Explorer PHEV?

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I would seriously consider a PHEV Explorer instead of the more expensive (but gorgeous) Aviator.

Issue is once you add all the PHEV to the 3.0TT you're almost at the same price point.

The other option is to make a PHEV with the 3.3L engine at the Platinum level. Would distance itself in performance from the Aviator, while allowing better mileage. Be very well received in the California and PacWest Markets, Gas is already over 3.60 a gallon in CA and over 3.30 in the PacWest. 

Edited by jasonj80

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I would seriously consider a PHEV Explorer instead of the more expensive (but gorgeous) Aviator.

Ditto.  Aviator is out of our price range, but a PHEV 3.3L Explorer may be a decent fit.

Or possibly a PHEV Edge.  May need to add a few more solar panels...

53 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Issue is once you add all the PHEV to the 3.0TT you're almost at the same price point.

The other option is to make a PHEV with the 3.3L engine at the Platinum level. Would distance itself in performance from the Aviator, while allowing better mileage. Be very well received in the California and PacWest Markets, Gas is already over 3.60 a gallon in CA and over 3.30 in the PacWest. 

Yes, doesn't have to be the 3.0TT - I'd be going for mpg vs performance so the 3.3L would probably be fine.  But to be a great value it would need to be on the XLT trim.  Once you get into limited and platinum you're getting close to Aviator pricing anyway.

I'm not saying Ford should do this or would do this, just that this would be my personal preference.

3 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Ditto.  Aviator is out of our price range, but a PHEV 3.3L Explorer may be a decent fit.

Edge might be too small for you.   Going from the F150 to the MKX feels like I'm driving a go cart now.   Even compared to my old Fusion it's a little tight.

Then again I'm also a little bit larger. 

18 minutes ago, akirby said:

Yes, doesn't have to be the 3.0TT - I'd be going for mpg vs performance so the 3.3L would probably be fine.  But to be a great value it would need to be on the XLT trim.  Once you get into limited and platinum you're getting close to Aviator pricing anyway.

I'm not saying Ford should do this or would do this, just that this would be my personal preference.

akirby,

I'm surprised to read this from you. I would have expected you to want a 1.5/2.0/2.3EB, rather than the 3.3NA V6.

HRG

2 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

akirby,

I'm surprised to read this from you. I would have expected you to want a 1.5/2.0/2.3EB, rather than the 3.3NA V6.

HRG

I would prefer the 2.3EB but Ford isn't using any EB engines as hybrids except the 3.0TT.

Also with the PHEV I'd be running on EV mode most of the time so acceleration from the 3.3L isn't as big of a deal as it would be in a regular 3.3L.

Edited by akirby

36 minutes ago, akirby said:

Edge might be too small for you.   Going from the F150 to the MKX feels like I'm driving a go cart now.   Even compared to my old Fusion it's a little tight.

Then again I'm also a little bit larger. 

Well, I'm not getting rid of my truck!  :)

It would mostly be the wife's ride, and she wants something smaller next since the kids don't have booster seats anymore, but I would occasionally take it to work if it is a PHEV.  I've changed jobs (working full-time for a former client of mine), and I have a 55 mile commute (each way) when I go into the office a couple days a week.  Being a utility company, they have chargers for EVs, so I could plug in and spend almost nothing for gas when I do take it.  I've thought of getting a Fusion Energi, but I don't think I can go that small when I'm used to driving my truck.

11 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

It would mostly be the wife's ride, and she wants something smaller next since the kids don't have booster seats anymore, but I would occasionally take it to work if it is a PHEV.  I've changed jobs (working full-time for a former client of mine), and I have a 55 mile commute (each way) when I go into the office a couple days a week.  Being a utility company, they have chargers for EVs, so I could plug in and spend almost nothing for gas when I do take it.  I've thought of getting a Fusion Energi, but I don't think I can go that small when I'm used to driving my truck.

If you don't drive it a lot it's probably fine.   We take my truck about 75% of the time anyway.

55 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Ditto on the solar panels.  Currently have 35 looking to adding 4 more (all the room I have) for my future Aviator.  I told my wife her next car would be a PHEV and the Aviator is one of the few that fit the bill.  It is pricey but I expect to get the fuel $7500 fed tax credit and $2500 from the state of California.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

If you don't drive it a lot it's probably fine.   We take my truck about 75% of the time anyway.

We normally take the truck too if we go anywhere as a family.  We still use the Flex for short trips, but further than that, it's in the truck.

1 hour ago, msm859 said:

Ditto on the solar panels.  Currently have 35 looking to adding 4 more (all the room I have) for my future Aviator.  I told my wife her next car would be a PHEV and the Aviator is one of the few that fit the bill.  It is pricey but I expect to get the fuel $7500 fed tax credit and $2500 from the state of California.

We've got 36 right now, and that's all that will fit on my shed.  If I add more, they will have to go on the ground, but I've got a place I can hide them and have them out of the way.

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Must be nice to live somewhere that encourages that. 

Well, they really don't, I just made the decision to bite the bullet and do it.  All I really get is a net metering contract (where I buy power at $0.08/kWh and sell excess at $0.025, net per month), and the federal tax credit.  My electric company is a co-op, so no rebates from them.

3.3 PHEV is interesting proposition but Ford probably wanted to keep engineering costs in check.

If F-150 PHEV end up using 3.3 V6, then I think the package will appear in Explorer. However, if F-150 PHEV end up with 5.0 V8, it obviously won't make it to Explorer (but it will end up in Mustang)

18 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Well, they really don't, I just made the decision to bite the bullet and do it.  All I really get is a net metering contract (where I buy power at $0.08/kWh and sell excess at $0.025, net per month), and the federal tax credit.  My electric company is a co-op, so no rebates from them.

Around here we get taxed for rainwater so somehow if I were to ever install solar panels I would probably end up losing my ass in the deal. Not worth it. 

3 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

It’s a bit smaller, but if you can manage a Focus it’s a good deal on a BEV. You can find 1-2 year old ones for under $10k. Then you pay zero for gas. 

20 minutes ago, blazerdude20 said:

It’s a bit smaller, but if you can manage a Focus it’s a good deal on a BEV. You can find 1-2 year old ones for under $10k. Then you pay zero for gas. 

Sorry, Focus is way too small for me.  Our Milan is pushing it...I can't wear a hat in it without it hitting the ceiling, and I'm not that tall (5'-10").

4 hours ago, akirby said:

My impression is that Ford plan to charge out the wazoo for these vehicles that are equipped as PIH, keeping the option available only at the highest trims. Perhaps after a few years they will migrate availability to lower trims, but apparently not at the outset. 

I wouldn’t count on that. ?

it looks like Ford is deliberately limiting HEV to PIU and PHEV to too trim Aviator for at least the first twelve months, there may be some exceptions but Ford is probably set on build out of inventory and dealer stock for the rest of the year.