Flat Rock to build BEV

From the article:

"This is a different battery-electric vehicle than the one announced in 2017," Hinrichs told The Detroit News. "This is a different plan. We have a more ambitious plan for battery-electric vehicles around the world."

Sounds like VW's MEB architecture is going to be used in some form?

15 minutes ago, twintornados said:

From the article:

Sounds like VW's MEB architecture is going to be used in some form?

I didn't get that impression at all.  Just sounds like additional BEV models.

Just now, akirby said:

Can somebody explain this one?  It’s in reference to moving Transit Connect production to Hermosillo (Mexico):

Well, if the current one is built in Spain, and this new one will be built in Mexico, that means most TC parts content from that point forward would be North American built/sourced.  So presumably, more content of it would be build in the US or Canada, but assembled in Mexico.

It is an odd statement, and comes directly from Ford's press release - you'd think it'd say "US, Mexico, and Canada vehicle content"

"In other developments on Wednesday, Ford said it will build its next-generation North American Transit Connect small commercial and passenger van in Hermosillo, Mexico, starting in 2021. 

That move increases U.S. and Canadian vehicle content consistent with the proposed United States-Mexico-Canada trade agreement, which boosts sourcing of components with North American suppliers, Ford said in its news release. "It also helps the company improve the profitability of its North American Transit Connect lineup.""

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/03/20/ford-electric-car-900-jobs-detroit/3221558002/

17 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

"In other developments on Wednesday, Ford said it will build its next-generation North American Transit Connect small commercial and passenger van in Hermosillo, Mexico, starting in 2021. 

That move increases U.S. and Canadian vehicle content consistent with the proposed United States-Mexico-Canada trade agreement, which boosts sourcing of components with North American suppliers, Ford said in its news release. "It also helps the company improve the profitability of its North American Transit Connect lineup.""

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/03/20/ford-electric-car-900-jobs-detroit/3221558002/

The other article didn’t mention North American suppliers, just US and Canadian content that was the confusing part (to me).  This clears it up.

14 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

The big, vacant building you sometimes refer to next to MAP?

I don't know, I tend to doubt it. More of the building is used than I though. MAP mod center and prove out is in there, as well as the 3 Stamping sub lines. I think they’re about to demolish what little is left of the old body shop carriage line that comes over from Stamping, there's a bunch of red hash marks that were just recently painted on them which appears to be markers for cutting them down. 

So this is what I got from reading the articles:

1. First time Ford confirmed Model E architecture will spawn more than one vehicle (although that seems obvious) - the first model, a SUV will be made at Cuautitlan. The second model... not sure what kind, will be made at Flat Rock.

2. First time Ford confirmed Transit Connect is moving to North America (although we speculated that for a long time). Seems like the regular version will be made in Hermosillo and the Autonomous driving version (which may be EV) will have final completion at Michigan (this part was known... but wasn't sure previously if the body shell/rolling chassis was still going to come from Spain).

The confirmation of Transit Connect moving to Hermosillo I think also clarifies the new unibody compact pickup will be made there. There was some debate whether that will go to Cuautitlan.

Also, I'm wondering if Ford will try to leverage the remaining CD6 production line (for Mustang) to build something else. The articles and Ford's press release said nothing about the future of Continental. But Ford is keeping Mustang in Flat Rock instead of moving it to Chicago so it is keeping two CD6 plants in North America.

Edited by bzcat

10 hours ago, bzcat said:

Also, I'm wondering if Ford will try to leverage the remaining CD6 production line (for Mustang) to build something else. The articles and Ford's press release said nothing about the future of Continental. But Ford is keeping Mustang in Flat Rock instead of moving it to Chicago so it is keeping two CD6 plants in North America.

Maybe they didn't mention a new Continental because perhaps it will be one of the new EVs. I don't know, have no insider information, just speculating. The next Jaguar XJ6 is widely rumored to be EV only.

Edit: about the same time that the thread about a new RWD Lincoln sedan and coupe appeared here, MT said that they were dead. 

Unrelated to your post, with each factory allotment being announced, it appears that the new Focus will never be sold here, so I'll be buying my next vehicle elsewhere. Well, unless I decide to get a CUV, but right now it's about a 5% chance of that.

Edited by AGR

I bet Ford has been sweating on the USMCA being favorable so it can make some long term changes there to not only  benefit North America but to increase the efficiency of electrified vehicles to the rest of the world. Transit to Hermosillo is another piece of the puzzle falling into place, it joins the rumored small truck and companion Utility, which makes me think that Fusion's replacement might that future EV based at Flat Rock...

21 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Both the News and Free Press say the Transit Connect is moving to Mexico.

This could be a BIG win for Ford !  Connect sales have been "good" since it was introduced in the US, but it has always had the "chicken tax" hanging over its head so all were imported as "wagons" and then the necessary vehicle were "converted" to "vans" (back seats and windows removed).  The announcement os based on the assumption that the replacement for NAFTA get approved by all parties (I thought it already HAD been approved).  This could be a huge cost savings for Connect vans.

The "other shoe" is, are they going to stop production completely at the current plant or is this a second plant ?

24 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I could be wrong but I suspect the case for AV commercials is not as strong as Ford is painting and that's why TC is moving to Mexico.

I think it’s moving to Mexico because it’s a C platform vehicle.  The only other C plant is Louisville and it’s at capacity with Escape and Corsair.