Ford's fight to remain an icon

• 1 month later...

I sort of laugh when the so-called business experts are trying to claim that a Ford-VW or Ford-GM merger will happen soon because of the whole FCA-Renault deal. Ford will likely form joint ventures like they are with VW or possibly Rivian in the future, but merge away this company? I don't see that happening anytime soon. The family seems so proud, involved and has enough control they'd almost go down with the ship before they sold it off and lost control. It truly is our last original US automaker that has never merged away or went bankrupt. You've got to give them a lot of credit for preserving Henry's legacy.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

The family seems so proud, involved and has enough control they'd almost go down with the ship before they sold it off and lost control. It truly is our last original US automaker that has never merged away or went bankrupt. You've got to give them a lot of credit for preserving Henry's legacy.

Ford family must have divine help to keep Ford Motor Company alive all these years. The company did everything possible to go out of business many times in its history, including recently between the time Alan Mulally left and Jim Hackett became CEO.

28 minutes ago, akirby said:

Oops.  I thought you were making a joke about Edsel vehicles not making a statement about the person.

Laugh rescinded.

The debacle of the Edsel line of vehicles will hang like an albatross around the neck of Hank the Deuce...I understand he was trying to pay tribute to his father but instead, it infamously backfired and forever tainted Edsel's good name. Too bad....I would have loved to see an "Edsel" signature edition Lincoln....and I liked the ad that Lincoln ran a few years back that included Edsel Ford in the importance of the history of Lincoln. 

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Ford family must have divine help to keep Ford Motor Company alive all these years. The company did everything possible to go out of business many times in its history, including recently between the time Alan Mulally left and Jim Hackett became CEO.

See though that’s the difference between a family controlled company vs. a faceless activist controlled corporation. If you watch any interview with any Ford family member who’s deeply involved with Ford the love, pride and commitment to their company is amazing. Every year at the annual meeting some stockholders always bring up the proposal to take away the special voting shares that the family has that gives them a 40% controlling voting share. This year it was actually defeated by a slightly larger margin then in past years. Taking away this special class of stock would be the end of  Ford Motor Company as we know it. So it’s not so much divine help that’s saved Ford, but a family that cares deeply about keeping it running. Sure lots of mistakes have been made, but somehow the Ford’s always dig their heals in, pull up their boots straps and keep this 115 year old American icon running.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aadl12 said:

Will soon own my first Ford vehicle (Mustang GT). My family says they are not reliable, I'm hoping I can prove them wrong.

You have nothing to prove.  What does your family have that proves them right? 

All vehicles have to be fixed once and while, there is no shortage for service and repairs being done on foreign brands every single day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

You have nothing to prove.  What does your family have that proves them right? 

All vehicles have to be fixed once and while, there is no shortage for service and repairs being done on foreign brands every single day.

Before I saw the light and started selling Fords, I worked at a large Toyota store. They averaged 130+ cars a day in the service department. Salespeople were for the most part prohibited from entering the service department, but I can assure you that most of them were not there for routine maintenance.

17 hours ago, mpcmotorsports said:

Before I saw the light and started selling Fords, I worked at a large Toyota store. They averaged 130+ cars a day in the service department. Salespeople were for the most part prohibited from entering the service department, but I can assure you that most of them were not there for routine maintenance.

Really?? In the early 90's  I worked as a salesman at the local Toyota store and we were encouraged to go to the service department to "go fishing" to see if anyone was ready to trade in for a new Toyota.....my, how times have changed.

On 6/1/2019 at 7:13 AM, twintornados said:

Really?? In the early 90's  I worked as a salesman at the local Toyota store and we were encouraged to go to the service department to "go fishing" to see if anyone was ready to trade in for a new Toyota.....my, how times have changed.

I meant the actual service bay area, not the waiting room.

• Like 1