My new Ranger is a Very Rare One!

I just picked up my new Ranger yesterday. I LOVE it! It is my favorite vehicle I’ve ever purchased and I’ve only had it a day. Anyhow it is a 302A XLT without the tech package, but I have factory nav! I’m not sure how this mis-build happened, but I have a theory. When I was looking to order a Ranger in January to replace my leased F150 I sat down with a salesman and we spec’ed out a Ranger. He called me the next day and said they already had a dealer order in for an XLT 302A in magnetic with the FX4 package. They could still modify the order so he changed the ebony interior to medium stone, added a block heater, added the rubber floor tray liners and deleted the tech package with adaptive cruise and factory navigation. Anyhow when the window sticker showed up there was no tech package on it, but it still had nav listed as part of the Sync 3 system. I thought it must just be a misprint. You can’t get nav without the tech package. Somehow the nav remained on the build even though the package and adaptive cruise was deleted. It’s a rare one with standard cruise and factory nav. The unicorn of 2019! ?

Anyhow I was very vocal about Ford not originally bringing the T6 Ranger to the US so I put my money where my mouth is. Love the truck! Thanks to everyone who took part in building it!

BTW I have attached the picture where you can see the standard cruise controls and the factory nav pulled up. Go try to build one like that... bet you can’t!?

D905FED8-0F09-47CE-845B-02B1DBF06EE3.jpeg

28F144FD-B945-4C19-8E7C-F12697B731F1.jpeg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Any concerns with subsequent software updates confusing the truck as to what is does/doesn't have active?

If it is on the build sticker it is tied to the VIN so shouldn't have any update issues, it shows the vehicle as having navigation. The dealer probably deleted the Tech package option code and deleted the option code for the Adaptive cruise and didn't delete the option code for the Nav, which should have thrown an error, so it is either a issue with the system, or someone at Ford over ruled the error when the dealer was trying to change it and pushed it into the system. I remember when Ford had the B-lot there used to be some really weird optioned cars on it because people would over rule the ordering requirements and get different interiors and options on vehicles trim lines. I know they are rolling out a new ordering system to try and speed custom orders so that is also how the error could have occurred. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

If it is on the build sticker it is tied to the VIN so shouldn't have any update issues, it shows the vehicle as having navigation. The dealer probably deleted the Tech package option code and deleted the option code for the Adaptive cruise and didn't delete the option code for the Nav, which should have thrown an error, so it is either a issue with the system, or someone at Ford over ruled the error when the dealer was trying to change it and pushed it into the system. I remember when Ford had the B-lot there used to be some really weird optioned cars on it because people would over rule the ordering requirements and get different interiors and options on vehicles trim lines. I know they are rolling out a new ordering system to try and speed custom orders so that is also how the error could have occurred. 

Thanks for the insight about how this might have happened. I'm sure over the years other errors in the ordering process made it through the system creating a few unique vehicles. Anyhow I love the truck and am happy about the navigation suprise.

Congratulations 2005Explorer sir on your new Ford Ranger with that nav system bonus! And thanks for sharing the photos of your Ranger with beautiful clear blue skies of South Dakota as a backdrop. :)

Do you know if base Sync 3 in 2019 Ranger has the navigation capability already built in? Then add SD card and activation code (or something like that) to make the nav work? The Ranger I ordered is an XLT 301A without Tech Package. It includes base Sync 3. Not that I need the nav system, but if it's just an SD card and activation that's pretty cool.

7 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Do you know if base Sync 3 in 2019 Ranger has the navigation capability already built in? Then add SD card and activation code (or something like that) to make the nav work?

There are no SD cards with sync 3 - it's all built in.  There is no official Nav upgrade but lots of folks have done it using Forscan or using 3rd parties.  But no it's not a simple upgrade.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, akirby said:

There are no SD cards with sync 3 - it's all built in.  There is no official Nav upgrade but lots of folks have done it using Forscan or using 3rd parties.  But no it's not a simple upgrade.

Thanks akirby! That makes the "free nav" upgrade on 2005Explorer's Ranger especially nice. :)

No big deal for the Ranger I ordered, Sync 3's Android Auto capability is plenty good for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

My understanding is you need to replace the APIM with the Nav version and then you can activate it via forscam.  Not sure if the GPS antenna is included in all vehicles or needs to be added but it wasn't as hard as one thought.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

The navigation in my 2017 Super Duty was outdated when I drove it off the lot, so I just use Waze/Apple Maps.  Waze through Sync 3 is actually pretty sweet.

That's some seriously bad form on Ford.  They gotta figure their software out, ugh.

Edited by probowler

5 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

The navigation in my 2017 Super Duty was outdated when I drove it off the lot, so I just use Waze/Apple Maps.  Waze through Sync 3 is actually pretty sweet.

I was pleasantly surprised on how well the Waze pass through works. A very nice addition. 

• Like 1