Jump to content

New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

  • Custom Search


2005Explorer

My new Ranger is a Very Rare One!

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Makes me question what the point is since using Waze, Google Maps etc. with sync 3 is so easy 

I believe the only real advantages to factory nav is you don't need to use data from your phone and it still works in an area without a good cell signal. If you live in the mountains or rural areas with spotty signal it still works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

I believe the only real advantages to factory nav is you don't need to use data from your phone and it still works in an area without a good cell signal. If you live in the mountains or rural areas with spotty signal it still works.

That's a fair point, though I think some of the phone apps pre-load the map based on the route you use. Not 100% sure of that but I do know that when I used apple maps (shut up, I know it apparently sucks but I have never had a problem with it so that's what I use) in Canada I forgot to activate international roaming on my phone despite it being part of my data plan. The physical map didn't show up but the blue line still appeared on a blank grid and turn by turn still worked. It was odd but it got me where I needed to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, akirby said:

Has nothing to do with the software, they don’t want to pay for new maps.  It’s strictly cost cutting.

I'm trying to decide which is worse... Incompetence or wilful negligence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Tried. Won't accept an update and I can't leave it at the dealer for them to take care of it. It's my only car right now 

 

Understood. I had few glitches with mine right after I bought it. Tried to upgrade myself and failed. I took it into the dealer and it took 2-3 hours to upgrade. It's been nearly flawless since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sync 3 on two vehicles and it is flawless on both.   The older one, my 2017 Lincoln, updated itself over WiFi.   The one on my Mustang must have already had the latest update.....or it also updated itself without me realizing it.     The speed, the voice recognition and the user friendliness has been first rate for me.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's a fair point, though I think some of the phone apps pre-load the map based on the route you use. Not 100% sure of that but I do know that when I used apple maps (shut up, I know it apparently sucks but I have never had a problem with it so that's what I use) in Canada I forgot to activate international roaming on my phone despite it being part of my data plan. The physical map didn't show up but the blue line still appeared on a blank grid and turn by turn still worked. It was odd but it got me where I needed to go. 

I was using google maps in Canada a few weeks ago, and I'd start the route on WiFi, but then go out of data (I was supposed to have it but it wasn't working), and as long as you start the route with signal, it'll keep the route going as you're driving, but otherwise it wouldn't have started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EDIT: Drunk posting...and I haven't even had a drink yet!

Edited by fordmantpw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's a fair point, though I think some of the phone apps pre-load the map based on the route you use. 

Waze doesn't. When I was in BFE Texas with lousy cell reception late last year, I couldn't change my destination, because she had no clue about anything other than the route she'd calculated when I had coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 7:20 AM, jasonj80 said:

If it is on the build sticker it is tied to the VIN so shouldn't have any update issues, it shows the vehicle as having navigation. The dealer probably deleted the Tech package option code and deleted the option code for the Adaptive cruise and didn't delete the option code for the Nav, which should have thrown an error, so it is either a issue with the system, or someone at Ford over ruled the error when the dealer was trying to change it and pushed it into the system. I remember when Ford had the B-lot there used to be some really weird optioned cars on it because people would over rule the ordering requirements and get different interiors and options on vehicles trim lines. I know they are rolling out a new ordering system to try and speed custom orders so that is also how the error could have occurred. 

I just did a Sync version update for my truck and what you said is correct. It loaded up the nav version based on my VIN. Anyhow I just LOVE this little truck. It’s my favorite vehicle I’ve ever gotten so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it didn't take long to have a problem... Under 400 miles and the Check Engine light is already on. 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

Well it didn't take long to have a problem... Under 400 miles and the Check Engine light is already on. 😕

Dang, hope it's nothing major. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

Well it didn't take long to have a problem... Under 400 miles and the Check Engine light is already on. 😕

That few miles on it I'm going to guess there's an EVAP issue. Probably something not fully seated. 

 

Man I hate EVAP issues 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That few miles on it I'm going to guess there's an EVAP issue. Probably something not fully seated. 

 

Man I hate EVAP issues 

 

I changed the purge valve on daughter's 2014 Escape.  Royal PITA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, akirby said:

 

I changed the purge valve on daughter's 2014 Escape.  Royal PITA!

1.5 EB? Yep that one sucks. Much easier to deal with the associated tubing while the engine is hanging on the line and even then it's a PITA to get it all routed correctly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

1.5 EB? Yep that one sucks. Much easier to deal with the associated tubing while the engine is hanging on the line and even then it's a PITA to get it all routed correctly. 

2.0LEB.  I had to remove the wipers and cowl and intake to get to the rear connector and the other 3 weren't easy to reach either.  I don't understand why they don't just make the valve itself replaceable with connectors.

It would have been a lot easier if I didn't follow the youtube advice on how to remove the old connectors.  I thought the push button had to be pried outwards instead of just pushing it in after popping out the bottom one.  Still only took about 3 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, akirby said:

2.0LEB.  I had to remove the wipers and cowl and intake to get to the rear connector and the other 3 weren't easy to reach either.  I don't understand why they don't just make the valve itself replaceable with connectors.

It would have been a lot easier if I didn't follow the youtube advice on how to remove the old connectors.  I thought the push button had to be pried outwards instead of just pushing it in after popping out the bottom one.  Still only took about 3 hours.

Could you not get to it from underneath?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Could you not get to it from underneath?

Not the rear one (I don’t think).  I was going to do the front passenger side from the bottom but I was able to get it from the top after all.

Honestly if I had figured out the connector it would have been a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took it in today and it reported an error with the #1 fuel injector. While they were working on diagnosing the problem the light went out on it's own and the error went away without them erasing it. He said it's a bit of a job to tear into the injectors because the intake has to come off. Anyhow he's going to leave the ticket open for a little bit to see if it comes back on and needs an actual repair. Fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird stuff like that happens I guess? A buddy of mine had his F-150 throw a code for a short in coil #6 (2013 5.0). Was gone a few hours later 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 7:10 AM, rmc523 said:

I was using google maps in Canada a few weeks ago, and I'd start the route on WiFi, but then go out of data (I was supposed to have it but it wasn't working), and as long as you start the route with signal, it'll keep the route going as you're driving, but otherwise it wouldn't have started.

You can download map areas with google maps. Then you can start any route you want within that area without service.  I use it for work, I keep about the top 20% of California downloaded in the app. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Weird stuff like that happens I guess? A buddy of mine had his F-150 throw a code for a short in coil #6 (2013 5.0). Was gone a few hours later 

My Coyote threw a "misfire in first 1,000 revolutions" error that went away and didn't come back.

Then again, it had over 102K miles on the clock when that happened, so I guess it's due some coils anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×