Mustang Order

KenC

I am a diehard Ford blue blood for 40yrs.  I currently have 3 Fords and one almost Ford (Cobra replica).  In Oct I sold my 2013 Mustang GT and then went to dealer to buy new one.  None available like i wanted in area, so I ordered one, 11/1/19.  Was told 8-10 weeks.  No problem, so i ordered the car.  In about 6 weeks i received an acceptance of the order, a VIN and a "schedule to date" of 17 Feb 19.   I was told to track the order using the Customer Order Tracking System website.  Well the dates have come and gone and no explanation until today which had a generic statement about suppliers.  The dealer has not been able to get any update on delivery either, only that car was in production.  I know about the issue with Magna Ride and steering wheels.  My issue is that no one can tell my dealer (therefore me) the exact status of my car.  Its like manufacturing and sales are not connected.  I know 8,000 cars without steering wheels is hard to get resheduled, but to not be able to get an estimated delivery date now is hard to believe.  Would be nice to have a date! The bigger problem is that it will be over 5 months to get me a Mustang.  The dealership (owns about 6) appears to have had allocation and he's big enough that he owns a new Ford GT. I know Ford is reducing car sales, but Mustang is a premiere model and to have to wait 5-6 months is ridiculous.  If it was a GT350 or 500 or GT, maybe, but a Mustang GT!!!!  OBTW once it's built, i'm told it could be 2-3 weeks to get delivered.  I already have my trailer hooked up to my F150 and can be there in 8 hours to pick it up ?

3 hours ago, KenC said:

I am a diehard Ford blue blood for 40yrs.  I currently have 3 Fords and one almost Ford (Cobra replica).  In Oct I sold my 2013 Mustang GT and then went to dealer to buy new one.  None available like i wanted in area, so I ordered one, 11/1/19.  Was told 8-10 weeks.  No problem, so i ordered the car.  In about 6 weeks i received an acceptance of the order, a VIN and a "schedule to date" of 17 Feb 19.   I was told to track the order using the Customer Order Tracking System website.  Well the dates have come and gone and no explanation until today which had a generic statement about suppliers.  The dealer has not been able to get any update on delivery either, only that car was in production.  I know about the issue with Magna Ride and steering wheels.  My issue is that no one can tell my dealer (therefore me) the exact status of my car.  Its like manufacturing and sales are not connected.  I know 8,000 cars without steering wheels is hard to get resheduled, but to not be able to get an estimated delivery date now is hard to believe.  Would be nice to have a date! The bigger problem is that it will be over 5 months to get a Mustang.  The dealership (owns about 6 shops) appears to have had allocation and he's big enough that he owns a new Ford GT. I know Ford is reducing car sales, but Mustang is a premiere model and to have to wait 5-6 months is ridiculous.  If it was a GT350 or 500 or Ford GT, maybe, but a Mustang GT!!!!  OBTW once it's built, i'm told it could be 2-3 weeks to get delivered.  I already have my trailer hooked up to my F150 and can be there in 8 hours to pick it up ?

Edited by KenC

KenC, I feel your pain. Similar to your case, my order was placed on 9/27/2018. Build was eventually scheduled for 1/21/2019, with an EDD of 2/17. Changed from "Production" to "Awaiting Shipment" on 3/16, with a new EDD of 4/12. It's still "Awaiting Shipment" (by rail) as of today, 4/2, so I'll be very lucky to see the car by the end of April, a full seven months after placing the order. This is for what I assumed would be a "normal" special order with no limited production options. Apparently the standard line is "8 to 10 weeks for delivery." Dealerships won't tell you about order priorities, allocation limits, commodity restrictions, or anything else that will almost certainly delay the delivery of your vehicle.

To the Executives and Management, I agree with KenC that a big problem with Ford customer relations is the serious lack of communication between Manufacturing, Zone Reps, Dealerships, and customers. The Dealership and Zone Rep provide little or no information regarding delays involving scheduling, production, or shipment.  We customers are forced to rely on various blogs to learn about Magneride or other option contraints, steering wheel/railcar shortages, shift reductions, and so on, to learn the status of our orders.

The on-line Ford Vehicle Order Tracking system would be a great resource if only it was accurate and updated with some regularity. I understand the app is relatively new, but it is currently more frustrating than it is informative. Why should a vehicle be shown as "In Production" for two or three months with no updates or explanation whatsoever? Also by now, many customers have experienced the EDD countdown reversing course once it gets down to 1 day, after which it increments by 1 each day. (Programmers will recognize the absolute value function being applied, while others are just further annoyed)

As one who has worked in automated supply chain management (Oracle EBS) for over 20 years, I know that even the best Just-In-Time systems aren't perfect, especially when operating on a global scale. Still, customer communication is key. In my opinion, all the marketing and advertising benefit for Ford is being lost in the actual buying experience.

• Thanks 1