Ford Boosts Production for Expedition Starts new Ads

1 minute ago, jasonj80 said:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/03/19/ford-boosts-production-for-expedition--adds-550-jobs.html

Happy to see the new Ad campaign to show they are still in the market, should have done this 2 years ago. The share gain is nice however the new GM's are launching later this year and should take some of that back depending. 

I disagree. You don't launch a new ad campaign when you can't keep up with demand at all. 

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I disagree. You don't launch a new ad campaign when you can't keep up with demand at all. 

The announcement specifically states that Ford is boosting production to meet the increased demand not that they cannot keep up with the demand.  

Edited by twintornados

23 minutes ago, twintornados said:

The announcement specifically states that Ford is boosting production to meet the increased demand not that they cannot keep up with the demand.  

That is true, but they’re in a MUCH a better position now than they were out of the gate. They've also been able to build up a little bit of inventory which they weren't able to do before 

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

The margins on the Navi must be sky-high, to justify a 9-year run that averaged 10K units/year.

HRG

Navi sales 10 years.JPG

Well when the old Previous generations were an expedition in a cheap suit. Especially the 3rd gen. I’m sure the margins were decent. 

3 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

It is going to be interesting long term how GM deals with new competition from Ford as well as the indications that FCA will also be getting into this market.

They've been able to get by without much real competition for so long.  I don't think they'll be able to skate by with half assed updates any more.  Hopefully what RAM is doing to them in the truck space is a wakeup call.  Because if they do with Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon what they did with Silvererra it's not going to be good.

• Like 1

This is the second expansion of production at KTP,  the first being a 25% increase in production of the Explorer/Navigator and now this 20% increase to stay in front of surging sales. I don't think that GM would be concerned about this as it probably means that combined production of  Expedition and Navigator will probably be around 12,000 per month. In proportion, the increase in Expedition production is most likely to answer requests for more XLT and possibly lower trims of Navigator to replace MKT which should end later this year.

Given recent peak production levels at KTP have been around 41K combined, this increase will mean that those levels are easier to maintain or exceed without compromising Super Duty production....what they do if the 7.3 is a runaway success...

Edited by jpd80

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

This is the second expansion of production at KTP,  the first being a 25% increase in production of the Explorer/Navigator and now this 20% increase to stay in front of surging sales. I don't think that GM would be concerned about this as it probably means that combined production of  Expedition and Navigator will probably be around 12,000 per month. In proportion, the increase in Expedition production is most likely to answer requests for more XLT and possibly lower trims of Navigator to replace MKT which should end later this year.

I heard they're keeping MKT as a fleet vehicle to keep Aviator sales retail.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

I heard they're keeping MKT as a fleet vehicle to keep Aviator sales retail.

For now but MKT and Flex existence is part of Unifor contract and most likely dead legging to the end of the contract.

Nav inventory is far from filled out at the moment so I'd expect that we would get a better picture once that's fleshed out.

Edited by jpd80

20 minutes ago, akirby said:

They've been able to get by without much real competition for so long.  I don't think they'll be able to skate by with half assed updates any more.  Hopefully what RAM is doing to them in the truck space is a wakeup call.  Because if they do with Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon what they did with Silvererra it's not going to be good.

Maybe they'll have "SUV MONTH" every month?

43 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not sure it will be, GM is being run to generate short term big profits. RAM is going hard core to displace Chevy at number 2, if they pull that off this year Barra could very will be gone as CEO by next June as profits will fall. The problem for GM is that a certain group of people were pissed that they got bailed out, they started to get over that and that same group of people are now angry that they are closing plants and moving to Mexico. The biggest issue GM has with that is that's the group that tends to buy pickups and they have been going to Ram in droves.

Its not like the current Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon were that great, they were marginally better than Sequoia and Expedition which were very old products but still exceeded them in certain attributes. 

48 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

. In proportion, the increase in Expedition production is most likely to answer requests for more XLT and possibly lower trims of Navigator to replace MKT which should end later this year.

Maybe to go after the fleet market. At least at the dealers around here an XLT will sit on a lot for a longer time, a Limited or Platinum will be gone in a few days. 

Hmmm... I'd like to know where all these Expeditions are being sold. We did well with the new Expedition up until 4-5 months ago and since then Expedition interest and sales have dropped off a cliff. We were advertising (2) 2018 Expedition Limited 4WD's at invoice less rebates and ended up selling them to other Dealers at below invoice just to get rid of them and off our floorplan. We now have (2) 2019's in stock... a Black Expedition Stealth and a Blue Platinum and we're not buying any more until we sell one of the stock units.