and never expected buying a top of the line Escape Titanium there would be, this serious of a problem, with only 24K miles and only a few months over 36. Maybe this was a fluke but it really does make me question how reliable this purchase will be. As MWolf85 pointed out it was clearly a defective part considering the age and miles.  I had expected Ford and Beaman Ford to do more because of the low miles and a clearly defective part installed on the line.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:28 PM, akirby said:

TANSTAAFL (google it).

3 yrs is the standard warranty on almost every non luxury vehicle sold today.  You have the option of purchasing additional coverage up to 7 yrs/100K miles.

I don't consider purchasing a new top of the line Ford Escape Titanium MSRP of 31K and it failing at 24k miles free lunch and if you look at one of your largest rivals 3 years is not the standard. Therefore what you said to me (I assume) is far below the standard Ford would expect of a board moderator. I hope Ford customer service reads what you wrote!

You seem to think this forum and the moderators are somehow associated with Ford and you couldn’t be more wrong.  None of us work for Ford and Ford has no connection to this private forum.

3 yrs/36k miles is the industry standard bumper to bumper warranty or most makes including Honda and Toyota.

The point is whatever the warranty is that’s all you paid for.  You could have gotten a 7 yr 100k mile ESP premium care extended warranty but you chose not to spend the money.  Had Ford made the standard warranty longer you would have paid more for the vehicle up front.  Warranties are never ever free.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, akirby said:

You seem to think this forum and the moderators are somehow associated with Ford and you couldn’t be more wrong.  None of us work for Ford and Ford has no connection to this private forum.

3 yrs/36k miles is the industry standard bumper to bumper warranty or most makes including Honda and Toyota.

I did not know this forum is completely independent of Ford since I think I have seen Ford customer service chime in sometimes to help resolve an issue. Mistaken assumption on my part, at least in the past I remember seeing that. Interesting also that the new one installed only has a 2 year warranty and not the 3 year warranty of a new purchase.

Funny you completely left out the GMC standard warranty 5/60 and I would assume as a single company they are Ford's main competitor??

Bottom line: Through no fault of Ford on or a line worker a CLEARLY DEFECTIVE part was installed on a top of the line Escape Titanium!! In that type of circumstance I would have expected Ford Corporation to go above and beyond the standard warranty regardless of whether I purchased the extended warranty and completely cover the corrective action needed for a DEFECTIVE PART they installed.

1 hour ago, kylake said:

I did not know this forum is completely independent of Ford since I think I have seen Ford customer service chime in sometimes to help resolve an issue. Mistaken assumption on my part, at least in the past I remember seeing that. Interesting also that the new one installed only has a 2 year warranty and not the 3 year warranty of a new purchase.

Funny you completely left out the GMC standard warranty 5/60 and I would assume as a single company they are Ford's main competitor??

Bottom line: Through no fault of Ford on or a line worker a CLEARLY DEFECTIVE part was installed on a top of the line Escape Titanium!! In that type of circumstance I would have expected Ford Corporation to go above and beyond the standard warranty regardless of whether I purchased the extended warranty and completely cover the corrective action needed for a DEFECTIVE PART they installed.

What you think was "Ford customer service" is actually mechanics that work at various Ford dealerships...as for your assumption of what you believe is a "CLEARLY DEFECTIVE" part is merely a part that failed and one that failed outside of warranty. Suck it up cupcake, it happens to all makes and models. Here is a hint for you, the compressor is the same whether it was installed on your top of the line Escape Titanium or the Escape S that was also on the line that day. Ford, GMC and others put a warranty for specific time and your part failed AFTER that period of time. Here is another idea...go trade your top of the line Escape Titanium in for a GMC and drive happy instead of coming here and endlessly whining about it. Sorry the part failed, but again, it happens....either get over it or get rid of it.

Edited by twintornados

1 hour ago, kylake said:

Interesting also that the new one installed only has a 2 year warranty and not the 3 year warranty of a new purchase.

Ford reps used to help people on many forums and social media including Facebook.  

GMC and Buick are premium brands and have longer warranties like Cadillac and Lincoln.  Ford’s counterpart is Chevrolet, Toyota and Honda.  Premium brands have longer warranties because they charge more,  you’re paying for the warranty either way whether it’s standard or an extended warranty.   And there is a reason they’re called LIMITED warranties.  

Ford does extend the factory warranty on some known defective parts but not on every part that ever fails.  Just like most other mfrs.  

You can be disappointed that they don’t extend warranties on no’s but you shouldn’t expect that they should cover every failure that occurs more than once.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:07 PM, twintornados said:

Suck it up cupcake

On 4/25/2019 at 3:28 PM, akirby said:

TANSTAAFL (google it).

Regardless of these two comments above it does help to complain and in a nice way even if out of warranty but a clearly defective part. Ford sent me a check for 928.67 which basically covers the compressor, kits and other associated parts. Thank you Ford! End of story and hopefully end of snide comments like those above.

19 minutes ago, kylake said:

Regardless of these two comments above it does help to complain and in a nice way even if out of warranty but a clearly defective part. Ford sent me a check for 928.67 which basically covers the compressor, kits and other associated parts. Thank you Ford! End of story and hopefully end of snide comments like those above.

It doesn’t help to complain.  It helps to ask your dealer for assistance.   But that is the dealer and Ford going above and beyond their obligation.

The fact remains is you paid for a 3/36k warranty and you actually got more than you paid for.   In the future if you want additional warranty coverage you should buy it up front and stop expecting companies to give you free coverage.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, akirby said:

But that is the dealer and Ford going above and beyond their obligation.

Yes it was and very much appreciated and expected. Not sure why you think manufactures should not go above and beyond standard obligation in circumstances caused by defective parts as it happens all the time in recalls and should also happen when a clearly defective part was installed (through no fault of Ford) simply a defective part that failed miles and years before the normal expected failure time.

Recalls only apply to safety issues and are mandated by the government.  Warranties are designed to cover defective parts by definition and also by definition are limited in time and scope.  You can purchase as much warranty coverage as you want up to at least 7 yrs and 100k miles.

Do I think Ford should extend the factory warranty on known defective parts?  In most cases yes and they do exactly that quite often.  But I don’t believe they have an obligation to do it.  And that goes for every mfr and product.  

Choosing not to buy an extended warranty and then expecting Ford to fix something for free is like not buying fries with your burger and then asking them to throw them in for free afterwards.

On 6/7/2019 at 5:27 PM, kylake said:

Hardly....so Ford DID give you assistance....hmmm, go figure.....Ford did utilize their "goodwill" program and I stand by my assertion that, contrary to what you erroneously believe, it is NOT a "clearly defective part" just one that failed out of warranty....here is a news flash for you....parts fail.....happens all the time, from all manufacturers...that is the reason why dealerships HAVE PARTS DEPARTMENTS.....glad Ford wasted $928.67 for your whining self.....go and buy yourself a GMC now....adios 

PS: Was just down in Tennessee....enjoyed a cold one at Kid Rocks joint....was that you that whizzed by on a electric scooter in a drunken blaze of glory?

Edited by twintornados