Ford building a new factory?

1 hour ago, lastmanstanding said:

They are going to build their "all electric vehicle" in Flat Rock, so I thought the New Plant was just an  "add-on" to the Flat Rock Plant?  Thinking "autonomous"  would be electric, so it would make sense. 

That's what I thought too but that new building they’re wrapping up construction on right now is a data center. 

• Like 1

The autonomous vehicle production (Transit Connect) was taken from us at Flat Rock in the last year without telling us. Ford is looking for property in the metro Detroit area to build a small plant for autonomous production. Most likely it will be near the Michigan Central Train Station, which will house the workers designing the autonomous vehicles. Ford owns dozens of properties down Michigan Avenue from the train station to the Glass House, so the smart money says the new facility will be in that stretch. We are getting an all electric SUV in a few years and may possibly get a VW product to build if the alliance grows past mid size trucks and vans. They are continuing the Continental for 2 more model runs. The 2020 model was supposed to be the final one, but they now want to make a 2021 model. Total yearly sales for here and China combined are less than 9,000, so it's a low volume seller that keeps getting lower.

Ford Rouge Complex is near the Train Station and has plenty of room.What I do know is that LTP is adding a 2nd shift with transfers from FRAP ,to assemble transmissions used in the new Ford Escape.Ford is hoping that vehicle will be a big seller.If Ford is building or converting an existing building to make autonomous vehicles Local 600 is gonna have some say in the matter.Local 600 has the most members of any local.Business is looking good,should be a smooth contract.I think Ford will be the target company because there are no scandals {like FCAU} or bad feelings {like GM}.C`mon buyouts,,,,,C`mon buyouts,please.

They’re also clearing out all of the old kitting areas used for Focus/C-Max part sequencing in old Wayne Assembly, and it looks like they’re getting ready to cut down the last of the old body carrier conveyor in the northwest end of the building. The old paint shop is still empty too but it doesn't look like anyone has been back there in a very long time. 

Don't know the full plan for WAP, but there will be 50 sequencing jobs coming for the Bronco (Focus was only 30). We were given 4 weeks to completely empty the building. There relocating General Stores and tearing down the old Union offices. Sounds like almost every square inch is going to be used within the next 2 years.

1 hour ago, chris532 said:

Don't know the full plan for WAP, but there will be 50 sequencing jobs coming for the Bronco (Focus was only 30). We were given 4 weeks to completely empty the building. There relocating General Stores and tearing down the old Union offices. Sounds like almost every square inch is going to be used within the next 2 years.

I'm going to assume you’re trades? 

When was the last time the general store was actually used anyway? :hysterical:

WAP general stores is still used somewhat for storage of large items. It will now become one, MAP general stores is coming to WAP. With all the overhead conveyors at MAP they just don't have enough room for the needed stock for both Ranger and Bronco.

The Company sure seems to have a lot goin on.Should be a smooth contract.I think Ford will be the target because it has no major obstacles like GM {plant closings} or FCAU {corruption investigation}.If the UAW can get a quick deal done with Ford that will pressure the other 2.Ya wanna strike,fine.Ford will gladly eat your lunch,I mean sell more trucks and SUV`s.The old union guy inside me would like to see a better shake for the temps as well as something a little extra for the retirees.

• Like 1

They also need to get rid of the TPT workers. Or at least give them a better path to full time. I know some TPT workers have been waiting over 2.5 years to become full time. The union keeps telling them to hang on that they will eventually be full time. Maybe after the next contract depending on how many people retire. What happened to equal pay for equal work? Women have been fighting for equal pay for generations and now a 2 tir person or TPT is doing the exact same job as a "legacy " employee at sometimes half the pay and ZERO benefits. Does that sound like equal pay for equal work?

And it dosent matter what is in the contract. As long as local 600 gets the last vote it will ALWAYS pass 50.1 to 49.9.

Edited by Sterling Archer

9 minutes ago, Sterling Archer said:

They also need to get rid of the TPT workers. Or at least give them a better path to full time. I know some TPT workers have been waiting over 2.5 years to become full time. The union keeps telling them to hang on that they will eventually be full time. Maybe after the next contract depending on how many people retire. What happened to equal pay for equal work? Women have been fighting for equal pay for generations and now a 2 tir person or TPT is doing the exact same job as a "legacy " employee at sometimes half the pay and ZERO benefits. Does that sound like equal pay for equal work?

And it dosent matter what is in the contract. As long as local 600 gets the last vote it will ALWAYS pass 50.1 to 49.9.

Now now, they should be thankful they even have a job! ?