New Ford Puma

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puma will *probably* replace the EcoSport in the US market... no reason not to. It is a lot more on point with what US buyers are looking for.

It depends on if Ford has any plans to build it in Mexico.

Cuatitlan is supposed to build MACH E but I think there is still plenty of capacity left for Puma.

Hermosillo is supposed to build Transit Connect and related pickup truck and possibly Baby Bronco.

Edited by bzcat

50 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Puma will *probably* replace the EcoSport in the US market... no reason not to. It is a lot more on point with what US buyers are looking for.

It depends on if Ford has any plans to build it in Mexico.

Cuatitlan is supposed to build MACH E but I think there is still plenty of capacity left for Puma.

Hermosillo is supposed to build Transit Connect and related pickup truck and possibly Baby Bronco.

I think Cuatitlan is going to build the Mach E and Baby Bronco.

The Fiesta goes out of production next Month-I don't think Ford is going to let that plant not produce anything for nearly 9 months-I would expect the Mach E to launch late 2019 for a Spring 2020 release, then the Baby Bronco goes into production late spring/early summer next year-Ford stated it should hit the market 3-4 months before the BOF Bronco, which is supposed to be a late 2020 release (late Fall/Winter 2020)

The Fusion and MKZ don't go out of production til 2020, which would dovetail with the next gen TC and Pickup.

Then again Ford could build the Baby Bronco at Louisville with the Escape/Corsair?!

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I think Cuatitlan is going to build the Mach E and Baby Bronco.

The Fiesta goes out of production next Month-I don't think Ford is going to let that plant not produce anything for nearly 9 months-I would expect the Mach E to launch late 2019 for a Spring 2020 release, then the Baby Bronco goes into production late spring/early summer next year-Ford stated it should hit the market 3-4 months before the BOF Bronco, which is supposed to be a late 2020 release (late Fall/Winter 2020)

The Fusion and MKZ don't go out of production til 2020, which would dovetail with the next gen TC and Pickup.

Then again Ford could build the Baby Bronco at Louisville with the Escape/Corsair?!

Not enough room at Louisville.

Ford would be smart to offer both the EcoSport and the Puma in the US however. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The moment US managers heard that Puma was a possibility, they started pushing hard for Ford Nth America to get it. The Ecosport is "OK" but Ford has a desire to have both chunky and softer styled utilities as well as the Lincolns - Ecosport/Puma, Escape/Baby Bronco/Corsair, Edge/Bronco/Nautilus.

Mach E will be made at Cuautitlan suggesting that the plant will remain a subcompact manufacturing point while Baby Bronco, Transit Connect and companion Pick Up will be built over at Hermosillo. So more product is neede to bolster manufacturing at Cuautitlanand Ecosport/Puma as near brothers could be just the ticket.

Edited by jpd80

36 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The moment US managers heard that Puma was a possibility, they started pushing hard for Ford Nth America to get it. The Ecosport is "OK" but Ford has a desire to have both chunky and softer styled utilities as well as the Lincolns - Ecosport/Puma, Escape/Baby Bronco/Corsair, Edge/Bronco/Nautilus.

Mach E will be made at Cuautitlan suggesting that the plant will remain a subcompact manufacturing point while Baby Bronco, Transit Connect and companion Pick Up will be built over at Hermosillo. So more product is neede to bolster manufacturing at Cuautitlanand Ecosport/Puma as near brothers could be just the ticket.

I agree that Cuautitlan could replace the Fiesta production for the Puma since the platforms are all B-based, so investments should be low.

The same goes for Camaçari/Brazil. That plant could "easily" make Puma alongside Ecosport and Ka, in my opinion - similarly to Craiova.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, passis said:

I agree that Cuautitlan could replace the Fiesta production for the Puma since the platforms are all B-based, so investments should be low.

The same goes for Camaçari/Brazil. That plant could "easily" make Puma alongside Ecosport and Ka, in my opinion - similarly to Craiova.

Heck, even Figo down the line for local Mexico/Central American supply to compete with GM sales there.

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

That’s for sure! I doubt the four models you mentioned will meet production capacity at one plant, much less two. 

7 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

That’s for sure! I doubt the four models you mentioned will meet production capacity at one plant, much less two. 

I'm hoping Hermosillo and Cuautitlan become true flex plants, capable of mixing and varying models produced, Ford needs that kind of flexibility to follow market trends more quickly than traditional single purpose plants

• Like 1