Cadillac unveils new CT5 - the CTS replacement

PREMiERdrum

5 minutes ago, Anthony said:

That rear quarter window looks like it is a fake too (note there is no light shining through).

The rear quarter window is fake. I could not believe it when I realized. This window and the large amount of black plastic that floods the front of the vehicle simulating air intakes make this car the farthest from a luxury car that can exist. The proportions, the details, the ornamentation, the fake rear window, the fake air intakes at the front, the terrible C- pillar...  this car is a design mess.

Well I can see at least gm can use all those leftover greenhouses from the Cruze

IMO. the side profile looks like a stretched Cruze.  Welcome back the Cimarron!! 

Just kidding. I agree, not hideous, but definitely not looking too great. I’ll wait to see one in person. 

Btw all the pictures of car profiles are proof positive everything is a copy of each other. Only one that’s not, Lexus. Lexus new tag line. “If it’s not ugly, we don’t make it”!

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:52 AM, akirby said:

Are we seeing the results of some serious cost cutting at Caddy the last couple of years?  First XT6 now this.

I find this really distressing that Cadillac is regressing to the 80's Cadillac where their cars were luxury in name only. This is made worse by the fact the sedan is on its own platform and should stand out from the rest of GM's lineup. It seriously looks like a Saturn or Pontiac revival. 

38 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

I find this really distressing that Cadillac is regressing to the 80's Cadillac where their cars were luxury in name only. This is made worse by the fact the sedan is on its own platform and should stand out from the rest of GM's lineup. It seriously looks like a Saturn or Pontiac revival. 

..or Oldsmobile. 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:52 AM, akirby said:

Are we seeing the results of some serious cost cutting at Caddy the last couple of years?  First XT6 now this.

The XT6 seems more like a rush job in response to dealers clamoring for a crossover of that size and price.

The CT5 shows more evidence of the cost-cutters' handiwork.

This car leaves me scratching my head...the sedan segment has been declining for years now. This entry, which strikes me as a half-hearted effort, isn't going to get anyone out of an Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz or Tesla. So why bother...?

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grbeck said:

The XT6 seems more like a rush job in response to dealers clamoring for a crossover of that size and price.

The CT5 shows more evidence of the cost-cutters' handiwork.

This car leaves me scratching my head...the sedan segment has been declining for years now. This entry, which strikes me as a half-hearted effort, isn't going to get anyone out of an Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz or Tesla. So why bother...?

At this point, it could be for the same reason that Nissan produces the Titan and Toyota builds the Tundra.  As a concession/an offering to fans of their brands who want to stay loyal to the company.

In GM's case, not just Cadillac but the whole umbrella.

I suspect CT5 was designed primarily with Chinese customers in mind... Cadillac even said they prioritize the rear seat leg and head room which explains the upright rear door opening, which will make it easier to get in and out of the back seat. This design priority means Cadillac couldn't go with a more fluid rear door opening that follows the roof line as previewed with the Escala concept car. CT5 also lost the rear quarter window from the Escala. It could be cost cutting but more likely, it is just the result of more upright rear door opening, which in turn reduces the area of sheetmetal that are required to meet certain roof strength metric (entirely my speculation).

Also, like the bigger CT6, the CT5 will be priced to compete with smaller entries so while it replaces CTS and XTS in the line up size wise, it reality, GM is really trying to jam it in the middle between the current ATS and CTS price range. And similarly, the CT4, which will come later, will be a BMW 3 series size car priced to compete with Audi A3, BMW 1-series, and Mercedes A-class sedan.

13 hours ago, bzcat said:

I suspect CT5 was designed primarily with Chinese customers in mind... Cadillac even said they prioritize the rear seat leg and head room which explains the upright rear door opening, which will make it easier to get in and out of the back seat. This design priority means Cadillac couldn't go with a more fluid rear door opening that follows the roof line as previewed with the Escala concept car. CT5 also lost the rear quarter window from the Escala. It could be cost cutting but more likely, it is just the result of more upright rear door opening, which in turn reduces the area of sheetmetal that are required to meet certain roof strength metric (entirely my speculation).

Also, like the bigger CT6, the CT5 will be priced to compete with smaller entries so while it replaces CTS and XTS in the line up size wise, it reality, GM is really trying to jam it in the middle between the current ATS and CTS price range. And similarly, the CT4, which will come later, will be a BMW 3 series size car priced to compete with Audi A3, BMW 1-series, and Mercedes A-class sedan.

Maybe you are rigth. In any case, the design of this car is painful. Is cheap looking (a black plastic panel simulating a rear window???   really???), uncohesive, with terrible proportions and bad stance, horrible details (that C-pillar is a mess...  is horrible... is emetic), with a front end that can be used in any cheap asian sedan (more fake black plastic air scoops than in a Civic...). I cant understand how this design received the green ligth for production. Maybe because is very cheap to produce it...

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

GM has another new RWD architecture coming around 2022 (a bit like Ford's CD6), it will replace Alpha and Omega....So these are the last we will see of the current CT6, CT5 and presumably CT4.

I don't know...if you have the beginning and the end...not really sure where you could go from there...maybe side wheel drive architecture and designated oopsilon.

(Yes, I know...it is actually upsilon...using "oops" intentionally)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I don't know...if you have the beginning and the end...not really sure where you could go from there...maybe side wheel drive architecture and designated oopsilon.

(Yes, I know...it is actually upsilon...using "oops" intentionally)

The days of spending $20 Billion on Cadillac over x number of years is over, GM will squeeze every last dollar out of its engineering.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 2:20 PM, bzcat said:

That started this whole problem-the CTS was doing "well" when it was the entry level product for Caddy (at least in the US) but with the ATS-which completely missed the mark and the CTS being pushed up market, both cars lost their shirts with their core buyers in the US.