Ford Edge ST Review “thanks but no thanks”

Watch the entire review.  It isn't a bad vehicle review per se, because the Edge is perfectly competent, but the Edge ST is not a step-up enough for the price or to be worthy of the ST badging.

He mentioned he had tested an Edge Titanium a few weeks earlier and it didn't really feel much different to him (and he gets on it too).

Edited by Anthony

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

The 2.3 doesn’t reach 400 hp on any production vehicle and the Edge FWD platform can only handle so much torque.

Exactly.  Fwd with a junk ptu system.  

Really looking forward to my 2020 Explorer ST being rwd based.

Edited by blwnsmoke

14 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Watch the entire review.  It isn't a bad vehicle review per se, because the Edge is perfectly competent, but the Edge ST is not a step-up enough for the price or to be worthy of the ST badging.

He mentioned he had tested an Edge Titanium a few weeks earlier and it didn't really feel much different to him (and he gets on it too).

He seemed to like the titanium better. I'm going to try and find his review of that a little later 

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

The 2.3 doesn’t reach 400 hp on any production vehicle and the Edge FWD platform can only handle so much torque.

Now there is the negative press saying that Edge St does not deserve the St badge. Put a 3.5 V6 on it, as it did with the old Edge associated with a turbo. I'm sure the press would reconsider.

5 minutes ago, RadicalX said:

Now there is the negative press saying that Edge St does not deserve the St badge. Put a 3.5 V6 on it, as it did with the old Edge associated with a turbo. I'm sure the press would reconsider.

I don't think it matters either way, it literally is a Rebadged Sport with a couple of relatively minor upgrades.

My best friend just bought one and I have driven it many times. I disagree with many of his comments. At any time, he could have mentioned competitors that HE PERCEIVES as being better, but he never did. Maybe coming into it, he was expecting Mustang drivability, but he continues to pull himself back that this is a BIG SUV....granted, losing 300-400lbs would be great (Ford seems to have a problem losing weight on anything BUT the F150 I will agree), but the vehicle does not in any way feel ponderous.  The brakes have big bite. When I come out of my driveway I have a few moments where I'm slamming into it because I'm not used to it. It's quick to downshift and yes we certainly make it jump, not sure what the 0-60 is but it's gotta be in the mid 5 second range without drama. And trust me I loathe FWD, if that vehicle would have had any evidence of torque steer, I would drive right back into the dealership, and my bestfriend would have no issue of not buying it because she hates FWD as well.  I can agree with a comment or 2 about the Sync3 system, attention to detail is needed, and honestly just dump the damn buttons again and put everything in one screen. Otherwise it's a solid product.

Like most reviews...take it with a grain of salt and drive one yourself. Since it was a refresh, not much else changed which has been discussed a lot on here before. I don't understand why he complained about the 8 speed though. Sure it's a thoroughly reworked version of the 6 speed but it still has 8 gears and acts like an 8 speed. He also failed to mention the AWD system is different.

3 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Like most reviews...take it with a grain of salt and drive one yourself. Since it was a refresh, not much else changed which has been discussed a lot on here before. I don't understand why he complained about the 8 speed though. Sure it's a thoroughly reworked version of the 6 speed but it still has 8 gears and acts like an 8 speed. He also failed to mention the AWD system is different.

His problem with the 8 speed wasn't necessarily that it's a reworked 6 speed, it's that some of the gear ratios chosen made for a driving experience that isn't necessarily the greatest. 

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

For a review that is fairly negative, he's not being entirely unfair for the sake of being unfair. At least it's fairly well reasoned. 

I agree, I like his style and man does he take some incredible B-roll film.  I'm going to subscribe to him.  There was nothing in that review that made me think he was being unreasonable.

He think buying an Edge at a lower trim is likely worth it because it is a solid vehicle.  But paying over $50k for one is not in his wheelhouse for what you get.

PS: I own a 2018 Edge.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 70 Stang said:

Is a CD6 Edge what's coming?

Thats the current rumor or its getting replaced by a 3 row/7 seater C based product-but then again that might for other parts the world. 

If it does go CD6, the Edge would basically be a Mustang CUV. 

• Like 1

How can you say it's too expensive when there is nothing else available at that price point with that type of performance?

You have to step up to a luxury brand which is $10K - $30K more.

ST is the new Sport.  It's the base performance model tuned by Ford Performance.   Nothing more, nothing less.  There is no "ST certification" that says it has to meet any specific performance criteria.  And basing expectations on Fiesta and Focus ST which are far smaller and much lighter and much lower to the ground is silly.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, akirby said:

How can you say it's too expensive when there is nothing else available at that price point with that type of performance?

You have to step up to a luxury brand which is $10K - $30K more.

ST is the new Sport.  It's the base performance model tuned by Ford Performance.   Nothing more, nothing less.  There is no "ST certification" that says it has to meet any specific performance criteria.  And basing expectations on Fiesta and Focus ST which are far smaller and much lighter and much lower to the ground is silly.

I think this has more than enough performance for enough buyers to justify it.

This is not an "R" or "GT" badge. "ST" is just a bit more fun for a bit more money.

• Like 1

It is not a bad vehicle at all but Ford should have kept the Sport for the rest of this production cycle and gone ST when the vehicle is updated. The Sport was very nice and had they just kept the name it would have received more favorable reviews with the updates they did. The Explorer ST will get better reviews.

11 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

A CD6 Edge is coming but it will be FWD, not RWD.

CD6 has 2 variants:

1. CD6R - Explorer and Aviator for MY2020

2. CD6F - Next Edge and Nautilus for MY2023

This. 

Remember that CD6 is more a collection of components than a singular "platform."

People I know are *very* optimistic on the NG Edge, though they're rightfully pissed at the timeline.  

12 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

A CD6 Edge is coming but it will be FWD, not RWD.

CD6 has 2 variants:

1. CD6R - Explorer and Aviator for MY2020

2. CD6F - Next Edge and Nautilus for MY2023

Interesting! So I guess it has as much to do with which engine/trans combinations they intend to use (certain engines will only be transverse from now on), as the size of the vehicle?

As others have noted, for a negative review he makes reasonable arguments. His biggest beef is that this is a sportified SUV that doesn't really match Ford's advertised hype, which seems fair enough.

His main detractions:

- too expensive for too little improvement from Titanium

- ST adds stupid fake engine noise (this really bugs me too, and so many automakers are now doing it)

- mediocre interior materials, fit and finish, a little noisy inside

- AWD has torque steer when pushed

- poor choice of gear ratios

His main kudos:

- great engine

- very comfortable ride

- remarkably good handling

Other than the ST seats he likes (though for me, they are not comfortable) it sounds like what he really wanted was the old Sport, which in reality is what this is. Titanium with the 2.7 would indeed be nice if they still offered it.

As for the price, I did a quick comparison with the corporate cousin, and for $50k you can get a Nautilus Select with AWD and 2.7 and the climate package that gets you everything the ST has with a much nicer and very quiet interior and no fake engine noise. Personally, in my 2.7/AWD Nautilus I haven't noticed problems with the gear ratios on the new 8-speed, nor have I felt FWD-style torque steer problems, but then I may not be trying to push it like a sports car. I would never dare putting that 2.7 twin turbo together with FWD; that would indeed be asking for trouble.

This vehicle has great acceleration and, taking physics into account, good handling. But honestly, it's an SUV. It is top heavy and big. It's no Mustang.

That said, I too very much hope the NG moves over to RWD/AWD architecture. We'll see.

Edited by Gurgeh

17 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

This. 

Remember that CD6 is more a collection of components than a singular "platform."

People I know are *very* optimistic on the NG Edge, though they're rightfully pissed at the timeline.  

Hmmm.........  so cd6 really is FWD/RWD/AWD as reported.   I wonder if the engine is longitudinal?  If not, why wouldn't they just use an extended C2?

I suspect there will also be electric motors involved....