Explorer PHEV?

20 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Anyone know how going into electric mode works? Push a button or is it automatically on until you have no juice. I’ve only driven regular hybrids so not sure how that will work.

You select EV only mode.   The other modes are (I think) max performance where it uses the battery in conjunction with the ICE and max range where it switches back and forth to maximize range.

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Actually he’s right about that.  You can drive in electric only mode for up to 25-30 miles and that’s one of the main benefits of a PHEV over a regular hybrid.  That’s why I might consider one.

But he thinks the electric motor alone is insufficient for balls to the wall performance in EV mode and should provide Tesla like performance.  Which completely ignores the 400 hp ICE if you really want to go fast.

If the European PHEV Explorer is the same powertrain as the Aviator GT then you won't have a 400 hp ICE.  The EU Explorer was announced to have a 350 Hp 3.0L V6 with a 100 Hp (75 kW) EM, with a combined maximum torque of 620 lbft.  With a small battery pack, you won't have full use of all of that horsepower and torque, which is probably why the tow rating is only 5600 lbs vs 6700 lbs on the normal Aviator.  If it was just based on weight, the GT should have been rated at 5900 lbs.  Conceivably, with more torque and power, it should have had a higher tow rating.  I don't understand why they would derate the ICE engine at all, when it is much easier to current limit the EM to control total power and torque output.  The battery issue is another thing.  Seems like a bad move to not put a large enough battery in to qualify for the full tax credit and to put one in that is smaller than the new Escape PHEV's battery.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

If the European PHEV Explorer is the same powertrain as the Aviator GT then you won't have a 400 hp ICE.  The EU Explorer was announced to have a 350 Hp 3.0L V6 with a 100 Hp (75 kW) EM, with a combined maximum torque of 620 lbft.  With a small battery pack, you won't have full use of all of that horsepower and torque, which is probably why the tow rating is only 5600 lbs vs 6700 lbs on the normal Aviator.  If it was just based on weight, the GT should have been rated at 5900 lbs.  Conceivably, with more torque and power, it should have had a higher tow rating.  I don't understand why they would derate the ICE engine at all, when it is much easier to current limit the EM to control total power and torque output.  The battery issue is another thing.  Seems like a bad move to not put a large enough battery in to qualify for the full tax credit and to put one in that is smaller than the new Escape PHEV's battery.

We don't know the US specs yet. 

Just now, akirby said:

We don't know the US specs yet. 

Yes, we don't know. It's great we can speculate a bit knowing a few tidbits about the EU model but let's not jump to conclusions to the final specs get released for US. I am going to reserve judgement on both Explorer and Escape hybrids till I can get behind the wheel of them.  Let's not overreact with out knowing the facts.

1 minute ago, jcartwright99 said:

Yes, we don't know. It's great we can speculate a bit knowing a few tidbits about the EU model but let's not jump to conclusions to the final specs get released for US. I am going to reserve judgement on both Explorer and Escape hybrids till I can get behind the wheel of them.  Let's not overreact with out knowing the facts.

Well I forgot that we aren't getting the HiPo Explorer hybrid - just the 3.3L regular hybrid.  So this question is really about the Aviator GT not Explorer.

36 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I agree about reserving judgment but given the similarity in hp/torque numbers about the Explorer PHEV and the Aviator GT it is a concern about the potential Aviator numbers.  It appears Ford now has a 3.0 with 350 hp 365 hp and 400 hp.  Not sure what the differences are between the motors. Currently have an Explorer with 365 hp and am happy with that.  Would love for the GT to have the 365 hp ICE and a 150 hp EM to net the 450 they have been advertising.  Apparently a 13.1 kWh battery would leave @$1700 on the table for the federal tax credit.  At $200/kWh Ford could easily put a 17kWh + battery in there for an additional $800.  Buyer gets the full tax credit so the car actually costs them less and should get over 50km electric range.