Ford To Join Forces in India with Mahindra

I think this is really focused on cheap cars for the Indian market. Ford can't build them cheap enough to be competitive. Ford will probably continue to build Figo in India for export. Figo is considered "mid size" car in India. But for things that are smaller, Ford is going to rely on Mahindra to supply the engineering and hardware.

This is a smart exit strategy because it keeps Ford in India (thru rebadged Mahindra in the new joint venture) but Ford won't have to invest any real money to design and build the cheap cars. Meanwhile, it also keep Ford's manufacturing intact in India so it can still export.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Ford does not need to have two factories in Brazil and India, since the volume is small. Camaçari is important, because there Ford exports to all South America markets. It is important for Ford to make a partnership as GM did with the Chinese SAIC, which resulted in the GEM platform, but with Mahindra. I just hope it's a partnership, not just Mahindras with Ford's logo.

Ford does not need to have two factories in Brazil and India, since the volume is small. Camaçari is important, because there Ford exports to all South America markets. It is important for Ford to make a partnership as GM did with the Chinese SAIC, which resulted in the GEM platform, but with Mahindra. I just hope it's a partnership, not just Mahindras with Ford's logo.

• 2 weeks later...