Cadillac unveils new CT5 - the CTS replacement

PREMiERdrum

l83iu9upxzkkytgta4mn.jpg

This is the second sedan to adopt Cadillac’s newest alphanumeric naming system, behind the bigger, more expensive and eventually-fated-to-die CT6. With any luck it’ll sell better than the CT6 did, and live up to the CTS’ legacy—that was always a favorite with enthusiasts, including ones at the Jalopnik office. The XT crossovers have been using those names for a while.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-cadillac-ct5-is-your-very-turbocharged-cts-rep-1833369834

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Harley Earl and Bill Mitchell are rolling over in their graves right now...

That C-pillar area and rear window look very untidy. Overall, as others have noted, it does not look like a premium sedan.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 2

Overall, I don't think it's terrible. The front looks good - the headlights are a bit different (they remind me of the 1st gen Chevy Cruze how they "bumped" up into the hood area), but otherwise it's good. The front hasn't been a style problem for Cadillac - it's been from that point back, where the cars have looked like they were done by completely different design teams and put together at the last minute.

In that regard, it's a better effort on the rear here. But WTF is with that massive dead space between the taillights and trunk lid? Maybe it's smaller in person, but it just looks odd.

I don't like the C-pillar at all. Hopefully they at least made the black panel glass or at least gloss black plastic and not a flat/textured plastic, which would kill the look, and definitely give it that cheaper car look/feel.

16 hours ago, twintornados said:

When will Buick get their Regal replacement / version of this??

I wish, FWIW I heard a rumour 2 years ago Chevy is supposed to get a version of this to replace Impala/SS.

It doesn't look too sharp as the CT6 do but absolutely not terrible either, definitely some JDN influence on the side profile as it reminds me of the Q50.