What are they building at Southfield and Rotunda ?

For us "old timers" that was the site of the old NAAO building.  It has been gone for quite some time now (20 years ?), but there has been construction activity there for many months now.

One rumor is that it will be the site a Powertrain engineering and development building.  Powertrain has always been too big to fit in any one site (except for a brief time after the the '07 Exodus) and, even then, Transmission engineering and development was in Livonia.

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 1

Parking lot and on the former site of the school by the hospital there is a Senior Living Center with Memory Care.

That building was QMP when I was there and did a rotation, don't think they updated from the 70's.   That building was however was the birthplace of the Mustang.

I worked at the NAAO building on that site for a couple of years in the late '80s  as a contract programmer on the LUCID PC application project.

I have some good memories of talking to older guys high up in various vehicle programs, and hearing some of their old war stories from the TRULY "Old Days" of the late '50s, '60s, and '70s.

The little "New Model Year" car show out in the south parking lot during the late summer was a fun event to go to.  Seeing disguised vehicle mules in the parking lot there, and esp. in the EEE lot during my install visits there was very cool - in the pre-Internet "spyshot" world of 1988/89.

One thing I still chuckle about is how after various big meetings would get out, a stream of staff would parade through the offices of the stats people I worked for asking for this data and that data and the request was ALWAYS for "Bob" - aka Bob Rewey who was in charge of the complex back then.  The guys I reported to would mutter about how "busy" Bob's surely going to be if everyone gets the data they're asking for!   LOL!

The other anecdotal story I remember is someone coming in and telling us how he had just left a meeting where they had spent almost an entire hour arguing about whether to greenlight (or not) a .20 cent backseat ashtray in a Lincoln!  He was massaging his temple and looking for some aspirin at that point! 

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 11:55 AM, Ovaltine said:

I worked at the NAAO building on that site for a couple of years in the late '80s  as a contract programmer on the LUCID PC application project.

I have some good memories of talking to older guys high up in various vehicle programs, and hearing some of their old war stories from the TRULY "Old Days" of the late '50s, '60s, and '70s.

The little "New Model Year" car show out in the south parking lot during the late summer was a fun event to go to.  Seeing disguised vehicle mules in the parking lot there, and esp. in the EEE lot during my install visits there was very cool - in the pre-Internet "spyshot" world of 1988/89.

One thing I still chuckle about is how after various big meetings would get out, a stream of staff would parade through the offices of the stats people I worked for asking for this data and that data and the request was ALWAYS for "Bob" - aka Bob Rewey who was in charge of the complex back then.  The guys I reported to would mutter about how "busy" Bob's surely going to be if everyone gets the data they're asking for!   LOL!

The other anecdotal story I remember is someone coming in and telling us how he had just left a meeting where they had spent almost an entire hour arguing about whether to greenlight (or not) a .20 cent backseat ashtray in a Lincoln!  He was massaging his temple and looking for some aspirin at that point! 

-Ovaltine

Very good-war stories like this are what I as a "civilian" really appreciate.