2020 Hyundai sonata

T-dubz

4 minutes ago, Anthony said:

That is actually really nice.  Rear end is very Accord.  Interior is gorgeous.

Makes me wonder if the Fusion will even make it 2021.

I'm feeling Lincoln on the rear and a Callum Brothers front end.

I'll say it again, Peter Schreyer is a hack to just rips on the designs of others.

• Like 1

Very nice looking inside and out. For their sake, I hope they increase the quality of the materials inside the cabin because all the rentals I’ve had have been pretty subpar. 

I have to respect Hyundai/Kia, they really went from a garbage brand to acceptable in a relatively short time period.  I think that is impressive.

I am surprised they’ve dumped this much money into a redesign in this market segment.  Apparently they want to maintain as much as they can but certainly at a cost. 

Edited by tbone
  • Like 1

Investing money in a shrinking market is not always a bad thing. As more and more manufactures , GM, FORD decide to abandon the sedan segment there will always be a following of people not wanting an SUV/CUV. Either they do not require the room, or can afford the $$$ for an suv/cuv. I know many people that buy mid size sedan only as they like the ride of a sedan over the other. The fewer options on the market will drive those people to those offerings. There $$$ spent in RD will actually be less in the long run, as they will be spread across many more units of the same model than before. 

The last generation Sonata but them in the map, not because it was a great product, but it was attainable to those with bad credit, or rental fleets. GM/Ford/FCA abandoning sedans might be their saving grace to have "decent" sales. Article published months ago discussed how Sonata kinda lost their way with pricing and was actually more expensive than Camry's, but because the perception of "Oh its a cheap brand", people kept purchasing without realizing there were better or cheaper Camrys..or as been mentioned, "Toyota financing wouldn't qualify that buyer, and Hyundai would".  I think the days of 300K+ sedan sales are probably over even for the strongest of them CamCord.

15 hours ago, akirby said:

Well, they don’t have trucks or vans or commercial vehicles or sports cars to spend money on in North America so they can afford to spend a little more on sedans.

Also, Hyundai Sonata has good sales volume outside North America, allowing HMC to spread development costs. South Korea, China, Russia, Australia are major markets for the model.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

The last generation Sonata but them in the map, not because it was a great product, but it was attainable to those with bad credit, or rental fleets. 

Fleet dumping has been an issue at Hyundai in the past few years. Fleet sales percentage exceeded 25% in 2016, it came down since then but is still well above the 10% that automotive industry experts consider healthy. 

Sonata isn't any more or less "attainable" to retail buyers with bad credit than any other similarly priced car.