F150 shootout

The one thing missing from this article is any mention of the axle ratio in each truck. Were they all the same? If you are only interested in acceleration times the steeper the ratio the quicker the truck will be, and that's especially true with the V8 which makes it's power higher in the rpm range than the EB's. The fact that these trucks were all provided by the maker of the tunes makes me a bit suspicious of what they might be trying to promote. For example, if there is a bigger market for EB tunes and if that's your intended target then you might not do anything to make the V8 look more competitive, like adding a CAI kit which they mysteriously did do on the 3.5 EB. Most consumers who are only interested in acceleration, which is probably not why they bought a truck in the first place, would probably option their truck to get the best acceleration. In the case of the Coyote, that means a 3.73:1 axle ratio.

23 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

The one thing missing from this article is any mention of the axle ratio in each truck. Were they all the same? If you are only interested in acceleration times the steeper the ratio the quicker the truck will be, and that's especially true with the V8 which makes it's power higher in the rpm range than the EB's. The fact that these trucks were all provided by the maker of the tunes makes me a bit suspicious of what they might be trying to promote. For example, if there is a bigger market for EB tunes and if that's your intended target then you might not do anything to make the V8 look more competitive, like adding a CAI kit which they mysteriously did do on the 3.5 EB. Most consumers who are only interested in acceleration, which is probably not why they bought a truck in the first place, would probably option their truck to get the best acceleration. In the case of the Coyote, that means a 3.73:1 axle ratio.

I’m sure they want to sell just as many tunes to 5.0L owners.

The point was the difference between stock and tuned which doesn’t have much to do with the gearing.   It’s no secret the turbos respond better to tuning and it’s no secret the 3.5LEB is a beast.  The rest was just entertainment.

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

The 2.7 was the real star.  It was quicker to 60 than the 3.5 in the stock trucks. 

I bet it had a different axle ratio.  Either way it was very impressive.  If I could have found a 2.7L in stock the way I wanted it I probably would have gotten it instead of the 3.5LEB.

The 3.5l eco boost was also a different trim and likely weighed more.  The 2.7 was impressive whatever axle ratio it had.  With it’s combination of performance and fuel economy there isn’t much reason to step up to the 5.0 (unless you want the sound and naturally aspirated) or 3.5  ecoboost for max towing or performance.