Toyota Tundra loses Consumer Reports recommendation

hwyman3

1 hour ago, J-150 said:

What it proves, is that by scoring it 103 out of 100 they were biased and got caught.

To be fair the 103 score was for the road test not reliability.  It was rated average for reliability.

However it's 100% true that CR used to give a new Toyota an automatic reliable rating even if it was a brand new model but did not do that for other mfrs.  They have since changed that practice after getting burned on a new Toyota (might have been Corolla).

1 hour ago, J-150 said:

What it proves, is that by scoring it 103 out of 100 they were biased and got caught.

As with Tesla as well. The big news in this article is that just a few weeks ago the Model 3 lost its CR recommendation because of poor reliability. But Tesla vehicles have all, and from the very beginning, been plagued with defects and reliability problems. What is astounding is that CR initially gave Tesla cars a buy recommendation until finally reliability problems became impossible for them to continue to gloss over. Don't get me wrong, the cars contain cutting-edge technology, innovative engineering, and score well on road tests. But reliability is supposed to be a go/no-go screen for getting a recommendation. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/tesla-model-3-loses-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/

2 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

As with Tesla as well. The big news in this article is that just a few weeks ago the Model 3 lost its CR recommendation because of poor reliability. But Tesla vehicles have all, and from the very beginning, been plagued with defects and reliability problems. What is astounding is that CR initially gave Tesla cars a buy recommendation until finally reliability problems became impossible for them to continue to gloss over. Don't get me wrong, the cars contain cutting-edge technology, innovative engineering, and score well on road tests. But reliability is supposed to be a go/no-go screen for getting a recommendation. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/tesla-model-3-loses-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/

Of course the Tesla snd Toyota bias couldn't last. Readers figured it out and was affecting CR credibility.

On 3/22/2019 at 2:47 PM, rperez817 said:

CR didn't do that. The rules for earning "recommended" status are the same for all automakers, based on the overall score. Here is what CR says. "CR’s Overall Score, which is calculated by combining a vehicle’s performance in our road tests; reliability and owner satisfaction ratings drawn from CR’s exclusive Auto Survey; the inclusion of blind spot warning and frontal crash prevention systems with pedestrian detection; and, if available, results from government and insurance industry crash tests."

They absolutely did that.  I used to buy CR between 2006 and 2008 and they recommended the all-new 2007 Tundra without hesitation "because of their reputation" but refused to recommend the all-new Silverado and Sierra because "they were too new."  This was all within the same magazine, I should note.

Our feelings here about GM aside, this was an egregious display of inconsistency and bias by the magazine.  I haven't so much as picked up an issue off the shelf since, except to move it out of the way because it's blocking something else I want to read.

• Like 2

CR is garbage..has anybody ever bought or not bought a product after reading a CR review???.....tundra is one dam ugly truck to begin with....the italians can produce sex on wheels like no other....why i own a Beta and lookin at a new Ram 

16 hours ago, snooter said:

CR is garbage..has anybody ever bought or not bought a product after reading a CR review???.....tundra is one dam ugly truck to begin with....the italians can produce sex on wheels like no other....why i own a Beta and lookin at a new Ram 

Actually, CR is these days a bit of an oddity. No one does product analysis and comparison as well on a wide range of household items, from blenders, to refrigerators, to vacuums and such. As long as the product stays way away from anything politically correct CR is still the best. The problem is that this non-profit, like so many others, is now run by Those With A Mission, which affects their impartiality on things like automobiles and health care choices.

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 5:19 PM, snooter said:

CR has heavily influenced us on many things.  Their surveys from actual owners of things can't be beat and generally track what other surveys say about the vehicles.  

Outside of Alfa and Maserati what is so sexy about the Italian designs?  Fiat?  500 is Fugly, 128 is a Miata hit with the ugly stick.  And nothing Mopar makes is nicely styled, including Ram (boy racer to generic) and Challenger (lime green leisure suit).  And they have garbage long term reliability too.  

2 minutes ago, itguy09 said:

CR has heavily influenced us on many things.  Their surveys from actual owners of things can't be beat and generally track what other surveys say about the vehicles.  

CR surveys are biased from the get-go.  They only survey subscribers to their magazine, which are better educated and more affluent than the public at large.  

18 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

CR surveys are biased from the get-go.  They only survey subscribers to their magazine, which are better educated and more affluent than the public at large.  

I’ve also felt CR readers who respond  aren’t always honest with themselves - I.e. I only buy the best thing. - “Yes, my Bosch is a POS, but it was top rated by CR, and I only buy the best, 5 stars!”

Edited by sullynd
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 6:21 PM, rperez817 said:

Might want to read CR rmc523 sir. Your statements about Toyota and about Tesla Model S are both incorrect. 

On 3/25/2019 at 12:54 PM, rperez817 said:

Thanks for the article J-150 sir. It confirms very clearly that Consumer Reports did not claim Tesla Model S was "the most reliable vehicle ever tested".

I apologize, I mis-remembered - it wasn't for reliability, but I guess performance.  The point still stands - they gave a vehicle a 103-point score.....on a 100-point scale.  You think that's a trustworthy organization that doesn't make up their own rules as they please?  Again, it's been well documented Toyotas get an auto recommended rating while others don't.

• Like 1