Tesla Model Y Debuts

rmc523

I misread the other topic, and saw there wasn't a Model Y thread

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/15/tesla-model-y-unveiled/

Comments on the quick ride they gave:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/15/tesla-model-y-ride/

Tesla Model YTesla Model YTesla Model YTesla Model Y42cf6f40-472a-11e9-b695-d6f173fd2f18Tesla Model Y

Let's take a look at the few specs available so far. The Model Y, according to Musk, will be capable of 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. He expects 300 miles of "true, usable" driving range. We're assuming this is for the long-range model, which will be available first. That version will cost $47,000. The base version, which will be slower and have a shorter range, will come in at $39,000, with an availability of 2021.

According to Tesla's configurator, the rear-wheel-drive, Long Range version will cost $47,000. That one will have 300 miles of range, a top speed of 130 mph, and a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds.

Dual motor, all-wheel-drive versions will come in Long Range ($51,000) and Performance ($60,00) guises. The former will have 280 miles of range, a top speed of 135 mph, and a 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds.

The Performance shares the 280-mile range, but goes up to 150 mph, and does 0-60 in that hard-to-fathom 3.5 seconds. It also gets 20-inch performance wheels, performance brakes, a carbon fiber spoiler, lowered suspension, aluminum alloy pedal and a track mode.

Those three models are expected to begin delivery in fall of 2020. The $39,000 Model Y Standard Range, with 230 miles of range, is expected to deliver in spring of 2021. 

Look closely, and the Model Y looks pretty familiar, as about 75 percent of its DNA comes from the Model 3. As a crossover, it's slightly larger, and will eventually be offered as a three-row vehicle, seating seven, though a two-row version will be offered first.

I think it looks a bit more proportional than the 3.

There's no way the Y fits 7 adults:

C5F2XeP.jpg

• Like 1

Is the worst design I have seeing in the last 10 years. Is a crossover? Why that extremely arched roof?. Tesla has been able to design a vehicle with less curved roof and give more space to the passengers inside.

Aesthetically, the proportions are a mess. Is a horrible vehicle. The worst is that this model is so similar to the Model 3, that almost made that model superfluos. What is gaining Tesla with this model? A vehicle for the people that like SUVs/crossovers? I think no. This  is a tall (very tall, extremely tall) hatch. Not more than that.

Maybe for all this not even Wall Street is happy with this new vehicle...

4 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

Is the worst design I have seeing in the last 10 years. Is a crossover? Why that extremely arched roof?. Tesla has been able to design a vehicle with less curved roof and give more space to the passengers inside.

Aesthetically, the proportions are a mess. Is a horrible vehicle. The worst is that this model is so similar to the Model 3, that almost made that model superfluos. What is gaining Tesla with this model? A vehicle for the people that like SUVs/crossovers? I think no. This  is a tall (very tall, extremely tall) hatch. Not more than that.

Maybe for all this not even Wall Street is happy with this new vehicle...

It’s following what they did with the X, which is styling disaster itself. 

The biggest shortcoming with electric car styling is the lack of a front grill. Its jarring to our eyes...its like seeing someone without eyebrows. 

Thats something car companies need to work on-if the photoshops of the Model/Mach E are any indication-looks like Ford actually gets it. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The biggest shortcoming with electric car styling is the lack of a front grill. Its jarring to our eyes...its like seeing someone without eyebrows. 

Thats something car companies need to work on-if the photoshops of the Model/Mach E are any indication-looks like Ford actually gets it. 

I don't mind it not having a front grille, they pulled it off ok with the Model S refresh. Model 3/Y is not the way to do it. 

48 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't mind it not having a front grille, they pulled it off ok with the Model S refresh. Model 3/Y is not the way to do it. 

The S (and X for that matter) has that small slit/chrome "spear" that flanks the badge which helps give the front end a design element and a sort of thin grille, whereas the 3/Y don't have this, leaving it a complete blank space.  In certain lighting conditions (like the blue one above), the illusion of a grille is almost there, but it still doesn't have the same effect as even the Model S look would give it, IMO.

Looks a little awkward to my eyes, but the Tesla faithful will probably love it.

I don't think I'll ever warm up to that front end.  I can appreciate that having no grille offers different challenges to a stylist.  I'm not sure Tesla's solution is the right one.

11 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

The lack of a grille is not a problem. Some of the most succesfull Ford´s models didnt have grilles...

86-taurus1.jpg

autowp.ru_mercury_sable_27.jpg

It's amazing to think those came out in 1986! The Taurus looks a bit dated, but the Sable looks like it aged really well!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MadManMoon said:

We take for granted the advances in production tooling...even in a Ford promotional shot, look at the awful alignment of the driver's door lower cladding!

Go look at the trunk of any 2013+ Fusion. Most of them are misaligned in some way. Doesn't matter if it was built in Mexico or at FRAP. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo