Jeep gladiator starts at $35k

T-dubz

23 hours ago, akirby said:

That is absolutely ridiculous.  This is nothing more than a huge cash rebate/lease subsidy based on an unrealistic residual value.

Residual is wholesale so by the time you mark it up you’re looking at the same price new or used and that ain’t happening.

I could believe 65%-70% of actual selling price.  One thing’s for sure - at those prices they’ll be flying off the lots.

The Wrangler is the champ for retaining its resale vaule

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/g16345197/cars-with-slow-depreciation-that-hold-value/?slide=1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The only way that makes any sense is that most used jeeps have a lot of aftermarket parts and mods.  No way someone would pay that much for a 5 yr old stock wrangler.  It’s not like new ones are scarce.

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

The only way that makes any sense is that most used jeeps have a lot of aftermarket parts and mods.  No way someone would pay that much for a 5 yr old stock wrangler.  It’s not like new ones are scarce.

Check this out-slightly beat up 15 year old Stock Wrangler for almost 12K

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/770894332/overview/

Obviously there is a demand for them...

• Angry 1

It goes to show how finicky the market is. Other than off road capabilities when modified, they win nothing on paper. Drive like crap, leak water. Crappy interior. But sell like crazy and have a following of which I don’t get. This is what GM can’t figure out. Winning on paper doesn’t mean it will sell. 

Edited by fordtech1
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, fordtech1 said:

It goes to show how finicky the market is. Other than off road capabilities when modified, they win nothing on paper. Drive like crap, leak water. Crappy interior. But sell like crazy and have a following of which I don’t get. This is what GM can’t figure out. Winning on paper doesn’t mean it will sell. 

You bring up a good point-I know I heard my father in law talking about this a few times in the past-there is a market for an inexpensive/basic truck/SUV that a decent part of the market wants-but the real question is how can auto makers make money off it? 

With rising ATPs and car notes going into 6-7 years long at say $500 before insurance/gas, you have to wonder where the breaking point is-and why all in one leases from some luxury makers are now making sense.  

On 4/28/2019 at 8:07 AM, akirby said:

Kind of odd to say "no way that could happen' to something that is actually happening...

My neighbor sold an older stock Wrangler in at best 'fair' condition with the really weak 4cyl engine - got $8000 for it.

When you're cool, things don't have to be rational.

53 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

With rising ATPs and car notes going into 6-7 years long at say $500 before insurance/gas, you have to wonder where the breaking point is-and why all in one leases from some luxury makers are now making sense.  

I think;  this is pretty much the breaking point.  Buyers will never pay these vehicles off.  They will need major repairs while they are still years away from actually owning them.  And, like everything else, something other than Jeep will be the 'cool kid'  in the next few years and the bubble bursts. Or the kiddos come along and goodbye toys!

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Kind of odd to say "no way that could happen' to something that is actually happening...

My neighbor sold an older stock Wrangler in at best 'fair' condition with the really weak 4cyl engine - got $8000 for it.

A brand new Wrangler unlimited sport 4x4 is $35K.   5 yr old used ones are retailing for $21K which is about $18K wholesale.  That’s a difference of $17K not $8K over 5 years.

They do hold their value better than most other vehicles but not that much.