Automatic tow/haul 2018 Navigator Reserve

I’ve noticed when connecting my trailer that the tow/haul setting doesn’t always come on but the trailer is detected by the car.  Is the tow/haul setting not always enabled depending on conditions and trailer weight?  When I connect the trailer wiring the instrument cluster displays the ‘trailer detected’ and wants me to select what trailer I have connected... all the lights works and all that but the actual tow/haul fount that changes the trans shifting does not enable.  I have this setting set to ‘automatic’.  Any ideas?  Out of the last 5 times I connected the trailer it has come o  twice.

Edited by boredinbirmingham

31 minutes ago, akirby said:

It says it only works in 2H and 4A - were you in a different mode sometimes?

No, I have been in 2h each time.  I’m beginning to thing that weight may have a factor in this because a few min ago I went to connect again to see if it mattered if the car was on or off... I only connected the trailer wiring and did not connect the trailer ball or the trailer to the hitch and the car did not detect anything being connected.  I’ll be towing again in a few days so I’ll have the ball installed so I’m going to play with this some more.  But do you they g the weight of the trailer would play into this at all?

• 1 month later...

So I had my dealer come and pick up the vehicle and they tested the tow system and it checked out as fine but they were not able to get the tow setting to come on... the service manager just said they could connect to the diagnostic machine but they didn’t have a trailer to connect.  I guess the diagnostic machine isn’t able to mimic a trailer or enable the setting.  Not sure what the issue is now, they have contacted Lincoln to see what to do next.  I wonder if it’s something with my trailer connection.  Not really sure what to think at this point.  I’m traveling and towing next Friday so hopefully we have answers soon.