New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
jcartwright99

Possible PTU Issue in my Fusion

Today I was due for an oil change so since quicklane was swamped, I took it to my buddies shop to get it done. Once they got the plastic part off the undercarriage the tech noticed that my PTU looked like it had a leak. Since I am still under warranty, he didn't touch it but said I should get it checked out. Before I left the shop, I scheduled an appointment for Thursday at the dealer to check it out.

Not a huge deal, as these things happen. However, with Fords history with PTU's should I be worried? It literally has only been 5k since my last oil change at Quicklane so if it was leaking one would assume they would have said something. I just want to know if it is low,  is it possible that I could have shortened it's life span? I don't have all the details now since it's only been visually checked. Essentially, I just want to know if i should push for a new PTU or get it warrantied for longer due to the fact of the leak. All thoughts are appreciated.

Mods, move the thread if you want but I posted in the general forum because it gets the most traffic (more opinions).

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

Today I was due for an oil change so since quicklane was swamped, I took it to my buddies shop to get it done. Once they got the plastic part off the undercarriage the tech noticed that my PTU looked like it had a leak. Since I am still under warranty, he didn't touch it but said I should get it checked out. Before I left the shop, I scheduled an appointment for Thursday at the dealer to check it out.

Not a huge deal, as these things happen. However, with Fords history with PTU's should I be worried? It literally has only been 5k since my last oil change at Quicklane so if it was leaking one would assume they would have said something. I just want to know if it is low,  is it possible that I could have shortened it's life span? I don't have all the details now since it's only been visually checked. Essentially, I just want to know if i should push for a new PTU or get it warrantied for longer due to the fact of the leak. All thoughts are appreciated.

Mods, move the thread if you want but I posted in the general forum because it gets the most traffic (more opinions).

I would be interested in what you find out J....keep us all looped in and good luck.

There was never really a pattern of catastrophic failure with that style PTU. Your most likely dealing with an intermediate shaft seal leak if I had to guess. 

On 3/10/2019 at 8:16 AM, theDuff said:

There was never really a pattern of catastrophic failure with that style PTU. Your most likely dealing with an intermediate shaft seal leak if I had to guess. 

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. They assured me after they cracked it open that it had plenty of fluid. The service writer said I was lucky to catch it that fast. He said most folks don't pay attention or don't notice. Should be finished tomorrow.  Let's hope this was just a scare and I don't have anymore issues.