Best way to clean blue dye from jeans off of leather seats?

Mel98

8 hours ago, Mel98 said:

Has anyone had their jeans fade onto the leather seats? Whats the best thing to use to clean them?

Hi Mel.  It is not unusual in any and all cars with leather interiors, and is more visible on lighter colored leathers. You can purchase any top name leather cleaners and conditioners to clean your seats.  Brands such as Meguiar's, Mother's, Tanners Preserve, Griot's etc. Keep in mind that modern automotive leather seating surfaces have a clear, thin, protective micro-coating. You do not want to do anything to damage or rub off that micro-coating. Whatever you use, do not rub too hard. Better to apply two or three times than rub hard and damage the leather coating and leather.

There are one-step and/or two-step products. One step products combine a cleaner and conditioner in one bottle. An example would be "Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner". Two-step products have two bottles containing separate cleaners and conditioners. An example would be "Tanner's Preserve Leather Cleaner", and "Tanner's Preserve Leather Conditioner". Some people prefer the one-step products as they are quicker and easier to use.  Other people prefer two-step products, feeling they do a better job overall.

I use the products named above for many years and are happy with them.  Either will take off your blue jean dye if you follow the directions correctly.  I am sure others will jump in and recommend their own favorite products. Take all the recommendations, go to your automotive store and pick out one you like. 

You can even use a mild soap and water to clean the leather. Periodic conditioning is always a good idea.

Hope this information helps.  Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Ford/Lincoln has their own brand of spray on cleaner that comes in a quart size spray bottle that is about 15.00. It works extremely well and doesn't leave a residue.  You should have gotten a 2 sample packet with your new Navigator.  It removes denim ink easily without affecting your leather. If I am going to be driving for several hours with dark jeans I grab a bath towel fold it in half and tuck it into the seat. It beats cleaning the seat constantly.  It is amazing how much ink transfers to the towel.