Online Builder for 2020 Available

So, I was excited to see Ford finally made it available:  https://shop.ford.com/build/explorer/2020/

.....but my excitement faded quicky.  The Limited model was my target, being the only trim offering the hybrid powertrain.  First, it confirmed you can no longer get the multi-contour seats on the Limited, but far worse was the revelation that they only allow you to get the minivan seats in the second row!  The latter is a complete non-starter for me.  Really disappointing.

9 hours ago, alpha1847 said:

So, I was excited to see Ford finally made it available:  https://shop.ford.com/build/explorer/2020/

.....but my excitement faded quicky.  The Limited model was my target, being the only trim offering the hybrid powertrain.  First, it confirmed you can no longer get the multi-contour seats on the Limited, but far worse was the revelation that they only allow you to get the minivan seats in the second row!  The latter is a complete non-starter for me.  Really disappointing.

I'm thinking you are the target customer for an Aviator...

10 hours ago, alpha1847 said:

So you want/need the 35/30/35 2nd row bench seat?  Are you looking for something else? I'm not understanding the "minivan seats" comment.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

44 minutes ago, akirby said:

He means captain's chairs which are standard on everything except the base (fleet) model.

Probably not that hard to swap out if that's the only issue.

Looking at the order guide, only the 2nd row bench is referred to as "fold flat", important if 4'x8' sheet goods are going to be slid in, as mentioned in multiple reports. I wonder if the 2nd row captains chairs do not fold flat, there is no mention of that feature in the order guide?

HRG

On 3/15/2019 at 8:02 AM, twintornados said:

I'm thinking you are the target customer for an Aviator...

I really like the Aviator, but have you priced one out?  The base Grand Touring for about $70k is pretty much in line with the market and I would be fine with that. However, if you want adaptive cruise control, you have to add a $7600 package!  I think that is absurd.

I'm just frustrated.  I really wanted to swap my Volvo XC90 T8 PHEV for the Aviator GT, but this makes the price gap too big to justify.

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Redsford said:

I have a question. Where did or has the 2020 Explorer Utility or guide go that was here?  Just became a member couple months ago, but life long Ford fan and owner.

Thank you for all the info available.

Red

At the top under documents/guides.

On 3/14/2019 at 9:04 PM, alpha1847 said:

You can get the bench back on the Platinum model but it costs just under 500.00. Really not sure why they removed the option from Limited; I was also targeting the limited for my family because the Platinum is far more than they need. I am going to have to look at other manufacturers now. Still getting an Aviator for my work vehicle though.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:26 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

Looking at the order guide, only the 2nd row bench is referred to as "fold flat", important if 4'x8' sheet goods are going to be slid in, as mentioned in multiple reports. I wonder if the 2nd row captains chairs do not fold flat, there is no mention of that feature in the order guide?

HRG

Watch the TFL video on the Explorer St. The 2nd row buckets do fold flat.