Dealers get a glimpse of Bronco prototype

On 3/25/2019 at 6:39 AM, twintornados said:

In other words....still nothing more than conjecture .... wondering when the dealerships will begin papering over the showroom windows to continue this build up.

I'll give Ford credit on this one...man, do they know how to drag intro's out.....

Wow... back to the days when dealerships papered the showroom to hide the new models until "intro" day and all the new cars were introduced in the Fall. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 8:33 AM, akirby said:

In Ford speak in production December 2020 would still be Late 2020 (as opposed to Available late 2020 which would imply an earlier Job 1 date).

Remember when someone announced 3 new products at MAP with one being a new "brand"?   Maybe Bronco is the sub brand.  I'm guessing this trucklet will share styling and drivetrains with Maverick.

You can complain about Hackett but one thing is clear - he is greenlighting some awesome products from Explorer/Aviator to Bronco, Maverick, etc. to the GT500 to the Hybrid mustang/F150 and the new BEVs.   And it sounds like the next gen Edge will also be something special.

And why is he doing that?  Because that's where you get the higher margins.

It does?  I thought it was basically becoming a bigger (new) Escape?

On 3/25/2019 at 10:07 AM, silvrsvt said:

Its an attribute mule most likely using the Escape front end on it. Its the 1st gen prototype cobbled together to test driveline and other things under the skin. Its like the Bronco prototype we just saw that looks like a midget Ranger.

The Bronco should have its actual styling mules out on the road in the next 90 days and I'd expect the Maverick/baby Bronco and small pickup to do the same before the end of the summer. 

Since its going to be part of the lifestyle subbrand including the Bronco and Baby Bronco-who wants to SWAG a name for it?

You know - I was thinking it'd be neat to have a "Bronco T" truck (basically same thing as Gladiator.......but now I'm wondering with this comment by Farley about it being part of the offroad "brand" - maybe this little trucklet will be to Maverick what Gladiator is to Wrangler - basically a truck version of the Maverick - sharing front clips, interiors, etc., but with a bed.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:04 AM, silvrsvt said:

I was expecting to have some sort of removable roof panels or something-maybe a variation of T-tops? 

How can you remove the doors and still keep it legal? Or is that under "off road use only" loophole? 

4d87cef0-522e-11e9-95a9-f028d6fad55e

Perhaps they can get around it with these impact bars that slide out of the doors?

17 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It does?  I thought it was basically becoming a bigger (new) Escape?

That was based on these comments that next gen Edge is going on CD6F instead of a stretched Escape platform and PremierDrum's reply.   Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

That was based on these comments that next gen Edge is going on CD6F instead of a stretched Escape platform and PremierDrum's reply.   Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

Capture.PNG

Ah gotcha.  Guess I was thinking more style wise.  Though I do think Edge will benefit from some more taut/athletic surfacing.

Edited by rmc523

28 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Ah gotcha.  Guess I was thinking more style wise.  Though I do think Edge will benefit from some more taut/athletic surfacing.

Styling is very similar to the 2020 Escape that just debuted today, but the nose looks more like the 2015-18 Focus. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

What do you mean? 

On the 2020 Escape, the grill takes up pretty much the front of the bumper and there is a decent gap from the hood front

on the 2018 Focus, the grill is more centered between the headlights and hood opening is much smaller. 

So that would mean the next gen Edge would have a smaller grill opening, but be stylistically closer to the current gen Edge?

Splitting hairs, but there is a subtle differences

7 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

On the 2020 Escape, the grill takes up pretty much the front of the bumper and there is a decent gap from the hood front

on the 2018 Focus, the grill is more centered between the headlights and hood opening is much smaller. 

So that would mean the next gen Edge would have a smaller grill opening, but be stylistically closer to the current gen Edge?

Splitting hairs, but there is a subtle differences

The front third you pretty much nailed, but the rear 2/3 is more like the 2020 Escape in shape. It's a little hard to describe but the way they did it I think looks fantastic. 

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The front third you pretty much nailed, but the rear 2/3 is more like the 2020 Escape in shape. It's a little hard to describe but the way they did it I think looks fantastic. 

Given what the new 2020 Escape looks like-it looks much better then what I was seeing in spy shots...looked really bland. Hopefully the Edge improves upon that.