2020 Kuga/Escape to be shown off April 2nd 10:15AM EST-Possible Puma unveiling also

As for the softer look, it seems to have a upscale Audi Porsche sense to it.  I think it will do well with people looking for a more sophisticated styling.  The more rugged look of the elusive maverick will appeal to those who like a more old school SUV design that the gen 1 escape personified. 

36 minutes ago, RadicalX said:

Escape reminded me of the happy front of the Honda S2000 and the MX-5 so I liked it. The headlights are quite reminiscent of the S2000 too. Looks like the happy front of the Peugeot 206 and 307

I’m the exact opposite. I can’t take a car seriously that always looks like it’s smiling at me lol.

2 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

When and where was the Puma revealed? Don't think I saw that this morning in Amsterdam.

Otherwise, I actually like the new Escape and know it will be a hit, especially the two hybrid options.

It didn't happen-it was the PHEV Explorer being shown off. 

• Like 1

This image is from the Ford Spain Twitter account. Is a mistake? Maybe Ford planned to show the Puma in the Go futher event, but for something thay canceled it and the CM of the account didnt received the advise.  If not, why to show in twitter a car one day after de event?

Whatever, the Puma is ready. But what is the Puma? An EcoSport replacement? A new B- segment crossover to fill the C-Max space?

We will know it soon...image1.thumb.jpeg.e71a0b655437a010438f0fe7b6c9ce10.jpeg

4 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

Whatever, the Puma is ready. But what is the Puma? An EcoSport replacement? A new B- segment crossover to fill the C-Max space?

We will know it soon...

Its going to be the "high end" B segment product, where as the Ecosport will be the low end cheap model. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I’m curious about this as well. Toyota picked a side and went masculine with the rav4. Sales of that might be a good indicator. This escape looks the most feminine of all the compact suvs (crv, rav4, cx5, Tucson, rogue, equinox, etc). 

I am a few years out on buying a new car but the escape, maverick, next gen ranger, and bronco were all on my short list. I really like the technology and interior of the escape, but it’s off the list do to its exterior. If the maverick has the same sliding back seat and some of the tech from the escape, it’s probably my next vehicle.

Well, Toyota also won't have another model, so they picked a side.  Ford is trying to play in both ends - the feminine softer look with Escape, and the more macho, masculine look with Maverick.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, akirby said:

The front end is kinda Meh but the rest is really nice and should appeal to a much wider audience especially with the increased interior room and seating/cargo flexibility and hybrid.

They may have to add that shift back to Louisville with the hybrids and the (hopefully even better) executed Corsair coming.

It’s a huge improvement over the current model. Whether or not there will be a need for the third shift will depend on pricing. Hopefully Ford isn’t into price gorging with the new model. Fuel economy will also be key - the current model isn’t even in the same league as RAV 4 CRV and Equinox. 

Can we get the Chinese one here? That one looks much better. That grille really changes the appearance of the entire car. The fog lights also give it a more upscale look. It makes the new US escape look old and cheap already.rleyedhbvi53_800.jpgtednecbifq10ogcyqmp5.jpg

• Like 1

The Chinese version is being renamed "Escpae" because it will slot in above the existing "Kuga". Ford will sell both side by side in China.

And I agree... the Chinese version is much more upscale looking. Ford should be selling that in the US instead.

45 minutes ago, bzcat said:

The Chinese version is being renamed "Escpae" because it will slot in above the existing "Kuga". Ford will sell both side by side in China.

And I agree... the Chinese version is much more upscale looking. Ford should be selling that in the US instead.

That’s interesting, but given the Escapes position in the US and the current model not making money-I don’t think a fancier facia is going to give it higher ATPs-plus with the baby Bronco and Corsair, it’s really not needed. 

Having a soft spot for the Focus and not wanting it to be discontinued here I like this Escape.  The original Escapes were like small SUV's and that was good.   The current Focus sort of looked like a compromise, and not something a Focus buyer would want.    This Focus based Escape seems to be a good example of a White Space Vehicle.   Will have to see it in person but it in the pictures it looks agile which is a good thing. 

43 minutes ago, Fordowner said:

Having a soft spot for the Focus and not wanting it to be discontinued here I like this Escape.  The original Escapes were like small SUV's and that was good.   The current Focus sort of looked like a compromise, and not something a Focus buyer would want.    This Focus based Escape seems to be a good example of a White Space Vehicle.   Will have to see it in person but it in the pictures it looks agile which is a good thing. 

I actually really like the new focus hatch and thought it would do well here. Fords design language works pretty well on it. The proportions on the escape are all wrong though. The grill is too small and too low. I think that’s why I like the Chinese version so much more. They fixed all the issues with the grill and it looks more like an suv now. 

The current escape has been selling well even though it’s older than dirt. I even own one. Yes it needed to be redesigned but stick with what works. No one was asking for the escape to be more car like. While most of the reviews I’ve seen have leaned to the positive side, quite a few of those add the caveat “it’s not my cup of tea, but I’m sure other people will like it.” Let’s hope those other people do like it enough to buy it.

As for white space vehicles, this is definitely not what I was hoping for. I was thinking it would be making cars more like SUVs (think Volvo cross country, bmw x4/x6, Mercedes gle/Glc), not turning suvs into cars.

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Escpae seems more like the name of the Chinese knock off ;)

while I prefer the Chinese front end it does look very Hyundai. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I actually really like the new focus hatch and thought it would do well here. Fords design language works pretty well on it. The proportions on the escape are all wrong though. The grill is too small and too low. I think that’s why I like the Chinese version so much more. They fixed all the issues with the grill and it looks more like an suv now. 

The current escape has been selling well even though it’s older than dirt. I even own one. Yes it needed to be redesigned but stick with what works. No one was asking for the escape to be more car like. While most of the reviews I’ve seen have leaned to the positive side, quite a few of those add the caveat “it’s not my cup of tea, but I’m sure other people will like it.” Let’s hope those other people do like it enough to buy it.

As for white space vehicles, this is definitely not what I was hoping for. I was thinking it would be making cars more like SUVs (think Volvo cross country, bmw x4/x6, Mercedes gle/Glc), not turning suvs into cars.

You're only looking at one prong of the approach, though.  The Escape becomes more car-like.  Maverick will fill in the "macho" more SUV like void Escape vacates.  Ditto for the coming Edge and Bronco.

The Mach E will be the X4/X6, etc. type model.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

You're only looking at one prong of the approach, though.  The Escape becomes more car-like.  Maverick will fill in the "macho" more SUV like void Escape vacates.  Ditto for the coming Edge and Bronco.

Looking at the Escape it's clear why they killed Focus hatchback here. 

18 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Eh, while NG Edge looks great, I wouldn't call it macho. That's what the Bronco is for.