Aviator is smaller than the current explorer

Wheeling

There is something wired about the 2020 Aviator's size. It is bigger on the outside than the current Ford Explorer, but significantly smaller on the interior dimensions., particularly the third row leg room and total volume. Where does the space go? Maybe the seats are larger and the sheet metals and insulation are thicker?  Wondering what the dimension of the new Explorer will be. 

Ford Explorer (2019)                                                 

Lincoln Aviator (2020 )

Wheel base

length

height

Width (w/o mirror)

Leg rm (1st)

Leg rm (2nd)

Leg rm (3rd)

Head rm (1st)

Head rm (2nd)

Head rm (3rd))

Shoulder rm (1st)

Shoulder rm (2nd)

Shoulder rm (3rd)

Passenger volume

Cargo behind 3rd row

Cargo behind 2nd row

Cargo behind 1st row

Curb weight

Is this because that the Aviator is rwd and the engine has to be parallel rather than transverse like in a fwd car so the engine compartment is longer and the passenger compartment is smaller ? Wondering what are the dimensions of the 2020 Explorer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 4:47 PM, Wheeling said:

Is this because that the Aviator is rwd and the engine has to be parallel rather than transverse like in a fwd car so the engine compartment is longer and the passenger compartment is smaller ? Wondering what are the dimensions of the 2020 Explorer. 

From what I saw the other day, the engine parallel saves room under the engine because the trans/and unit doesn't have to be under the hood, it is under the floor pan.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Wheeling said:

Saw the Aviator in person today in Auto Show, can't get in though. Overall impression is relatively smaller than I expected. The roof really sloped back a lot. But it is really a beauty!

What, no pics?!

3 hours ago, tbone said:

What, no pics?!

LOL.  I flew down to he LA auto show for the reveal and didn't even take any pictures of the Aviator - they too would not let you inside - was roped off.  My wife did get inside the Navigator though and she loved the interior.