Dealers get a glimpse of Bronco prototype

Dealers get a glimpse of Bronco prototype

Michael Martinez      https://www.autonews.com/sales/dealers-get-glimpse-bronco-prototype

March 25, 2019 12:00 AM

Dealers, after relinquishing their phones, were shown an early build of a two-door Bronco and told that a four-door version also would be offered, according to multiple sources in the room. The Bronco is designed to be customizable, with a removable hard top and removable doors that can be stored in the vehicle's cargo area, the sources said. The side mirrors will be attached to the front pillars so they remain in place when the doors are taken off, unlike the Jeep Wrangler — one of the chief rivals Ford is targeting with its Bronco revival.

Those in the room said the SUV has a retro design, featuring a rectangular grille, round headlights and the word "Bronco" stamped across the front.

The Bronco, a nameplate that Ford killed in 1996, and other off-roaders are key products for the automaker as it ditches unprofitable cars and devotes 90 percent of capital spending to more lucrative light trucks.

Ford also showed dealers its small off-roader — unofficially referred to as the Baby Bronco — as well as its upcoming Mustang-inspired, electric crossover with a 300-mile range. Executives did not divulge names for either of the vehicles, due next year.

The Bronco "was twice as cool as I thought it would be," said one dealer, who asked to remain anonymous while discussing future products.

"It's a going to be a game changer," said another dealer who attended.

Ford described its off-roaders to dealers as a family of vehicles, although the company stopped short of labeling them as a subbrand. The off-road lineup will include the two- and four-door Broncos, the Baby Bronco and the unibody pickup, sources said.

Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets, confirmed plans for a compact pickup in January after Automobile magazine reported that Ford was working on such a vehicle. This is the first time, however, that the pickup has been tied to a larger off-road lineup.

Dealers were told the Bronco would be available in late 2020, as soon as three months after the Baby Bronco.

Things are moving along nicely......

• Like 1

In other words....still nothing more than conjecture .... wondering when the dealerships will begin papering over the showroom windows to continue this build up.

I'll give Ford credit on this one...man, do they know how to drag intro's out.....

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 2

That's interesting that the C class pickup is going to be part of the "off road" brand that the Bronco and Baby Bronco is going to be part of. I guess it will be even more "lifestyle" vehicle then the Ranger is with only being able to haul maybe a quad or two in the bed?

The comment about the Bronco being available in late 2020 contradicts the other reports of it actually just going into production in December 2020-maybe its going into production late in the Summer of 2020?

If Fiesta production is ending early summer (May) 2019-How long is the retooling process of the plant going to take? I can't see it taking 6+ plus months to do. The Mach E should be in production before the end of this year and the Maverick/Baby Bronco in the late spring/summer of 2020. 

Edited by silvrsvt

In Ford speak in production December 2020 would still be Late 2020 (as opposed to Available late 2020 which would imply an earlier Job 1 date).

Remember when someone announced 3 new products at MAP with one being a new "brand"?   Maybe Bronco is the sub brand.  I'm guessing this trucklet will share styling and drivetrains with Maverick.

You can complain about Hackett but one thing is clear - he is greenlighting some awesome products from Explorer/Aviator to Bronco, Maverick, etc. to the GT500 to the Hybrid mustang/F150 and the new BEVs.   And it sounds like the next gen Edge will also be something special.

And why is he doing that?  Because that's where you get the higher margins.

• Like 3

https://www.motor1.com/news/315237/four-door-ford-bronco-rumor/

The new Bronco, the smaller so-called Baby Bronco, and the unibody pickup reportedly share a rugged styling aesthetic that should set them apart from the sleeker crossovers that are more common on the market.”

i thought this was interesting. The last thing I’d call the spy photos of the compact truck was “rugged.” Does this mean it could share looks with the maverick?

3 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

i thought this was interesting. The last thing I’d call the spy photos of the compact truck was “rugged.” Does this mean it could share looks with the maverick?

Its an attribute mule most likely using the Escape front end on it. Its the 1st gen prototype cobbled together to test driveline and other things under the skin. Its like the Bronco prototype we just saw that looks like a midget Ranger.

The Bronco should have its actual styling mules out on the road in the next 90 days and I'd expect the Maverick/baby Bronco and small pickup to do the same before the end of the summer. 

Since its going to be part of the lifestyle subbrand including the Bronco and Baby Bronco-who wants to SWAG a name for it?

37 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

?

Sorry but that's been known for quite some time since they announced the baby bronco and all the other bronco details.  They are obviously going after Wrangler, Cherokee and Renegade.   Which is a good thing.

37 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Its an attribute mule most likely using the Escape front end on it. Its the 1st gen prototype cobbled together to test driveline and other things under the skin. Its like the Bronco prototype we just saw that looks like a midget Ranger.

The Bronco should have its actual styling mules out on the road in the next 90 days and I'd expect the Maverick/baby Bronco and small pickup to do the same before the end of the summer. 

Since its going to be part of the lifestyle subbrand including the Bronco and Baby Bronco-who wants to SWAG a name for it?

Didn't Ford register "Timberline" for automotive related use?

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Also I can confirm almost everything in that autonews article except for the roof thing. I'm still not clear on the details of it.

I was expecting to have some sort of removable roof panels or something-maybe a variation of T-tops? 

How can you remove the doors and still keep it legal? Or is that under "off road use only" loophole? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Didn't Ford register "Timberline" for automotive related use?

Well according to our "esteemed" insider who is no longer with us (I'm guessing)-it was rumored to be a new trim level to be lined up with the Super Duty, which didn't pan out.

But who knows? Maybe it will be a trim level for this sub brand not a sub brand that is coming out? Not sure how well it work for a pickup or SUV. Does Ford have any other names it used with Pickup trucks that haven't become Nameplates in the past 20-30 years (Ranger Edge, F-150 Explorer etc...)

2 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Well according to our "esteemed" insider who is no longer with us (I'm guessing)-it was rumored to be a new trim level to be lined up with the Super Duty, which didn't pan out.

But who knows? Maybe it will be a trim level for this sub brand not a sub brand that is coming out? Not sure how well it work for a pickup or SUV. Does Ford have any other names it used with Pickup trucks that haven't become Nameplates in the past 20-30 years (Ranger Edge, F-150 Explorer etc...)

Ranchero?? Oops...never mind...I see what you are referring to...

Edited by twintornados

16 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I was expecting to have some sort of removable roof panels or something-maybe a variation of T-tops? 

How can you remove the doors and still keep it legal? Or is that under "off road use only" loophole? 

It looks like it's retractable based on what I saw but that might have just been the cross braces. Pretty sure it's all under the off-road use only loophole. 

A common marketing for those 3 vehicles (Bronco, Baby-Bronco and the compact pick-up) as an off road vehicles requires a common name or label. I think the Bronco´s wild horse image will be used for all. The name could be Bronco, Bronco Maverick and Bronco ???, or could be different for each one: Bronco, Maverick and ???

However, it takes a long time to know (at least 12 months)

32 minutes ago, falconlover 1 said:

A common marketing for those 3 vehicles (Bronco, Baby-Bronco and the compact pick-up) as an off road vehicles requires a common name or label. I think the Bronco´s wild horse image will be used for all. The name could be Bronco, Bronco Maverick and Bronco ???, or could be different for each one: Bronco, Maverick and ???

However, it takes a long time to know (at least 12 months)

Nah, it's part of the mustang sub brand 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3