Next-gen Mustang info (rumor)

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/next-ford-mustang-details-on-sale-info/

A heavily revised D2C for '23MY followed by all new S650 for '26 or '28/'29MY..........hmm, not sure what to make of that!

One source says the CD6 Mustang, which goes by the codename S650, appears to be delayed at least to the 2026 model year, while another source guesses 2028 or 2029, either of which makes it less of a product plan than a promise to keep building the icon. In the interim, the S550 Mustang will receive a major mid-cycle facelift to update its current D2C platform and reskin it with new sheetmetal from nose to tail, which will require some underbody work. It’s the mid-cycle D2C update that will spawn a Mustang hybrid, although that car is said to be delayed slightly from the 2021 model year to early in calendar-year 2022.

Sure this isn't an April Fools thing?

But for the hybrid mustang - early 2022 is 3 years out!  Holy Bronco Batman!

Given the GT500 is just coming out in summertime (or next few months) its only about 18-20 months away-but I have this feeling we will see something sooner then that. 

For the most part, folks knew CD6 Mustang got pushed back hard. I believe this was a Hackett decision. In all honesty, I am really surprised they are trying for a non CD6-hybrid on a platform that wasn't designed for it. I mean they already let the cat out of the bag that it's coming but I wonder if it will come out comprised. We know CD6 was designed for that in mind.

12 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That was my thought too, but usually by the end of those April fools types of articles it's painfully obvious by the time you get to the end. I didn't get that impression here. 

I was thinking that too after I posted. The ultimate troll job would to unveil the hybrid Mustang at EOB today.

1 hour ago, llinthicum1 said:

Attached article said that next mustang will be considerably bigger (at least a 9 inch increase in length).  That would be bad mistake.  Although Mustang needs to shed some weight,  current dimensions are almost perfect.  

That would make it almost as long as the 2020 Explorer...that isn't going to happen.

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1

Let's just hope they keep building it.  With pressure from stock holders to build only high margin or electrified vehicles someone might get stupid ideas.  Looks like the future if the Camaro is questionable and who knows if the Challenger will soldier on long enough to see a true redesign.  I just hope the Mustang stays available and somewhat fresh / up to date.  

Sure the high priced models are amazing but the Ecoboost and lower priced GT are where Ford is killing Camaro and Challenger.  That is what keeps Mustang alive.  It's the perfect compromise between Camaros performance and Challengers livability in the lower trim levels.  

Keep it reasonably priced modern fun!