Ford F-Series grows truck dominance 2019 Ram 1500, Chevy Silverado brawl for No. 2

https://amp.freep.com/amp/3352053002?fbclid=IwAR2fGNT9xtpMtqifGI98UW1G2Xl3s5LwCYZprxwtliThibTSbPcycCvO3SM

Found this interesting:

"I’m able to drive any vehicle in the dealership and I choose the F-150 every time,” Baidoun said. “People will say they don’t want to come out of the Ram Hemi engine. I tell ‘em to just go drive that 2.7 liter V6 Ecoboost engine and I’ve never lost a customer wanting power."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Anthony said:

Ever think you'd be hearing about RAM being number 2?

With the last few updates of the Chevy yes, it was only a matter of time. GM has phoned it in with every truck after GMT800. That was the last really innovative GM truck that pushed the market forward. From the 900 on they have been just focused about making their trucks for current GM buyers.

26 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

With U.S. Ranger production now ramped up, Ford may take the overall pickup truck sales lead away from GM in 2019.

At the rate Ram is taking sales from GM, Ford may not even need the Ranger to do it.  It's really pretty impressive that Ford sells as many trucks from two models (F150/Super Duty) as GM does with 6 (Silverado/HD; Sierra/HD; Colorado/Canyon).  Just wait until the Ranger and Courier (or whatever they call it) are 100% ramped up.

41 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

With U.S. Ranger production now ramped up, Ford may take the overall pickup truck sales lead away from GM in 2019.

There's still too many hiccups for me to feel comfortable saying production is ramped up. Yes, Final is moving at full speed but there's still stoppages to fix snags. Same with Body shop. 

• Like 2

Ram is indeed doing very well, but Chevy has only rolled out one version on the new Silverado so far.  There are many holes in Chevy's full size truck lineup right now, even on the HD side.  We won't know anything for sure sales wise until first quarter 2020.     

6 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Ram is indeed doing very well, but Chevy has only rolled out one version on the new Silverado so far.  There are many holes in Chevy's full size truck lineup right now, even on the HD side.  We won't know anything for sure sales wise until first quarter 2020.     

Ahhh yes indeed, thats when 3 months of the new and improved 2020 Superduty sales will be published.

Well I have to say that I have yet to see a new Ranger on the road.  I keep an eye on a couple of dealerships and if anything they seem to be building inventory.  I was expecting the so called "pent up demand" to result in these things moving very well but based on my local observations, doesn't seem to be the case. 

Then again the TV spots have only been showing up here in Mass for the last couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well I have to say that I have yet to see a new Ranger on the road.  I keep an eye on a couple of dealerships and if anything they seem to be building inventory.  I was expecting the so called "pent up demand" to result in these things moving very well but based on my local observations, doesn't seem to be the case.

Maybe the Rangers in your neck of the woods are off-roading. ?

U.S. Ranger sales in Q1 2019 were about 9,500. That helped Ford register a 4% increase in truck sales this quarter versus Q1 2018. Ford should be on track to sell at least 15,000 Rangers in Q2.

10 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well I have to say that I have yet to see a new Ranger on the road.

I just saw my first new Chevy Silverado on the road two days ago.  Overall, the truck looked pretty good.  The front end, however, was a swing and a miss.  One other point, I almost didn’t notice it.  It doesn’t really stand out.  I do see a lot of the new Rams though. 

32 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

I just saw my first new Chevy Silverado on the road two days ago.  Overall, the truck looked pretty good.  The front end, however, was a swing and a miss.  One other point, I almost didn’t notice it.  It doesn’t really stand out.  I do see a lot of the new Rams though. 

I agree. I’ve seen two silverados out and the front is just off. Rest of the the truck looks like a Chevy. Like you, I’ve seen several rams, which look pretty good. Something I’m seeing more and more of are raptors. They are all over. Wish I could get one, but too much money for me. My 13 fx4 is paid for with only 58k miles. So I’ll ride it for a while. 

On 4/6/2019 at 9:22 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Then again the TV spots have only been showing up here in Mass for the last couple of weeks.

I've seen 4-5 in the last week or so.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:19 PM, Anthony said:

Ever think you'd be hearing about RAM being number 2?

With the 2014 redesign of the Sierrado, Ram came very close to overtaking Chebbie, and I think they may even have done it for a month or two that year. Those things were selling like poop sandwiches when GM was trying to sell them without dumping piles of cash on the hood.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, Bob Rosadini said:

You're on the mark Bob, I can confirm 1 April inventory was 18,100, won't be long and they will be showing up everywhere.

This echoes what I have mentioned for years, GM focuses it's Silverado commercials against the F-150, and that's not really their biggest threat, it's the Ram. F-series buyers are very loyal, but Silverado ones I have seen fluctuate between that and the Ram. Granted, almost every Ram owner I know will never buy another one again because they can't design a transmission for the life of them, BUT the Ram is snipping at their heels, and they are designing to lead, not to catch up like GM has...

13 minutes ago, Anthony said:

For the first couple months, you would be hard pressed to find a Ranger under $38k.  Once the lower priced (not decked out versions) start coming in, you should see an increase.

Just checking inventory at a few dealers around me it's pretty much all loaded XLT and Lariats. Not many XL or base XLT.

1 hour ago, ANTAUS said:

Granted, almost every Ram owner I know will never buy another one again because they can't design a transmission for the life of them

The Ram owners you know are not representative. Ram 1500 has the highest owner loyalty in the full size LD (half ton) pickup segment. https://santanderconsumerusa.com/blog/customer-loyalty-the-car-brands-models-that-have-it-factor

FCA doesn't design transmissions currently for Ram 1500. It uses ZF 8HP. 

Still haven't seen a Ranger in NJ nor has a friend of mine-and he drives past one of the largest dealerships in the state daily. 

I do see alot more Rams then I do see new Silverados-I saw my first one a week or two ago-I saw it from the rear and it looks really frumpy/bumpy looking. The Ram looks nice, but its given up some of its distinctness that it had.  

12 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Just checking inventory at a few dealers around me it's pretty much all loaded XLT and Lariats. Not many XL or base XLT.

Yup, and until more mid-optioned trucks are available (the meat of the market), the sales numbers wont be super impressive.  I think the sweet spot for this truck will be mid-30's.  Mine MSRP'ed over $40k and it is not even a Lariat, (is a loaded XLT).

39 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Yup, and until more mid-optioned trucks are available (the meat of the market), the sales numbers wont be super impressive.  I think the sweet spot for this truck will be mid-30's.  Mine MSRP'ed over $40k and it is not even a Lariat, (is a loaded XLT).

A quick check of dealers near me (20 miles), using $36K as the limit, shows 12.  10 XL's, 2 XLT's, only 1 SuperCab. 10 of them are 4x4's.

HRG

Ranger $36K availability.JPG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

13 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

This echoes what I have mentioned for years, GM focuses it's Silverado commercials against the F-150, and that's not really their biggest threat, it's the Ram. F-series buyers are very loyal, but Silverado ones I have seen fluctuate between that and the Ram. Granted, almost every Ram owner I know will never buy another one again because they can't design a transmission for the life of them, BUT the Ram is snipping at their heels, and they are designing to lead, not to catch up like GM has...

I ought to put together a chart for the full size truck market.