New Ford Puma

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

Yeah, but I was thinking of an added model of Fiesta to augment the one in Europe and replace the one here.

Eh, it's unrelated to Fiesta, which still exists, and Fiesta isn't a strong enough name, IMO, to warrant it being a "brand" itself.

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Eh, it's unrelated to Fiesta, which still exists, and Fiesta isn't a strong enough name, IMO, to warrant it being a "brand" itself.

It just seems like it would be the same thing as naming a new small CUV the Ford Probe or EXP over here. Puma doesn't fit and there were better legacy names to use. This seems like the moment when Mercury was going to name their version of the Generation 3 Focus in 2012 "Tracer" while leaving Comet or Meteor in the dust bin.

6 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

It just seems like it would be the same thing as naming a new small CUV the Ford Probe or EXP over here. Puma doesn't fit and there were better legacy names to use. This seems like the moment when Mercury was going to name their version of the Generation 3 Focus in 2012 "Tracer" while leaving Comet or Meteor in the dust bin.

Ford's biggest markets there are Western Europe with UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain.  I suspect the name,  Ford Puma rolls of the tongue well across multiple languages.

Just on Active branding, I think it's hilarious that Ford puts plastic arches on Fiesta/Focus, utility wheels and raises the ride height 18mm/30mm respectively and calls them CUVs and charges lots more $$. The cynic in me thinks this is how Fusion will come back to us with a 5-door Mondeo hatchback body completing the facade.

Edited by jpd80