Jump to content

New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
T-dubz

Ford Debuting New 'Entry Level' 2020 Mustang Performance Model

Recommended Posts

https://www.motor1.com/news/329157/ford-debuting-entry-level-mustang/

Anyone know what this might be? Article doesn’t say much other than an entry level mustang will be coming with extra performance and they will find out more in a few weeks.

 

Edited by T-dubz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t there a rumor of a more powerful EcoBoost I4 coming? Maybe a version making 340/350hp would make a nice upgrade model between the I4 and the GT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Focus RS version of the 2.3, 10 speed auto/6 speed manual and boom, there you go 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ecoboost mustang 310hp/350 - $26,395

focus RS 350hp/350 - $41,120

mustang gt 460hp/420 - $35,355

hp numbers seem like a good fit, but wondering what the price would be seeing as how the RS is so much more expensive then the gt. Entry level to me implies it would be closer in price to the ecoboost mustang, or at least in between the ecoboost and gt.

 

 

Edited by T-dubz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

350hp and $30k... Call it SVO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No to SVO.  Call it Mustang ST.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jqa1824 said:

Wasn’t there a rumor of a more powerful EcoBoost I4 coming? Maybe a version making 340/350hp would make a nice upgrade model between the I4 and the GT?

A natural progression would be the 2.7L V6 EB...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, twintornados said:

A natural progression would be the 2.7L V6 EB...

2.7L would be nice for China too, under the displacement tax. Also give the tuners some practice before the Ranger and Bronco. 

Edited by jasonj80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about a 3.0 V6 EB from Explorer, 400 HP and 415 lb ft......and still under 3.0 liter limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

What about a 3.0 V6 EB from Explorer, 400 HP and 415 lb ft......and still under 3.0 liter limit.

Well, technically 3.0L is not under 3.0L.....it is 3.0L.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Well, technically 3.0L is not under 3.0L.....it is 3.0L.

Ah! It's actually 2967cc's, so under the 3.0L limit.

HRG

3.0 TT.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Ah! It's actually 2967cc's, so under the 3.0L limit.

HRG

So, in China, will they bill it as a 2.9L?? 

Image result for splitting hairs meme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

What about a 3.0 V6 EB from Explorer, 400 HP and 415 lb ft......and still under 3.0 liter limit.

400 HP would be great for around $30K, but they should then bump the GT up to 500 HP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

No to SVO.  Call it Mustang ST.  

 

20 hours ago, bzcat said:

350hp and $30k... Call it SVO

 

 

Nah....

 

Image result for 1988 Mustang LX 5.0

Mustang LX has a better ring to it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2.7/3.0 might start stepping on the coyotes toes, especially after the tuners crank up the boost.

When I hear "entry level performance model", I think of an extra stripped down (no electronic gizmos/nav/etc, steel wheels, cheap cloth seats, no tinted glass, etc) mustang that comes with a coyote under the hood, all for less than $30k.. Obviously others are interpreting this differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

22 hours ago, Trailhiker said:

400 HP would be great for around $30K, but they should then bump the GT up to 500 HP!

I think the step will be the Bullitt's 480 HP tune..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

 

 

I think the step will be the Bullitt's 480 HP tune..

My 2013 is just over 500 hp (507) with a tune, exhaust, injectors, & tb. The current Coyote should be easy with pretty much a tune. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 351cid said:

My 2013 is just over 500 hp (507) with a tune, exhaust, injectors, & tb. The current Coyote should be easy with pretty much a tune. 

Of course but they won't do that   while they're selling a 480 HP Bullitt, if it's a hybrid, it could easily have 500 HP and 600 lb ft, that would be neat too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 351cid said:

My 2013 is just over 500 hp (507) with a tune, exhaust, injectors, & tb. The current Coyote should be easy with pretty much a tune. 

How are you measuring that amount of power with just those mods?   I have spoken with about every Coyote tuner in the country and all of them tell me that there is not a lot of room for tuning growth with the current Coyote on 93 octane fuel.    They do like octane so E85 with appropriate adjustments is good for a nice power bump.    Headers are also a popular upgrade.    The big power comes from a blower or turbos, though.    

Like Sevensecondsuv, when I think of an entry level performance Mustang, it is like the old Mustang LX.....basically a stripped model with the top engine....the Coyote.    Some people have bought the current GT with just the 300A or 301A package and no other options so they can have the lightest weight and lowest price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford Authority are suggesting this could be the new "SVO"............but I'm wondering if this isn't a 55th Anniversary SE. It's riding on 50th Anniversary wheels and the faux gas cap is usually reserved for the more "retro" models (like said 50th Anniversary SE and the Cali Special)

http://fordauthority.com/2019/04/new-spy-pictures-potentially-show-upcoming-mustang-svo/?fbclid=IwAR1fDXtuv9kGHaWTFTpH46jGiSLyIV2bUHOEf2GGt5qIaNzNqctGcAsXJcI

2020-Ford-Mustang-SVO-Spy-Shots-Exterior2020-Ford-Mustang-SVO-Spy-Shots-Exterior

 

Here's the 50th, for reference....

 

ford-mustang-50-year-18_800x0w.jpg

Edited by Twin Turbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2.7L V6 EB and a 10 speed automatic...right now, this combo is already available in F150....should be a snap to drop into Mustang...unique tune for Mustang to bring HP up to 350 and torque to 400 and boom....Mustang ST

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brucelinc said:

How are you measuring that amount of power with just those mods?   I have spoken with about every Coyote tuner in the country and all of them tell me that there is not a lot of room for tuning growth with the current Coyote on 93 octane fuel.    They do like octane so E85 with appropriate adjustments is good for a nice power bump.    Headers are also a popular upgrade.    The big power comes from a blower or turbos, though.    

Like Sevensecondsuv, when I think of an entry level performance Mustang, it is like the old Mustang LX.....basically a stripped model with the top engine....the Coyote.    Some people have bought the current GT with just the 300A or 301A package and no other options so they can have the lightest weight and lowest price.

Mine was calculated based on chassis dyno of 431 rwhp @ 7200 rpm & 422 lb ft. The guy running the dyno told me his #'s said 507 at the crank with the 6 speed manual. 

 

When I said exhaust, that is heads back. Headers, exhaust pipes, cross over, high flow cats, etc

Edited by 351cid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, twintornados said:

2.7L V6 EB and a 10 speed automatic...right now, this combo is already available in F150....should be a snap to drop into Mustang...unique tune for Mustang to bring HP up to 350 and torque to 400 and boom....Mustang ST

This is exactly the reason why I don't think Ford will do a 2.7 EB Mustang because in theory, 2.7 EB is the 5.0 V8 replacement. This is also why there will never be a 3.5 EB Mustang as long as 5.0 V8 is around.

The only chance we will see a 2.7 or 3.0 EB Mustang in the future is if there is a substantial increase in the performance of 5.0 V8. For example, if 5.0 V8 comes only in hybrid form with close to ~500hp combined.

Or the unthinkable (to V8 faithful anyway...) - that 3.0 or 3.5 EB replaces the 5.0 V8 completely in Mustang GT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I love the torquey nature of the twin turbo V6s, I am now smitten with the high revving Coyote.   Personally, I think the high torque low revving turbo engines are great in heavy vehicles like trucks and utility vehicles but something about the Mustang calls for screaming RPM.    Since the Mustang is somewhat traction limited, I have no use for more low end torque.   Also, with the 10 speed, it is very easy to get into the meat of the power band very quickly and stay there if so inclined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brucelinc said:

Since the Mustang is somewhat traction limited, I have no use for more low end torque.   Also, with the 10 speed, it is very easy to get into the meat of the power band very quickly and stay there if so inclined.

Mine breaks the rear tires loose when it hits 4000 rpm in first gear. I have the 235's on it. I really don't want to step up in width because of rain traction (VA is turning into a tropical climate in the last year). I think the hit from a turbo in low gear could cause issues. It might be different in a IRS car though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×