Ford Debuting New 'Entry Level' 2020 Mustang Performance Model

On 4/7/2019 at 11:58 AM, twintornados said:

2.7L V6 EB and a 10 speed automatic...right now, this combo is already available in F150....should be a snap to drop into Mustang...unique tune for Mustang to bring HP up to 350 and torque to 400 and boom....Mustang ST

I read somewhere that the turbo locations and plumbing would have to be revised for the Mustang.  So, it might not be a snap to drop it into the Mustang, but should not be a big effort either.  

Edited by CurtisH

2 hours ago, brucelinc said:

If entry level means less expensive, is a turbo V6 less expensive to produce and offer than a naturally aspirated V8?

There is very relationship between cost to produce and retail price. V6 turbo is a premium option over V8 in F-150 because that's how Ford positioned it. Doesn't mean the V6 turbo is more expensive to produce (it could be but it's not the reason why Ford wants more money for it).

But like I said earlier, there will not be a turbo V6 Mustang as long as enough people expect GT to have a V8. The performance potential of 3.0 or 3.5 EB exceeds 5.0 V8 in a retail friendly street legal tune so unless Ford is prepared to ditch the V8 in GT, you will not see a V6 turbo Mustang. Ford can turn up the boost just a bit and a 3.0 EB Mustang will probably outrun the V8 in quarter mile and out-handle it on street and race course.

In the F-150, this is how Ford has positioned the V6 as an alternative to V8:

• 2.7 V6 EB <--> 5.0 V8
  • 3.5 EB <--> 6.2 V8

The 5.0 V8 in Mustang is tuned different than F-150 (more peak horsepower) so you can make same assumption about 2.7 V6 turbo or 3.0 turbo in a Mustang... they will also be tuned to produce more peak horsepower than in SUV or trucks. So in a Mustang, any of the current V6 turbo is in theory equal or greater than the 5.0 V8 in Ford's performance pecking order.

Edited by bzcat

8 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Honestly, when I heard "entry level", I was thinking a 2.0L Ecoboost with 250HP...Granted, from 310 to 460 it's a big spread, and figured the 3.0L with 400HP would be a good middle crowd, but "entry" to me, as low as you can go.

Unless, of course, Ford plans on moving the bar upward for the GT.....

Add on: While on the road last night, I saw a new Mustang at an intersection and where the "5.0" badge would normally be on the fender, it read "2.3 T" instead...I guessed it was an aftermarket badge that an owner added. Wish I could have gotten a picture of it....

Edited by twintornados

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Add on: While on the road last night, I saw a new Mustang at an intersection and where the "5.0" badge would normally be on the fender, it read "2.3 T" instead...I guessed it was an aftermarket badge that an owner added. Wish I could have gotten a picture of it....

Look like this?   https://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSTANG-2-3T-ECOBOOST-SVO-EMBLEM-SATIN-BLACK-WITH-RED-UPR-/291874652895?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

HRG

9 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Honestly, when I heard "entry level", I was thinking a 2.0L Ecoboost with 250HP...Granted, from 310 to 460 it's a big spread, and figured the 3.0L with 400HP would be a good middle crowd, but "entry" to me, as low as you can go.

But it didn't say entry level - it said entry level PERFORMANCE.

• Like 1

Looks like embargo has just passed regarding this so-called 'entry level performance model'. Not SVO or anything major other than quick updates here and there and boosting horsepower from 310 to 330 with torque remaining at 350. Rather disappointing if you ask me. Surely there's something other than this to be announced/revealed at Ford's afternoon press conference on the 17th to commemorate Mustang's 55th birthday.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/15/ford-mustang-ecoboost-high-performance-package-6s0n3a1c7k5/

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1122610_2020-ford-mustang-ecoboost-gets-slew-of-upgrades-from-ford-performance