Entry Level High Performance Mustang - 330 hp

Whenever I get an il change or service at the dealer I like to look at the new cars on the lot, specifically Mustangs, to see if one serenades me into buying it like my last two did. Now, there's usually around three at Herb Chambers in MA. They usually just carry Escapes by the billion which is as exciting as going to Home Depot to look at the new line of toilet plungers. And I don't want an SUV or pickup.

Then there's Quirk in Quincy MA. The worst dealership in the universe with sales men with gold rings and watches and slicked back hair.  They have some Mustangs. A base model with cloth seats and manual for around $35,000 with a surprisingly empty option list, a GT for around $50,000 and the usual Shelby with a $65,000 sticker and a $50,000 ADM sitting by the entrance for around 18 months with six salesmen standing around it that say, "You'd look good driving that home." And they wonder why they cant sell this car for the years they have it and never lower the ADM. Then they have the usual array of Toilet plungers... um Escapes.

Sooo, I think I'll be driving my 2012 car for life.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2019 at 9:27 AM, akirby said:

Ecoboost performance package stickers around $31K.  Base GT is $36K.   I’d expect this to be in between.

There's a very thin band there to fit it in. I'm not sure what kind of customer would drop almost GT money and not get a GT. 

People getting Ecoboost are either doing so for price and/or better mileage, neither will be improved in the "Entry level High Performance".

People buying GTs are not going to buy anything else than a GT.

That only leaves people that want to buy GTs but can't afford it, will the $2-3k difference enough to make they give up on their dream car and settle for an "entry Level High Performance"? I don't think so but time will tell.

Looks like GM is using the 2.7 I-4 Turbo in the new Cadillac CT4 -V as a reset of the V trim to mid range performance, I've also heard that Chevrolet will be using the 2.7 I-4 T in the next Camaro refresh which will make things interesting with 320 Hp / 369 lb ft and 10AT.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, atomcat68 said:

Whenever I get an il change or service at the dealer I like to look at the new cars on the lot, specifically Mustangs, to see if one serenades me into buying it like my last two did. Now, there's usually around three at Herb Chambers in MA. They usually just carry Escapes by the billion which is as exciting as going to Home Depot to look at the new line of toilet plungers. And I don't want an SUV or pickup.

Then there's Quirk in Quincy MA. The worst dealership in the universe with sales men with gold rings and watches and slicked back hair.  They have some Mustangs. A base model with cloth seats and manual for around $35,000 with a surprisingly empty option list, a GT for around $50,000 and the usual Shelby with a $65,000 sticker and a $50,000 ADM sitting by the entrance for around 18 months with six salesmen standing around it that say, "You'd look good driving that home." And they wonder why they cant sell this car for the years they have it and never lower the ADM. Then they have the usual array of Toilet plungers... um Escapes.

Sooo, I think I'll be driving my 2012 car for life.

I could understand a Dealer using a $10,000 ADM for a Shelby, which is common considering the majority of Dealers can only get one Shelby per year but you're saying they're using a $50,000 ADM? Well maybe you have some axe to grind with Quirk Ford but out of curiosity I just went to their website. They have two Shelby's online... a GT350 listed at $5,000 over MSRP and a GT350R at $10,000 over MSRP which is reasonable considering the supply/demand situation especially for a GT350R. So whatever your problem is with Quirk Ford, at least get your facts straight! 

And before you try to walk back your claims, I've attached the screen image from Quirk Ford's website with their advertised prices for the 2 Shelby's in stock along with the Window Stickers.

Yes, there are Dealers that use questionable business practices and hurt the reputation of all other dealerships but your unfounded claims do just as much damage to all the other Ford dealerships that run respectable and honest operations.

Sorry to be blunt but posts like yours get me annoyed! 

486725244_QuirkFord_ShelbyMustangs.thumb.jpg.3338d1deef4aefbd3f477dd1e56a87c0.jpg

Quirk Ford_2019 Shelby GT350R_WS.pdf

Quirk Ford_2019 Shelby GT350_WS.pdf

• Like 1

I read somewhere 4 or 5 k for this package for 20 more HP?  I don't see the point.  I would go either base EcoBoost with 101A package for under $30k or go for the base GT with a few options for  under $40k.   Going in the middle is the "worst of both worlds" imho.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tico said:

I read somewhere 4 or 5 k for this package for 20 more HP?  I don't see the point.  I would go either base EcoBoost with 101A package for under $30k or go for the base GT with a few options for  under $40k.   Going in the middle is the "worst of both worlds" imho.

The devils in the detail, the torque curve is 40% broader and where that's noticed the most is in the top end where the engine no longer lays over beyond 5,000 rpm (standard EB is about 290 hp @5,500 and falls away badly by 6,000 rpm). The new engine stays strong through to 6,500 rpm. The V6 Camaro always shines against the regular EB Mustang, it's all to do with  the superior HP from 5,000 to 6,800 rpm, it's like a smaller V6 version of the Coyote.

Mind you for the money you spend on a bespoke performance Ecoboost, you could probably go get a tune, suspension and tires and still have change

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I could understand a Dealer using a $10,000 ADM for a Shelby, which is common considering the majority of Dealers can only get one Shelby per year but you're saying they're using a $50,000 ADM? Well maybe you have some axe to grind with Quirk Ford but out of curiosity I just went to their website. They have two Shelby's online... a GT350 listed at $5,000 over MSRP and a GT350R at $10,000 over MSRP which is reasonable considering the supply/demand situation especially for a GT350R. So whatever your problem is with Quirk Ford, at least get your facts straight! 

And before you try to walk back your claims, I've attached the screen image from Quirk Ford's website with their advertised prices for the 2 Shelby's in stock along with the Window Stickers.

Yes, there are Dealers that use questionable business practices and hurt the reputation of all other dealerships but your unfounded claims do just as much damage to all the other Ford dealerships that run respectable and honest operations.

Sorry to be blunt but posts like yours get me annoyed! 

486725244_QuirkFord_ShelbyMustangs.thumb.jpg.3338d1deef4aefbd3f477dd1e56a87c0.jpg

Quirk Ford_2019 Shelby GT350R_WS.pdf

Quirk Ford_2019 Shelby GT350_WS.pdf

That was supposed to be five not fifty, but I will not walk back claims on that dealership. The sales people I spoke to did not know the product, tried to push me to buy a Shelby or GT when I wanted a V6 (in 2015 when gen 6 came out the base model had a 6) and the last generations Shelbys which obviously didn't sell still had a markup. The sales people acted out every stereotype of a car salesman. The shame is that the car I wanted was on the website so either it was there that day or due to be delivered soon as the website usually post them before they get there (normal for all dealers). Every five minutes they would show me an expensive car and tell me how good I'd look driving that and not showing me a car like the one I wanted or if they didn't have it at the time, have me order one. I went to that dealership twice and twice they were terrible and twice they did not make the sale. Granted, the last time was 2015 and different people may be there, granted it may have been a bad day for them the last time, but I gave them two chances and twice I left grinding my teeth while not having this problem at any other dealership except when I friend ask me to help him negotiate a Hyundai at , guess what... Quirk Hyundai and they were bad there too. My experience was terrible and I will not walk back that. I do apologize for the mistake on the mark up to Quirk.

Janell Ford acted like adults and made a sale to me. They didn't have a generation 6, but I found a used gen five with only 4,000 miles (not a mis print but really 4,000) They did not pressure me or try to steer me to order an expensive car. They did suggest it, but when I said "no" they respected that.  I have never seen a Shelby at Janell, so I don't know if they mark them up too.

To be fair, Herb Chambers does the markup thing until the cars sprout mushrooms too. And the last time I was there for service, a salesman offered me a test drive on a new Mustang. He did act like an adult, but steered me to a flashy turbo four, which did not perform any better than my old six. It handled a little better, but actually felt slower but clearly not much of a step up and offered me a seven year loan for 700 a month! I tried not to laugh as I declined. There were other Mustangs, but there was some importance of me driving that one. I have purchase cars three times from Herb Chambers and each time, they were polite and didn't pressure me... and the cars didn't cost 700 a month!!! That made the sale. They were polite and respectful the last time too, but came up with a car that was at least 300 a month more than I was expecting. So I guess other dealers can have their "quirks " too.

Just now, akirby said:

Why would you put up with bad salespeople twice?  Just go to the sales mgr and say this is what I want to buy and these guys aren't helping me.  Or better yet do that by phone before you even go there.

Or contact the internet sales people.  In my experience they're more savvy and easier to deal with.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why would you put up with bad salespeople twice?  Just go to the sales mgr and say this is what I want to buy and these guys aren't helping me.  Or better yet do that by phone before you even go there.

It was once in the early 2000's and the other in 2015 when the new gen 6 Mustangs came out. That wasn't clear.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

Or contact the internet sales people.  In my experience they're more savvy and easier to deal with.

That's a good idea. Thank you. Are the internet sales people Ford's or the dealer? The only issue is that I do like to test drive it and would not like to have to make an appointment.

Edited by atomcat68

3 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

That's a good idea. Thank you. Are the internet sales people Ford's or the dealer? The only issue is that I do like to test drive it and would not like to have to make an appointment.

They’re just dealership sales people but they’re dealing with people who are doing their own research and competing with other dealerships doing the same so you don’t get the typical sleazy salesman tactics.  Contact them first and tell them you want to do a test drive and it shouldn’t be a problem.  If the internet salesperson isn’t available they’ll usually just get someone else to help you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years ago, a friend of mine got tired of the whole dealer walk and putting up with all the unnecessary sales pitches so he worked out exactly what he wanted and emailed six Ford dealers for a quote to his specifications, model/trim/color/engine/trans/options. He told them the lowest quote would  get the deal and made sure that everyone emailed could see who they were quoting against.

Two dealers didn't bother responding but  four quotes came back, he chose the lowest and got a great deal without all the BS.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Years ago, a friend of mine got tired of the whole dealer walk and putting up with all the unnecessary sales pitches so he worked out exactly what he wanted and emailed six Ford dealers for a quote to his specifications, model/trim/color/engine/trans/options. He told them the lowest quote would  get the deal and made sure that everyone emailed could see who they were quoting against.

Two dealers didn't bother responding but  four quotes came back, he chose the lowest and got a great deal without all the BS.

It’s really not that hard.  Back in the 90s I wanted a new Explorer 4 door XLT RWD.  I called several dealers, asked for the sales mgr and said how much over invoice?  One said he wasn’t sure.  Click.  2nd one said $800.  Said he could do $500 on an Eddie Bauer, 2 door or 4wd.  Last one said $500 no problem so that’s what we bought.  That was the best deal back then - explorers were hot.

Is it the dealerships, choices of models, costs or just getting old.
Buying a car is just not as fun as it once was...

Akirby, I may try the email route in the future it sounds solid process. 
Any suggestions on the trade in? In the past either the new car was lower or the trade in was higher for me, but in the end it all washed out.