F-150 diesel coming to the Aviator?

Lookie, a diesel in an Aviator prototype. Could the F-150's 3.0L V6 PowerStroke be coming next year to the Aviator and/or Explorer? Seems odd, as other than in work vehicles diesel is dying pretty quick (already pretty much gone in the U.S. and dropping fast in Europe, which used to love the things).

http://fordauthority.com/2019/03/exclusive-new-video-confirms-lincoln-aviator-diesel-incoming/

Edited by Gurgeh

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It could be for China ??‍♂️

China bans diesel for light passenger vehicles so that's not for China. Lincoln is sold in Middle East but gas is so cheap there (like in the US) that in general no one wants diesel.

But I think we are reading too much into the whole Lincoln thing. Ford has long said Explorer is going to be part of global product portfolio and I've long predicted that diesel will be part of the engine options overseas, especially for Europe.

The Aviator was previewed as a concept and officially unveiled as production vehicle few months before Explorer. So Ford powertrain engineers probably decided to do engine calibration and durability testing in a pre-prdouction Aviator instead of a camouflaged Explorer prototype. It doens't necessarily mean there will be a diesel Aviator, or one that will be for sale in the US.

• Like 2

Honestly, just sounds like injectors being a bit loud because the engine sound deadening shroud isn't on.  I can't imagine all those Lincoln dealerships having to stock parts to fix diesel components because of ONE vehicle.  I could see maybe a diesel Explorer (for worldwide markets), where they just used an Aviator to throw off media reporters, like this one who was left alone with a running vehicle he caught on a phone cam (rolling eyes).

The 3.0L Power Stroke V6 Turbo Diesel has been a disaster in our dealership's market. The F-Series customers looking for a diesel know well that it's an option for the Super Duty models but few if any know that it's even available as an option in the F-150's. Ford's practically begging Dealers to order F-150's with the Power Stroke Diesel but has done little if any marketing to promote its availability other than the early press releases from what I've seen. The F-150 Diesel upgrade cost isn't unreasonable but the diesel engine appeals to a certain customer.   

Vignale Aviator diesel for Europe?

Vignale is the "luxury brand" of Ford in Europe, and now has a complete line up of luxury version of the  Edge, Mondeo, Kuga, S-Max, Galaxie, Focus and Fiesta. Why not a new, exclusive model for the "brand" with the Aviator?

An Explorer diesel version for Europe is another posibility, but why use the Aviator body for test it?